Help With This disc Brake set up on a 620

whitey01

Everyone I can not take the stress any more. This is what I plan to do

1) Wilwood Front Brake Conversion Kit

2) Wilwood Brake Master Cylinder

3) Power Brake Boster

This stuff is all new to me my rims will not fit on the disc brake system

I am thinking of getting some (wheel spacers) I never even head of this till yesterday

If I get 1/4 thickness the rim will still rub on the Disc brake. do you think this will work for my set up (Below)

I am a nervous wreck Is there any thicks we need to do bleeding these thing A night mare would be in stalling all these parts an it not working propertly

http://www.ezaccessory.com/5_6_Lug_Spacer_p/603xl.htm

• 1/2" in thickness
  • fit 5 lug with standard 5 1/2"and 6 lug with 5 1/2" bolt pattern
  • fit 5 lug 135mm and 6 lug 135 mm bolt pattern
  • light aluminum

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you could choose not to do it. The stock 4 wheel 10" drum brakes work very well. Their disadvantage is that they must be adjusted regularly.

Spacers are ok but now the rim sits further out and there are fewer threads for the nuts to cling to. Usually longer studs are used if doing this.

I put chevy of ford 6 bolt rims on. Probably 15" as well. They clear my Toyota 4 pot calipers. Have you looked at '78 and up 620 rims? They are different than earlier 620rims so they clear the disc brake calipers.

Well you could choose not to do it. The stock 4 wheel 10" drum brakes work very well. Their disadvantage is that they must be adjusted regularly.

Spacers are ok but now the rim sits further out and there are fewer threads for the nuts to cling to. Usually longer studs are used if doing this.

I put chevy of ford 6 bolt rims on. Probably 15" as well. They clear my Toyota 4 pot calipers. Have you looked at '78 and up 620 rims? They are different than earlier 620rims so they clear the disc brake calipers.

I don't know what I am doing I will be the helper holding the flash light an getting the tools I just want to stop an make this easy for every body i all ready have the rims do you think these spacers are the right size to fit the hub!!

I have to confess.. I already bought all this stuff... We all ready installed it an it is not working. The brake are going to the floor an not stopping very good. I have a 6 lug 1/4 spacer on the fronts. The back space dose not cover the brakes so I put 2 washers on the 6 lug spacer to make the wheel fit with out rubbing agianst the disc brakes. only till I can figure out what to do. I am in way over my head.. An I am hard headed a loser dumb an many things

I just want to drive my Datsun 620 I am stuck I am learning after this is done an I have to do it a gian I will know how to do this

I had no idea what I was doing front wilwood an rear drums are a bad combo I am learning as I go an it is costing to much$$

So I have

fronts wilwood disc set up

wilwood master

reman power brake boster

how do Iget this stuf to work

I know I write like a cave man I have been told many times

• Like 1

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder?

Did you install the calipers with the bleeder towards the bottom?

Which Wilwood master cylinder do you install? Bore size?

Were the brakes working before you started working on them?

How about posting some pics so we can see your install and maybe we see something obvious!!!

These are some very specific question, if you cant answer them, I cant help.

whitey01 [I know I write like a cave man I have been told many times.]

There is a reason for that. Really makes us want to try to help a person when we cant even decipher their jumblefucked post. Do you work on your truck with the same giveashit as your writing?

I will have some oics tonight I am going to try to do a you tube vid also..

Pretty sure we bench bleeded I will verfiy

Same with calipers with the bleeder towards the bottom

The bore is 1 inch

I had to be very care full driving with the old drums system

I have to check about the load valve still in the system?

I have allways been a 50% er an working on my skills.I know an admit my weakness an trying to improve

Bleeder should be at the top. Air will rise to the top so you can let it out. If the bleeder is down the air is trapped. Swap the calipers to the opposite sides and the bleeders should be up.

whitey01 [I know I write like a cave man I have been told many times.]

There is a reason for that. Really makes us want to try to help a person when we cant even decipher their jumblefucked post. Do you work on your truck with the same giveashit as your writing?

Easy big guy. Writing and grammar are not the same a mechanical skills. Take a look at Hainz's spelling sometime. (no offense Maui)

Good call on the bleeders.

Ok I have another confession I did not know this guy before the brake swap. I started talking to this guy about brakes an he sounded like a million bucks. I ordered up the parts an brought them over.

We removed the wheel. drum . an all the parts behind to the axle. The back plate looked very well cut!! then the rotor went on smooth then the pads in the calipter then we had our 1st problem they was no place for the L shaped tube fitting to go. Off the the brake shop to see what we can do. we had to for get the L Shape an add one stright fitting 2 Pices.

So we countiune on an we add the brake fitting to the calipter up above the fender then we saw fluild leak out of the middle of the wilwood calipter (that is were the L shaped Fitting was to go) there went 20 buck on fittings

Moving on we go to put the tire on an No Fitty) Off to the tire shop to see what we can do I was going to buy 2 cheap rims with a larger back space to drive home. ..long story short that did not work an after 3 hours an 3 tire shops I had 6 lug 1/4 spacers now the guy is driving crazy taking bong hits . I said I fucked up again.

We get back an put the spacer on still (no fitty) we look for odd shape washers to make room. now the tire fits scraping the calipter. It is getting late I decide I am going to cut my loses there an try to leave with the old drum MAster Brake cyc. The brakes are so bad that we decide to put the Wilwood MBC on I could tell I was in throulbe. after we bleed the brakes ( No Bench Bleed ) is is not working.

I tell my new friend take me to the train station. BUT WAIT HE WANTS TO TEST THE BRAKES MY NEW FRIEND GETS IN AN DRIVES AWAY OH SHIT THERE ARE NO BRAKES AT ALL HE CRASHES IN TO HIS OWN CAR IN FRONT OF HIM NOW I HAVE BODY WORK WASTED TONS OF MONEY WITH NOW BRAKES tomorrow I will buy a Power Brake Boster hoping that will cover all bases. to save time I have it FEdXXX to his house.

He Calls me the same day the brake booster arrives telling me its done but going to need new rims to solve all the problems an he fixed the body work. When We arrive I can see he is wasted an drunk an looks hurt bad

Now i see more body work damage The hood is damaged an the vallace below the win shield is pushed out of shape.

I need

2 Fenders

Front Bumper

lower front vallace an hood

Plus i spent a lot of money on front brakes that don't work

I drive around the block an call a tow truck to tow me 75 miles home at midnight then a narbor comes out yelling at me an the tow truck driver for waking her up an she is calling the police.

I must look real DUMB right now but this is only hafe of it. i had motor work done all so but that is a differnt topic If I add it all to one post one of you guys might stop bu an take my datsun from me an kick me out of the Ratsun Group for being a DUMMY

Here are a coulple vids hope it works

W in TF??????

Where to start? How is him driving your truck into an accident your expense????

You already have a brake booster on your truck... don't add more problems!!!!!!!

Stop listening to people telling you how great an expert they are. You seem easily led around. Get the hell away from your 'new friend' and stay home.

• Like 1

Same with calipers with the bleeder towards the bottom

Bleeder should be at the top of the caliper to allow the lighter are to rise above the heavy brake fluid.

I hope the guy is paying to have the body work done, do not let him do the work.

I know i am easy led around thats why my truck has been sitting in front of my house for 3 years

His wife was bitchin at him all day there was no way he is going to pay I was toast I am lucky it was not worse

Yep the whole thing sucks big time this is only hafe the story wait for part 2

I realy have to find out were the bleeder is on the brakes i did not see were he was doing that I was the brake pusher from the vid did it look like it was installed wrong

This guy is not going to pay for body work an i hope I never see him agian (pay for body work I had to pay to get my car back

With all the parts an stuff done am I that far from having a truck with brakes that work any idea or should I park the truck for 3 more years ( It is not for sale ) I am hard headed!!

It would appear that you have all the necessary parts to make the system work. Bleeding the master cylinder is your first step, then you can start trying to get the air out of the system that your "friend" introduced.

Anybody can bleed a brake system, but at this point it is going to take some patience as your "friend" has made it a lot of work for you.

Research master cylinder bleeding(youtube), that will help you get this process started.

• Like 1

Just want to thank every one for there info!! This is what I have to do in this order If I have this right

Wait till Part 2 when my new friend did the motor that was that was done 1st before the brakes!!

1) Remove MBC an bench Bleed

2) Reinstal MBC

3) Complete Bleed job Front an Rear could take a while

I Am guessing that I do not need to worry about a PROPORTIONING VALVE at this time