210 wheel offset (series B310)

ggzilla

210 stock wheel offset is 30mm. But they look so tucked in under the body, certainly it can be improved.

1979_Datsun_210_Coupe.jpg

Another wrinkle is that B310 front track wider is than rear track (thanks to datsunfreak for pointing this out) -- a whopping 30mm wider according to my factory service manual. Probably because Nissan did a strut swap at the factory (they use modified A10 struts) A12-powered B310s (non-USA, including Canada) have a narrower front track. BTW, that width difference is mainly in the ball joint width, swapping in the canada ball joints would bring the track in about 25mm. datsunfreak says the popular 280ZX strut/brake swap will do the same.

So here are some recommendations

WIDE TRACK (rims tucked just inside fender, with no tire rubbing)

On the rear, 205 tires on 7.5" +30 wheels might fill the wheelwell. Or a more modest 175 tire on 5" +10 wheel might look the same by leaving a lot of space between wheel and spring. For the front use +15 more offset and 195 tires.

FLUSH WHEEL (some tire rubbing, rolled fenders recommended)

datsunfreak: "For a 7" wheel, +0 to +10 works best on the rear, +10 to +20 works best on the front"

• Like 2
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forum member Lonestar has 15x7 +0 Rewinds on his car. Notice how the rears are 5mm inside the fender but the fronts are 5mm outside the fender?

IMAG0050.jpg

Reducing the front track would tuck the fronts in better.

Three ways to reduce front track:

* Rims with higher offset

* Swap to 280ZX struts/hubs

* Swap to 210 Canada A12 ball joints (might need a special steering knuckle for this swap)

this is a +15 front +0 rear:

P1080499.jpg

One of my old cars, 13x6 +0, rears tucked in, fronts flush

normal_210wallpaper.jpg

Another old one of mine, 14x6 +11, fronts tucked slightly, rears tucked a lot...

210sam3.jpg

• Like 2

FLUSH WHEEL (some tire rubbing, rolled fenders recommended)

datsunfreak: "For a 7" wheel, +0 to +10 works best on the rear, +10 to +20 works best on the front"

So. If i were to get Z six spoke wheels, 14x7 (I believe with a +10 offset), the rear would be flush, and the fronts would poke out a little bit correct? And when I switch over to 280zx front suspension, they will be the same as the rear, and I wont need +10-+20. Correct?

So. If i were to get Z six spoke wheels, 14x7 (I believe with a +10 offset),

14x6 +9, last I checked.

the rear would be flush, and the fronts would poke out a little bit correct?

Fronts poke a tiny bit, rears tuck a tiny bit, based on a 185/60-14 tire.

And when I switch over to 280zx front suspension, they will be the same as the rear, and I wont need +10-+20. Correct?

Correct.

I measured the tire edge-to-body-side today:

* Rear: 2.5 inches

* Front: 1-3/8 inches

That hand-measured 1-1/8 inch difference (29 mm) in tread width matches the 30mm factory track spec. pretty good.

This indicates that even track would also match up evenly relative to body sides. Win-Win.

With stock suspension, if you get flush wheels for the front -- say 6"+0 -- then 6" -15 should make the back flush too. Just keep in mind there is an approx. 3/4" fender lip in the rear which can be rolled for flush fitment, but the front lip is hidden by the plastic inner fender.

The 280ZX brake swap is sounding better and better. It has same spindle-to-strut angle (kingpin alignment) of 8 degrees, but the hub face is closer inboard -- so the camber stays the same. If you were to fit the Canada balljoints (which pull the bottom of the strut in) it would be give more camber which is not good. After the swap you can use the same wheels front & back without the fronts sticking out further.

• Like 1

Will any Rota Shakotan's fit my 79 B310? They make me droooooolllll !

With 280ZX struts, either the 15x7 +4 with a 195/50-15 for a regular fit, or the 15x8 +0 with a 195/50-15 for a very flush/agresssive fit.

Ideally, you'd run the 15x7 with a 175/55-15 up front and the 15x8 with a 195/50-15 in the back. That can be done with the stock struts. And look badass. B)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So is there a verdict on what the optimal tire sizes (front and back) would be for 280z 6-spokes (14" x 6"), to fill out the fenders with now modifications needed (e.g. rolling fenders, lowering, raising, etc.)?

Thanks!! Apologies for my denseness.