any thoughts on oil filter magnets

laotsu

I was changing my oil today and I thought "what the hell Obama won, why not put some of my spare super strong magnets on the filter?". what are your opinions on oil filter magnets? do they do anything? do they help? do they hurt?

this is what I thought to do first

026.jpg

and then I decided this might be better

028.jpg

any opinions on either configuration? Bear in mind that these are neodymium magnets so they are FUCKING strong.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are great magnets to use. I actually do the same thing with my oil filter except I use a rod style magnet. Mine is ultra strong as well. The magnet does catch alot of extremely fine particles of metal. It can greatly extend the life of your filter. I was rmeoving the positive lead on the back of my alternator the other day, the magnet on my filter sucked my 10mm wrench to it and I had a lovely spark show in my face!

I was rmeoving the positive lead on the back of my alternator the other day, the magnet on my filter sucked my 10mm wrench to it and I had a lovely spark show in my face!

Yeah they are considered industrail hazards by OSHA if they are like more than, I think, a cubic inch. they kept jumping off and stiking to my frame in the first config so I changed it.

Stock oil drain plugs don't have a magnet, only the gearbox one does. You can get plugs with magnets, though.

The filter case won't shield the inside from magnetism; it actually transfers TO the case, although the magnet will need to stay on since the case won't retain it very long. The oil filter cases aren't thick enough to block the magnetic lines of force.

I showed a picture a few years ago proving that. I stuck a magnet on a stick that I use for locating nuts and bolts I drop in the grass on the outside of a truck hood. I then took a washer and held it up to the inside of the hood, opposite of the magnet. The washer stuck.

Sure, if you used 3/4" steel plate, it'll disrupt the magnetic lines of force enough to make it useless, but filter cans are thinner than the body sheet metal. Hell, a strong magnet stuck to the bottom of the oil pan will do the same thing, though you'd have to remove the pan to clean the iron sludge out.

Magnetism will flow around a metal shield rather than penetrate. Putting one on the outside will do very little on the inside of an oil filter or oil pan. Needs to be inside with the oil. If they are that strong just place on the pan plug... it's not going anywhere.

Doug...

Well it might if in contact on the outside but it will lessen the force. Held away and the metal case will shield the weaker magnetic lines. Anti magnetic watches were just an outer case made of cheap steel.

Also if it did attract particles how do you retrieve them???

no the mag is strong enough to attract just fine through a thin filter wall and as far as the metal particles you just pullt the filter, remove the magnets and toss the filter. It just assures that less metal debris is in the system. In fact if you leave a magnet on a piece of metal long enough it turns the other piece into a magnet, this is how some magnets are made.

Datsunaholic the best way to prove your experiment is to put the mag and bar assembly under a piece of paper then sprinkle iron filings on top, it will show the mag fields perfectly.

It been done. Well that not entirely accurate. There is a material that hardens when electricity is passed through it. GM uses this fora shock absorber. Or did.

OK it's an oil with metal particles in it (magnetorheological fluid) that becomes thicker when acted on by a magnetic field. Increase the magnetic field and the shock becomes firmer.

Magnetism will flow around a metal shield rather than penetrate. Putting one on the outside will do very little on the inside of an oil filter or oil pan. Needs to be inside with the oil. If they are that strong just place on the pan plug... it's not going anywhere.

Doug...

Well it might if in contact on the outside but it will lessen the force. Held away and the metal case will shield the weaker magnetic lines. Anti magnetic watches were just an outer case made of cheap steel.

Also if it did attract particles how do you retrieve them???

It would be more effective on the pan plug. That part is true.

I never said the force would be full strength. You would need a relatively strong magnet- a refrigerator magnet on an oil filter won't be enough (and likely would fall off anyway). But if a magnet is strong enough to stick HARD to an oil filter can by itself, it's strong enough to attract suspended particles in the oil through the can. A fridge magnet INSIDE the filter would be just as effective, but how are you gonna get the magnet in there?

You don't need to retrieve the particles unless you're doing an analysis. Some folks always cut their filters open- they even sell filter cutters at Harbor Fright.

I wasn't commenting on the benefits of using magnets on the filter vs using a magnetic pan plug, just commenting that either way would work. Personally, it's not worth the bother, I'd think the magnets would fall off due to vibration and the 3rd world pavement we have here. I'd just use a magnetic plug- in fact my Chevy Diesel has one.

• 1 month later...

Oil filter magnets? This is clown shoes. Might as well wear tin foil hats. 40 year old motors that have metal particles floating around have flushed them out with the first oil change. If you have metal particles now you're doing something wrong. If small enough to pass the filter they're too small to worry about.

Metal particles, the five stages

Denial: I don't have metal particles in my oil!!! Never happened.

Anger: WTF do you mean I have metal particles in my oil! Fuck off or I'll kill you!!!

Bargaining: OK, ok I'm sorry just please please let me have my Fram filter back I'll never complain again if I can just have it the way it was I'll never ask again.

Depression: What's the use, I don't care about the metal particles any more. The motor is probably ready to seize from them anyway.

Acceptance: Well at least the magnets will attract and collect 'them'.