411 Master Cylinder Options

p411

Hello everyone, just bought my 2nd 411 this time its a wagon !!! Ill post pics up soon. Anyhow just rebuilt all the wheel cylinders they were frozen, anyhow got em all cleaned up and redone. Bleeding the thing just wouldnt happen air and fluid keeps coming out. I checked and bled all corners no leaks anywhere so the only thing I havent replaced is the MC. Looking around online only thing available is the 520 MC. I bought MKLOTZ disc kit awhile back but not ready to do the conv. just yet, kinda jus want to get this thing on road fast and cheap "THE RATSUN WAY"

So any input will be appreciated right now im at buying a 520 single res. and routing the brake line to insert through the top. Has anyone done this ? Thanks guys.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You might pm ppeters914 or gcmustang. Neither are very active at the moment, so I doubt they'll see this thread.

The brakes are simply a hydraulic pump/piston arrangement. You just need something to push the fluid. The 520 single res will work......if the bore size is the same or really close, it will probably work just like the 411 m/c. The question is, will it mount up easy enough. I don't remember if the 411 has a captured pushrod like the 520 or not. I'm nearly positive the pushrods are different lengths between the 411 and 520, so you'll want to compare those and see if the 411's will work in the 520's m/c or not. I seem to recall that the studs on the firewall of the 411 fit the dual res m/c just right and I didn't have to modify the holes on the m/c.

Took awhile to find.....yep...new m/c goes in without mod which means you'd have to file the 520 holes.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/10125-410411-disc-brake-mod/page__st__120#entry182688

...more info on the pushrod

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/10125-410411-disc-brake-mod/page__st__140#entry183809

• Like 1

You might pm ppeters914 or gcmustang. Neither are very active at the moment, so I doubt they'll see this thread.

The brakes are simply a hydraulic pump/piston arrangement. You just need something to push the fluid. The 520 single res will work......if the bore size is the same or really close, it will probably work just like the 411 m/c. The question is, will it mount up easy enough. I don't remember if the 411 has a captured pushrod like the 520 or not. I'm nearly positive the pushrods are different lengths between the 411 and 520, so you'll want to compare those and see if the 411's will work in the 520's m/c or not. I seem to recall that the studs on the firewall of the 411 fit the dual res m/c just right and I didn't have to modify the holes on the m/c.

Took awhile to find.....yep...new m/c goes in without mod which means you'd have to file the 520 holes.

http://community.rat...120#entry182688

...more info on the pushrod

http://community.rat...140#entry183809

Hey Mike, Looks like the MC on the wagon you were working on had a 520 MC on it before you swapped it out to a dual res, I believe it is a 520 because of the upward line insert. Also if you look close the mounting holes they were adjusted out as you said they would need to be . Thanks again I may try this first and if not swap out to the Dual if all fails.

Also Mike whos wagon did this belong to so that I can PM him to verify thanks

Thanks to both Mikes

but RL411 No one has this new MC ,I even called nissan and they said no on the 46010-10800 do you know who does em?

Alright! Let's do this one step at a time!!!!

1- Log in to Datsunparts.com.

2- Under the "parts category list" [it's on the left side] click "Brakes 1500"

3- Order their part number 1560

This is the correct configuration Nabco 7/8 inch brake master cylinder with the outlet on the correct, engine block side, configuration to directly bolt in. Prebleed the master cylinder, hook up the pedal and brake line, bleed and drive off! See the picture in my posting that I referenced before, the push rod is fixed length, not the threaded original adjustable pushrod and is precisely the right length for the 411 sedan. The Nissan part number is on the box it comes in, plain brown wrapper, not the good old red white and blue Nissan box of old.

Now sit down. It costs $229. The good news is that if someone hasn't screwed with the current brake master cylinder installation you won't have to fabricate or rebend the original lines and you have a correct original Nissan part number installed.

End of hand holding, you're a big boy, do it yourself.

The guy's name is Doug Vandercouvering. I'm not sure he's on ratsun. I've only got the ipad fired up right now. I'll have to go back and look at that thread again tonight when the laptop is up. I love this gadget, but it's a bit slow sometimes.

Sorry Mike, but at $229, I'm not sure that's a viable option for an interim m/c. He's upgrading to front discs and will most likely put a dual res m/c in at that point. It's appealing since it just bolts straight in and it's nice to know that a direct replacement is available.

Alright! Let's do this one step at a time!!!!

1- Log in to Datsunparts.com.

2- Under the "parts category list" [it's on the left side] click "Brakes 1500"

3- Order their part number 1560

This is the correct configuration Nabco 7/8 inch brake master cylinder with the outlet on the correct, engine block side, configuration to directly bolt in. Prebleed the master cylinder, hook up the pedal and brake line, bleed and drive off! See the picture in my posting that I referenced before, the push rod is fixed length, not the threaded original adjustable pushrod and is precisely the right length for the 411 sedan. The Nissan part number is on the box it comes in, plain brown wrapper, not the good old red white and blue Nissan box of old.

Now sit down. It costs $229. The good news is that if someone hasn't screwed with the current brake master cylinder installation you won't have to fabricate or rebend the original lines and you have a correct original Nissan part number installed.

End of hand holding, you're a big boy, do it yourself.

Thanks for the detailed instructions Mike, but at $229 OUCH! I was hoping to do something to get on the road with. One day hopefully soon Im going to dual res. the thing for the conv.

The guy's name is Doug Vandercouvering. I'm not sure he's on ratsun. I've only got the ipad fired up right now. I'll have to go back and look at that thread again tonight when the laptop is up. I love this gadget, but it's a bit slow sometimes.

Sorry Mike, but at $229, I'm not sure that's a viable option for an interim m/c. He's upgrading to front discs and will most likely put a dual res m/c in at that point. It's appealing since it just bolts straight in and it's nice to know that a direct replacement is available.

Thanks Mike let know

Thanks for the detailed instructions Mike, but at $229 OUCH! I was hoping to do something to get on the road with. One day hopefully soon Im going to dual res. the thing for the conv.

If you could find some shop willing to rebuild your current master cylinder, and if they could find a rebuild kit it would cost you about $100 and with luck might last 1 or 2 years. $229 isn't a bad trade for 10 plus years of heavy duty. If you are going to a dual reservoir unit anyway, one of the above suggestions might work. Good luck, the world needs more 411s on the road!

By the way, the unit I quoted, and installed, is suited to front disc brakes, that's what my RL411 has and the Datsunparts master cylinder works just fine. If you are worried about the smaller reservoir [i'm not] you can transplant the reservoir from your existing unit and stop looking for a dual reservoir unit.

The basic design for the RL411 was to compete in "Production Sedan Road Race" category. The front disc brakes were designed off the upcoming 510 SSS units and the 7/8 Nabco was judged sufficiently rugged to withstand race conditions with the Akebono {Lockheed} front disc brakes.

• 5 months later...

Mike. Thanks you have answered a question I've had about the 411 mc working with disc brakes. My pl has the same mc and I am upgrading tote SSS disk brakes. Parts catalog shows a different part number for the SSS mc. A vendor on eBay has the 411 mc for sale