13b engine datsun swap information?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done it with a N/A and turbo motor in my race car project. Gone back to piston motor now as rotary was too class restrictive over here.

Have build photos.

Made my own fitting kit (some say it looks suspiciously like the maddat kit).

"If" I can be bothered I'll try and scan some of the pics I have. Photofuckit account is still playing up.

Basically, the three biggest problems I encountered were:

1. Clearance for the clutch slave cylinder pushrod. Here you generally need to cut a hole in the firewall to allow the rod to have enough throw,

2. On the turbo motor, clearance for the exhaust and the brake master cylinder and steering box. Obviously if you are doing this on a LHD this problem is negated although you still may need some snazzy bends to clear the steering idler, and

3. There is fuck all space for the oil cooler. It can be squeezed between the radiator and the inter cooler but you need to cut out the lower radiator support rail at the front of the chassis to get sufficient clearance.

You may also find some minor clearance problems with the gearbox. The shell I used is an auto which has the wider tunnel.

The series 5 gearbox mounted up with a 180b (610) gearbox cross member and a standard 510 rubber gearbox mount which just needed the holes slightly slotted.

Tail shaft needs to be converted to suitmazda yoke and I used a cutdown 510 tailshaft to suit.

With the rotarys that mount off the front of the motor (can't remember if these are series 4 or 5) I copied a maddat front mounting crossmember and welded this into the shell. Standard crossmember needs to have the engine mounts removed, and the control arm pins drilled out and 180'd so the crossmember clears the Mazda sump.

You should be able to get away with either a sway bar from a SR or FJ20 conversion. I can't remember wht I used, I just grabbed something out of my spares pile and it fit!

You need a Mazda radiator so the inlet and outlets line up with therotaryengine ones.

If you were in Australia it just so happens I have a complete fitting kit (except of tail shaft) for sale.

I mean I don't wanna race on the tracks I want a daily driver but I also wanna shut down any Honda or Acura that want to get next to me and make some noise.lol I wanna a rat with some at least 300hp all motor. Ppl don't drive datsun here in New York I wanna stand out with a sleeper.

Yea Australia is a bit far,lol but a buddy of mine builds rotary engines for the track and he can make me a street legal one a good price and he would help me install it as we'll. I think my only issue is going to the the motor mounts since cutting and and getting it to work won't be a problem. Oh the other issue would be the differential fitting but I rear on some post that the miata rear end would fit with minor cuts n fitting.

I'm buying this 1970 521 pick up. My first datsun here in New York but I use to own one back I'm the Dominican Republic, I wanna keep the body clean I wanna lower it abit and you know make it look real nice and rep up ratsun here in New York I don't see many ppl driving datsun, I also want to drive it on the regular and since there so many ppl out here with fast civics and acutes and you know the basics lol I wanna have the rat and be able to shut them up with some good power under the hood. I hear the rx7 13b is a powerful motor and reliabable I have a buddy that port them and build them for racing so I thought that he can build me one he said yes he would. I wanna know what I need to make it work good on my datto I know the differential is a big one for putting on power. I wanna see a build just to have a idea of what I'm running into the motor is cover already what I need to know is motor mount and dirential and breaks then I think from there on ill be able to figure it out if not i got a great group of ppl here that can help with any questions. Thanks guys!

The 521 already has large brakes on the rear.

The front drums are OK when adjusted to spec. But you might want newer more powerful front brakes so it stops like a modern vehicle.

Rotor motor mounts are like most engine swaps. Cut the Datsun horn/uprights and weld mazda style plates to it.

13B in Datsun

5448.jpg