later 720 front bumper wanted van/port area

If anyone has a lead on a later model front bumper let me know, I'd be willing to give $40 in nice condition (they are 80$ new) I have brackets and lights, I just got rid of mine off my 80 because like the 83-86 better. I prefer black to chrome, as I will probably have to rework it anyway and paint it black, but either way...

I've got my eye on CL as well.

Thanks!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The sheet metal is differant on the later models than the early models, the holes for air ect. going to the radiator are in differant places, what you need to find is an early thin type front bumper like I have on my 1980 model, it looks proper, unlike the deeper type that came on most 720 trucks till 82/83ish.

DSCN0830.jpg

DSCN0051.jpg

Look at what I bought recently.

DSCN0054.jpg

DSCN0053-1.jpg

The sheet metal is differant on the later models than the early models, the holes for air ect. going to the radiator are in differant places, what you need to find is an early thin type front bumper like I have on my 1980 model, it looks proper, unlike the deeper type that came on most 720 trucks till 82/83ish.

I don't like the look of the thin bumper with the phony rubber ends, and I can fab the later to work for me, although they look very similar mounting-wise and am not sure if they won't just be a direct bolt on. I know the grills and valance is different, but I think it will work... maybe with a little persuasion... ;)

You wouldn't happen to have a spare set of 720 springs laying around you want to sell would you?

My bumper is not like most of the early bumpers, it is thinner, only 2 inches deep compared to the normal 4 inch deep common version that looks fred flintstone era, I do agree the plastic corners look goofy, but it looks strange with the sheet metal holes not aligned also.

The lower sheet metal can be replaced so the holes look correct I beleave, and the bumper may just bolt right on, I can't recall about the 80 model year on that, but the 80 model is not made to use the later model grills(83+) corner marker lights, ect; as it only has the headlight mount holes for the 80-82 model hardware, the 83+ hardware has the headlight buckets an inch lower.

I have lots of sets of leaf springs, what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Lower? Higher? Haul more weight?

DSCN0830.jpg

DSCN0051.jpg

Look at what I bought recently.

DSCN0054.jpg

DSCN0053-1.jpg

WOW nice conversion! I was thinking of getting one of those grills also. Did you buy the headlight buckets too, or just made some or used another model buckets?

My bumper is not like most of the early bumpers, it is thinner, only 2 inches deep compared to the normal 4 inch deep common version that looks fred flintstone era, I do agree the plastic corners look goofy, but it looks strange with the sheet metal holes not aligned also.

The lower sheet metal can be replaced so the holes look correct I beleave, and the bumper may just bolt right on, I can't recall about the 80 model year on that, but the 80 model is not made to use the later model grills(83+) corner marker lights, ect; as it only has the headlight mount holes for the 80-82 model hardware, the 83+ hardware has the headlight buckets an inch lower.

I have lots of sets of leaf springs, what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Lower? Higher? Haul more weight?

I still like the later bumper over the thin early, I think the holes will fairly unnoticeable. I really don't want to replace the valance, as mine is already painted to match, and I don't like the later grille and signals. I guess I'll have to spend a day at the junk yard swapping parts to see how it will come all out...

I would like rear springs to haul more weight so as to not bottom out when I lean on my rig (not actually that bad, lol) I would like it to stay at roughly the same height, but I can change blocks/etc if need be... eventually I plan to notch the frame and add air overloads so I can haul more weight, just looking for some less expensive options for now. The back is pretty soft (just a 3 leaf setup now), was thinking I could go to the 4 leaf spring setup, just add a leaf, or find some 4x4 springs...

I still like the later bumper over the thin early, I think the holes will fairly unnoticeable. I really don't want to replace the valance, as mine is already painted to match, and I don't like the later grille and signals. I guess I'll have to spend a day at the junk yard swapping parts to see how it will come all out...

I would like rear springs to haul more weight so as to not bottom out when I lean on my rig (not actually that bad, lol) I would like it to stay at roughly the same height, but I can change blocks/etc if need be... eventually I plan to notch the frame and add air overloads so I can haul more weight, just looking for some less expensive options for now. The back is pretty soft (just a 3 leaf setup now), was thinking I could go to the 4 leaf spring setup, just add a leaf, or find some 4x4 springs...

4X4 leafs only have two regular leafs in them.

I have a few sets of leafs around here, mostly special ones that I don't want to sell for some reason unknown to me. :confused: :hmm: :lol:

But there are a few 520/521 types I will part with, although they would likely lift your rear a tad bit.

• 2 weeks later...

4X4 leafs only have two regular leafs in them.

I have a few sets of leafs around here, mostly special ones that I don't want to sell for some reason unknown to me. :confused: :hmm: :lol:

But there are a few 520/521 types I will part with, although they would likely lift your rear a tad bit.

I'll keep it in mind, I'd like to maybe find 4x4 springs as it sounds like they are slightly thicker and would allow me to take my blocks out and retain ride height... That or I'll take some measurements and head to PnP.

I'll keep it in mind, I'd like to maybe find 4x4 springs as it sounds like they are slightly thicker and would allow me to take my blocks out and retain ride height... That or I'll take some measurements and head to PnP.

Look for 4X4 leafs to lower your truck, look for early 521 leafs if you want to haul stuff.

This is my air bag setup, I use it when hauling heavy loads.

Notice the overload shocks, and count the leafs. :lol:

DSCN0407.jpg

DSCN0406.jpg

DSCN0408.jpg

Can't I have both? Low and haul? :D

Depends, do you care if you have a decent ride?

To make a long story short, no you can't with the stock frame setup, stuff has to be changed to haul and have a decent ride.

My 521KC doesn't haul a lot, it hits the frame in the rear every once in a while, I cringe everytime, as the bump stops have been removed, but I don't really haul much with it, as I have a truck for hauling big loads.

• 5 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.