quick question about 510 clutch master cylinder

jeph

i tried to search but all the part numbers are different, does anyone know if this will work in my 69 2 door 510? it only lists newer 510's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clutch-Master-Cylinder-37-81016-Nissan-280Z-510-610-710-810-1600-Datsun-SPL311-/250991730654?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3A510&hash=item3a7045dfde&vxp=mtr

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What the hell do you get for $12??????? Have you asked the Nissan dealer if they have a re-build kit for that size?. I got a kit for a slave once and did it. Had everything, bleeder nipple, rubber cover and boot piston spring.... everything.

• Like 1

there were to styles of clutch master cylinders.

mostly one style is sold now.So you might need to rove the metal line so be careful not to cross thread and buy hsoem brake/or flare nut wrenches cause they come in handy and are needed. 10/12/14mm for sure

If possible get a nissan unit. Most are Taiwan or Italian made units.

I never rebuilt one myself but I think I would buy a new taiwan than trust a rebuild that I do myself. HJust buy 2 units since they so cheap.

GGZilla I ordered mine from Rockauto also. ordered 2 of the one I needed(i used this). they sent 1 of each style. I told them I needed the one in the photo maybe was paked wrong in box. They resent the same one again. They let me keep the other no charge. Said no longer avail. Maybe they didnt change the photo.

It was a cheap taiwan unit,same as the ebay one . outlet is the same location.

I think I have a few lifetime supply of these now.

Rockauto is getting flaky. My mom ordered a carb float for a '73 620 and got a power steering hose for a '91 Tempo. Same part number but different brand. As bad as when I ordered a water pump for a B210 and got a water pump for a Chevy 454. Damn thing weighs almost as much as a B210 engine.

One of these days I'll have to try to sell off these oddball non-Datsun parts that get mislabelled and/or misshipped (usually money was refunded but they wouldn't take the stuff back- shipping cost too much).

I've never been able to rebuild one. Usually the bores are way too scored to ever be fixable without a proper hone and even then they still leak.

yeah i would prefer to find one on ebay since i can check feedback and paypal has insurance for any problems, i would rebuild mine but the problem is the line that screws into it is stripped so badly so id rather replace the whole unit and line.

Yesterday I was reading this post with mild interest. Today I'm reading more closely. I thought I had my '72 510 running after 5 years, but the clutch started acting weird. Bought a new slave cylinder, bled the system several times, but it only seemed to be getting worse. I was talking myself into pulling the tranny to see what I could see. This afternoon I decided the master cylinder is blown. A trip to Pull n Save? Mmm, maybe not. I remembered that is where I got the one that is bad! Sometimes even I have to buy new stuff, and this seems one of those times. And it remains to be seen if that is all the clutch problem, but until the hydraulics are fixed, I can't tell about the rest of it.

Since I'm using a bigger clutch (280z) on an L20b, is there a larger diameter master I can get, or are all Datsuns 5/8" diameter cylinder?

I remember installing the clutch master a couple of years ago, and threading the line in was kind of a pig. It threads in the side of the cylinder and is hard to get it threaded in straight. I don't know if it will work, but when I install the new cylinder, I think I'll try screwing the hard line in loosely before bolting the cylinder to the firewall, Maybe that will give a bit of wiggle room to get the line threaded in straight.

Len

I can vouch for the rockauto MC's. My MC shit the bed this year, bought 'NOS' a re-build kit off fleebay... it failed. Picked one up off rockauto and it bolted up nice and works perfectly! The output port on it was about 1/4" further towards the front of the car so I CAREFULLY bent the hard line and it screwed right in.

I never buy used Master Cylinder or clutch/wheel cylinders. These are parts that wear out more often that just abouy any part on the car. Buy remanufacturered, they are inexpensive.

Since I'm using a bigger clutch (280z) on an L20b, is there a larger diameter master I can get, or are all Datsuns 5/8" diameter cylinder?
Larger diameter master cylinder will make it harder to push the pedal down. Bigger as in heavy-duty/racing, or Bigger as in larger diameter? Neither call for a larger diameter Master Cylinder. I wouldn't start mixing and matching master/slave as the stroke travel is most important.

when I install the new cylinder, I think I'll try screwing the hard line in loosely before bolting the cylinder to the firewall
That's the best way to do it. The factory lines were precision bent so usually they go right in either way, but replacement hard lines are almost always not exactly right.