280zx: thinking rat rod bosozoku style, and off i go

Jomz Shakes

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IM FEELIN THAT SHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gorgeous, . and please remember people IM BROKE if that wasnt obvious , starting with all the mods i can do with little parts cost and lots of labor, little ass backwrds due to budget. i reall like the rear end of that car, that jdm datsun piece would look great with the tail lights i allready redded out. 

i must do those fenders from the first picture to make my boso pipes belong on the car.which means i need a front end, which means i need to paint the front end, 

which means i either paint the whole car "NOT READY" or just satin black the front bumper and fender flares until i paint the whole car way down the road. 

im a check out that website

Hey I'm right there with the broke sentiment! I'm just trying to offer helpful inspiration so when you get some $$$ you can funnel it into a rad project! 

Dont worry about nice paint at this point in your project, just get it all one color! Paint happens WAY later, particularly in these projects where your working your way through stuff. 

That site is pretty rad, although they rarely have anything more than the name of the car and maybe a car club listed. No info or parts suppliers. But, for awesome JDM inspiration, HTF is one of the best places to start!

Best of luck with your project! 

I'm broke and did this. Tokico springs and shocks. I like the stock bumpers but I want to trim out the square bumper extension things out and make it a little smoother. This was in an accident so I've been just slowly going toward the "rat" side of things with it.

The worst was the core support. Drilling out all the spot weld while it is on-car is tricky. The donor section wasn't so bad as it was already cut off and lying on the ground. I still haven't permanently mounted it... Just slammed in around 8-10 tec screws.... They back out from time to time. I took my time doing it. It was July, no A/C and a dirt floor. Took me about a month to get it back to running shape again. 

The worst was the core support. Drilling out all the spot weld while it is on-car is tricky. The donor section wasn't so bad as it was already cut off and lying on the ground. I still haven't permanently mounted it... Just slammed in around 8-10 tec screws.... They back out from time to time. I took my time doing it. It was July, no A/C and a dirt floor. Took me about a month to get it back to running shape again.

Dang, well mine was hit at my old job years ago and until this year I found a good donor car before that I had a few friends help but it wasnt the worlds best just enough to put a new hood on and drive it.

Thanks, i copied the idea from the internet

the mirrors are coming in next weekend,

i did just hook up the power function to them and i can kinda see thru them, but these convex mirrors should make them function properly and view clearly.

<-----impatient. lmao. Just got the new front end on my Z, thinking that some mirrors on the fender would be awesome, plus I just got paid! Anyone have the dimensions for the ZX fender mirrors, rather than the s30s?

i got a little too excited and skipped ahead so maybe this is too late/irrelevant or already discussed... but if you had the ambition what would REALLY be cool for your mirrors, is fender mounting the FUNCTIONAL power mirrors. like as is making an extension harness and keeping the power mirrors functional while mounting them on the fenders. dunno if thats been done but it should be if it hasnt. my two cents.

looking for some inspiration to do this suspension build myself, should i just go for it!?

the only part im worried about is the lower control arm bushings for the poly bushing kit in the front and rear, can i just use a propane torch on them like ive been seeing other people do? that seems SUPER easy if i could light the rubber on fire and let it all just burn on its own.  

after i install it my tech at work can do the alignment and look for my mistakes if there any/

ill have my buddy with me that has done a few suspension builds so i wont be lost. 

• 2 weeks later...

allright so i started on the suspension yesterday and ran into a huge problem!!!!

the left front tokico strut cartridge "that goes into the front left oem strut housing" is supposed to have a different size screw cap to go over the top of the strut cartridge which keeps in centered and in the housing.

it only came with ONE of these screw cap thingys!

we tried cutting the stock screw cap down half way but we'd have to mil out a bigger opening on the bottom to have it seat properly. 

im really going to have a tough time finding how to buy just this part from tokico, where should i order it from or what should i do??