280zx: thinking rat rod bosozoku style, and off i go

Jomz Shakes

I'm not sure exactly what 72240z is talking about.

I don't think you do either jomz. I mainly only suggusting the slim s30 bumpers. Not model specific.

You don't want this 280z bumper.

IMG_20121201_203153.jpg

Its worse than the 280zx bumper. You can't just

shave it down. It will look bulk shaped and awkward.

Even you do make a wrap around tube bumper

...... it will resemble a S30z more than a S130.

If your goal is too stay 80s z, leave the big l bumper on.

Hahaha

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one knows what they are talking about but you eh? lol

Try and find s30 bumpers on a s130, you'll find slim to none. Why? Because they look stupid on an s130. Beyond that it certainly doesnt look rat or bozo style.

Now not to get insulting but when you say something like "If your goal is too stay 80s z, leave the big l bumper on." I got to wonder if YOU know what you talking about lol. The threads name is "thinking rat rod bosozoku style, and off i go" Boso style SCREAMS tacky 80's style and even if it didnt an s130 isnt ever going to have the sleek look of a s30 even with hacked bumpers. Say nothing for the fact good condition thin s30 bumpers are probably the most expensive stock z bumpers to get. So whats the point exactly? Pay more and look worse?

It IS an 80s car Idk why its laughable to embrace that.

Style is subjective though all said and done there is no right and wrong. Its laughable though to read someone ripping on one idea when a page ago the top suggestion was cutting/welding tubing on the fly for bumpers. Ya ok...

A shaved 280z bumper doesnt look bad at all and actually fits the body style of the s130.

npocpls1zhoodie.jpg

Are you really trying dictate someone elses use of terms and style? Telling people what they know and what they want? GL with that, sure its going to work out well for ya lol

I also fail to see how early z bumpers or tubing resembles the front end of a z33.

Said my piece, its his car w/e makes him happy.

• Like 1

Fair enough, sketch some stuff up. Also try searching in japanese they have done way more with s130's then we have stateside. I saw some bad ass ones last time I was there.

I don't think bosozoku is the right term for the look you're going for. Heineken cans and bandannas tied from your tow hook aren't exactly boso style. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with what you're doing, but it's been 5 pages and the closest you've gotten to boso is your muffler tip. Which still isn't even close to real boso pipes, because it's not 6 feet long.

• Like 3

I don't think bosozoku is the right term for the look you're going for. Heineken cans and bandannas tied from your tow hook aren't exactly boso style. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with what you're doing, but it's been 5 pages and the closest you've gotten to boso is your muffler tip. Which still isn't even close to real boso pipes, because it's not 6 feet long.

VERY TRUE, i realized that right after i made it ,

its more like a junky,budget build, rat-rod-ish, boso-inspired, not slammed, kinda fast, car

and you gotta give me some time man,

its only been a month, my front end is really going to direct the look i want from hear on out. i can chop it up and put my oil cooler out the front end, i want to do that , i want to do a couple other boso ideas but ya i definately dont want a bright, ridiculously flashy, insanity bodywork, or 6 foot pipes.

if i keep my front end the way it is now itll look natural and be cheapest, and for my budget be the real success route to go.

I like g-nose's theres a possibility, but those are over $300 right?

im starting to not want to fab up my own custom front end in fear i may spend more money time into something that will look worse.

I kinda want to put this garage door weatherstrip mod as a lower lip onto the stock front end and custom hook up some old bmw headlights into hid lights

"i want the ones that have like a metal bill of a hat in the front of the circle, like an eyelid i guess"

this is a cheap way to make the front end look a little more intimidating.

a lazy eye mod can be done (the vw bug headlight lips mentioned)

but a lot of work I think at least lol.

if it were me I wouldnt let the lip stick out anywhere near as far as they do.

oil cooler hanging out the front.

well.. its a good thing when oil pressure is low the fuel pump relay will shut down the pump.

guard it if you can but expect an issue.

for how much tubing you need for the front bumper.... prices should be relatiely cheap to experiment with

I do like that yellow 280zx .... with a wider curved more complete front bumper. the yellow color sets off the car really though !

if youre super worried about screwing up the car looks Id just stop now and enjoy the car :)

or..... get spare crappyfront end stuff to experiment on.

youll be changimg things oh say..... 3-10 times on the front end stuff ...

btw what YOU think is more important than what we do ;)

okay ya im just about to do my suspension, im doing even all the bushings back into the subframe and the poly ones every where else.

if i go s13 coilovers doesnt that mean i need there lower control ams, hubs, rotors, calipers?

id love to go coilover but these parts i bought allready like 5-6 months ago.

whats the barebones s13 coilover swap? what could i use out of the parts i allready bought ? what parts do i buy exactly or what year/type of 240sx do i get it off of.

here's what i got allready

-prothane polyurethane bushing kit "w/ end links, bump spacers, LCA bushings etc."

-suspension techniques springs

-used msa sway bars

- tokico rear shocks

-front tokico struts

-techno toy tuning T/C rods

-ac delco ball joints

-moog outer tie rod ends

-EBAY $50 front camber adjustable link "non rubber type"

-welded rear strut tower bar

-Front and rear wheel bearings/races/ and seals

-2 rebuilt nissan rear calipers "rebuilt with non factory seals?" one from Ebay for cheap and one from the Z-Store

-front and rear brake pads - Wagner Thermal Quiets

-rear subframe bushings

ok screw the coilovers for now, this is a budget build - back on track

getting all these^ items installed this next week. its practically everything worth doing under neath.

I'm experimenting with different ideas on this one if anyone has something to add please do.

considering the best keg can airbox inlet design.

i understand its better to get colder air and air from a low pressure zone opposed to a high pressure zone.

what shape, size , exactly for a stock n/a 280zx engine. is it like

exactly a 5" opening, or a combination of circles drilled out, or lines/patterns of cuts into the keg cans to achieve the best engine sound/performance.

or a desgin for good gas mileage so i can swap keg cans real fast if im going on a long trip.

CAM00399-1.jpg

CAM00395-1.jpg

I felt a a huge difference with how the engine accelerated and decelerated, it was quieter, less back firing, transistion from accel. to decell. was much smoother, i want to do everything i can to make sure my stock intake is running at top performance. so deciding how to cut one of these airbox's is a huge importance. anyone know how i should cut these for the best engine sound/performance?

CAM00398.jpg