ratty 521 to match my 411

erichwaslike

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so i have my 15x12s that im running on this as soon as the bed is flared... well i started on my extra bed by stripping the paint nad found that the drivers rear corner had been hit bad and repaired in mexico apparently. there was so much bondo. luckily i have a rear half of a bed i picked up at one point just cause and i am using it to fix the rear. i had to remove half of the bedside, a small section of the floor and some of the rear most cross brace that the tailgate is attached to, it was all damaged from the hit. heres the pics of the work. everything but the cut down the bedside, across the floor and rear brace was all removed by drilling spot welds and removing it as whole peices so it is going together liek the original stuff was. no mickey mouse shit here.

on to the pics

heres what i started with

IMG_1225_zps33510522.jpg

IMG_1224_zpsf6b81024.jpg

then the first set of cuts to start removing stuff

IMG_1227_zps30c748df.jpg

IMG_1226_zpsb993370d.jpg

test fitting the new peice

IMG_1229_zpsa08f2312.jpg

IMG_1228_zpsdc369dd2.jpg

you can see how bad the rear brace was bent and the floor and bed corner followed those lines

IMG_1230_zps8ce0a9ed.jpg

and now where it sits casue i had dinner with the family last night and didnt get to welding it in

IMG_1231_zps205240da.jpg

IMG_1232_zps1249f612.jpg

all this just so i dont have to cut up my good bed thats on it to run my 15x12s. casue if the flares end up being shitty then ill go back to the bed thats on it now.

its a good deal of work. i did it cause i had everythign already, and otherwise would be looking for another bed to just cut up to flare... dont make sense.... might as well take the shit parts i have, make a half way decent one to modify and let the good bed thats out there go to someoen that really needs a good unflared bed.....

well come to my house and fix my truck or trucks.lol

pay me! after all i am running a business here.... Japan Auto Engineering dont work for free. whats wrong with them..... iknow a few of the issues at hand on the red one but idk on that ugly green one lol

So then you'll quit thread jacking? Or should I start a new one and let you have this one lol.

Here's my update... Nothing. But I will be tearing into the napz 2.4 bottom end I have come Tuesday next week when vacation is over. Hoping to have it in the truck in time for canby. Also the new bed and 15x12s will be on it for canby too.

picking up another set of 15x10s today to match the one i have.. so ill have my 10"s for the front, 3 spares.. and my 12"s for the rear... not to mention the other7-8 8"s that i have too. i gots steelies for days!!!!!!!!!

so i got my 15x10s... 60 bucks for all 4 only been mounted once. but on the way my truck would shimmy when i let the clutch oout in first if i reved it at all, if i let it out slowly at idle it wouldnt. it also would shimmy going down a gear coming to a light. im thinking its a pressure plate or flywheel... i have the trans pulled back but the exhaust wont let it come down. was just gonna work like that. anyone have any thought on something else to look for that could casue the whole drivetrain to shake, i can see it all move cause shes running hoodless....

null_zps44a729de.jpg

null_zps950346ca.jpg

when moving from idle, not at idle. i have yet to pull my clutch pack apart. trans is un bolted and drive shaft out, going to my one piece finally when it goes back together. the u joints all seemed good, i gave it a spin back and forth before removing it cause i wanted to see if it was good to keep or not. i was also going to use my r16 pressure plate on it, its got a different look, but the geometry is all the same on it.

a few things happened over the weekend, got the trans back in it with a newish clutch, got the 15x10s on the rear, and got the new bed pretty much done. heres the pics of it all cause no one really cares about the story....

null_zpsb88ecb03.jpg

null_zps75c2e573.jpg

null_zpsdf2a2faa.jpg

null_zpse244895d.jpg

on to the wheels

null_zps29942117.jpg

null_zps71150fb0.jpg

also had to pull the exhaust when i pulled the trans down, its gotten a lil scrapped up and flattened....

it went back on just like this cause i havent cut the crossmemebers to allow a flat belly..... soon

null_zps6178b6ed.jpg

haha yeah i figured you didint like it.. the lift aint mine, its a neighboring shop, the weldar and all the metal working tools are mine tho..... you can get a welder decently cheap.... now knowing how to use it properly and well are another story... theres plenty of ppl on ratsun that own em... few and far between that do a good job with em lol

so i finished welding and sanding the bed. its got a few small spots that need body work, but i am just cutting it up again so im not worried about it. i also made a patch harness to make intalling a set of 69 510 gauges plug and play. i did forget to take a pic of it when it was dont, but i used a factory plug on the back of the gauges and then cut out the board where the pins are on another set of gauges so it will just plug into the factory 521 harness and has the correct pin out. only thing on the 510 gauges that didnt get used was the brake warning light cause the 521 doenst have that circut, maybe later on i will hook that to a shift light or something just for fun. i just have to weld a few lil tabs on for mounting and they will be in. im hoping to swap the bed today and get started on the flares.

null_zps967b0787.jpg

null_zps8eeb6890.jpg

null_zps94138f4b.jpg