Guest DatsuNoob

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

wheres the updates? this things still that torn apart???

HAHAHA, it's actually MORE torn apart, I havent been posting any pics lately. It's gonna be like T.V magic, "POOF!, it's done! HAHA". Been stacking up parts for a while now. The motor/trans is in, bed almost ready to go back on. I got delayed with paint by the cold weather. So now it's all nuts/bolts kinda stuff, wrapping up body work, and working a little on the interior. I'll get into the front susp as soon as I get Bee's UCA's back.

Guest DatsuNoob

Seeing all the trucks yesterday at the BBQ motivated me to get going. Stripped the new door, finished some welding, hacked up some scrap and dumpster'd it, worked on my fenders, etc. Pics to come.

Guest DatsuNoob

Brought the door I got from Yello620, home in the "work truck" :lol: I've hauled everything from beer kegs, Schwinn 26" bicycles, doors, tailgates, and even a KA24de in this car. Was a pain gettin it out though.

Picture034-1.jpg

All stripped down, and no surprises underneath! Beyond stoked on that, thanks again Yello620!

Picture042-2.jpg

Here's a before on the rocker, I'll do an after once everything's all smoothed out

Picture043-1.jpg

Motor's in, Joe's wrapping up the rest of the wiring soon. Looking forward to a test run.

Picture041-1.jpg

Couple dash pics

Picture036.jpg

Picture037.jpg

Here's how much a pint of POR-15 chassis black will cover (more coming in the mail)

Picture039.jpg

Didnt get anything done today, just rested up. I'm gonna get at it again tomorrow though.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DatsuNoob

Picture029.jpg

Seat brackets were an absolute pain in the ass! I had about an 1 1'2" spacing to work with between the seat and floor, and less in the front mounting area. Trying to slip a tape, sharpie, and eventually a MIG gun under there was a challenge. They were also rocking around pretty good and wouldnt hold still which was fun too. I wanted to find a good compromise between the most amount of leg room, and a comfortable back angle, so each seat was probably put in and out atleast a dozen times to mock, tack, double check, test sit, and final weld each bracket. Even left enough room between the outside of seat and cab wall in case I ever wanted to add a bar overhead. They're a tad snug (not to bad though), but then again most buckets in a std cab are. Enough jibba jabba

1 seat

Picture026-2.jpg

2 seat

Picture036-1.jpg

Picture032-1.jpg

A little blurry (dunno why), but you get the idear

Picture039-1.jpg

Picture040-1.jpg

Got the bed back on yesterday, notched out one of the ribs, jacked up the base of the cradle, and tacked her into position. Stay tuned kiddies, more pics to come later next week.

Guest DatsuNoob

Did the rear brace and mounts today. Scratched my head for a while on how to mount up the front, but I think I've got a good plan. Not working with a drawing means I can change to a better design if I need to. Still have a lot of work to do, not sure I'll make Canby honestly, but I'm trying like hell.

Guest DatsuNoob

Good one Bleach :lol:, I cant remember how long it's been since tearing it all down and pouring out my bank account, I'll have to check the 1st date on the 1st post :D. Thanks Redeye, the cell is a 15 gallon with 0-90 ohm sender, 2" sump, etc. Got a fairly good deal on the bay

Guest DatsuNoob

This should keep all the pic whores at bay for a bit

Picture013-3.jpg

Picture016-2.jpg

some of my best welds wont be seen, but oh well

Picture015-3.jpg

Picture017-3.jpg

Picture019-3.jpg

I was pretty happy with the amount of ground clearance I ended up with. I honestly thought it was gonna sit lower than it is. The fuel pump/filter will sit a hair above the rear diff, which should be fairly safe. Now just gotta get some lines made, mount the pump, hook up the rail, and I'll have a fuel system.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest DatsuNoob

So I wasnt pleased with how my KA mounts turned out after I pie cut and remade them to fit the truck. The exhaust dumped out on the frame rail, the shifter wasnt right, and to be honest I just think reworked mounts look like shit.

JustinCarPics001.jpg

JustinCarPics002.jpg

So with the help of a 1000 lb ratchet strap tie down hooked to the pass side shock mount (not pictured), I wrapped the other end around the header, and cinched it down so it wouldnt fall when I disconnected the driver's side. Then I used a bottle jack, steel plate against the block, and a 2x4 against the UCA, and started to push it over to the pass side while adjusting the strap to hold it until I got the angle just right. Very ratsun :cool: :lol:

JustinCarPics005.jpg

pie cuts in the pass mount allowed everything to shift into place

JustinCarPics004.jpg

With that done, I began laying out my flatstock and installed them

JustinCarPics007.jpg

tacked everything in

JustinCarPics008.jpg

welded it up, cleaned the slag, and knocked off some hard edges a little. Only thing I dont like about flux core wire is the cleanup, seems to spatter alot more in addition to slag, even when the settings are perfect. I would later make it look a little more like the passenger side mount.

JustinCarPics010.jpg

I reinstalled it and moved over to the pass side. This one took a little more figuring since the holes are staggered to get around the oil filer housing instead of straight in line like the driver's. I layed everything out in scrap sheet metal 1st. I imagine some thin cardboard would work just as well, it's just what was around.

JustinCarPics012.jpg

I also like this method because it takes all the guess work out of figuring angles too, just trace, trim, and fit until it's correct. That way you dont waste any of the good stuff

JustinCarPics013.jpg

JustinCarPics014.jpg

tacked in

JustinCarPics015.jpg

boxed the back so the thing wouldnt twist, and added some gussets on the outsides for some more points of contact and to help with side to side flex. some black paint and it was ready to go back in. Probably overkill, but that's how I build shit.

JustinCarPics016.jpg

JustinCarPics017.jpg

I was alot happier with the end result on both sides, big improvement over the reworked mounts IMO, and was alot of fun to make.