DatsuNoob's epic 620 build thread

Guest DatsuNoob

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not so sure thats a coolant line. If it is the iacv it should me metered air going in (from the intake tubing after the maf) and then into the manifold.

The valve in that housing opens and closes allowing air to enter the manifold, bypassing the throttle body, and stabilizes the idle. Say you were going up a hill in first gear and you never touched the gas that little valve will keep the idle and a specific rpm and wont let your engine bog down. When they work its a great thing.

I say keep it. Its hidden anyway. :D

Guest DatsuNoob
Are you going to reinforce the shock mount like Fineline did or just wait to see if it breaks?

Reinforcement for sure. I aleady have to change the shock mount anyway from the stock threaded style, to a clevis style mount, so might as well. I dont want to test the cornering of my new coilovers and end up in a wall or a ditch. Besides, welding's fun! :D So, I dont know exactly what the hell that thing in the pic is, Air idle or water temp sender.... :eek: I want to take it off, but I'm not exactly sure what it is. It looks like if I do take it off, there's another blockoff plate I gotta do. :mad:

hey man if you havent welded that rocker panel on yet you mind taking some detailed pics of it for me? did you throw your old one away already? ill be in the area in a couple weeks and would like to come look at it if your around. My truck and everyone elses truck needs them so i figured i have lots of free time and a sheet metal shop, might as well make a couple...

• 5 weeks later...
Guest DatsuNoob

Sorry dimer, didnt see your post until just now. Bit late? :D If you're ever in my area I'd be glad to have you over for a beer, a bit of tire kicking, and talkin tin. Yeah, for sure, if you could reproduce the 620 rocker, there would be alot of happy folks out there. You can still get 'em, but not as common as they used to be I'm sure. I'd be happy to sketch up something for you with measurements or something too.

Edited by DatsuNoob
  • 2 months later...
Guest DatsuNoob

Got that 83 ZX 5 speed at POTD, thanks Slodat for bringing that up, and also went out to Pull-a-Part and got the Z24 bellhousing. Special thanks to Zuum510 for his willingness to get greasy and get into it, and helping out under such foul weather conditions. We both went though quite a bit of Chinese water torture rolling around under that muddy 720 :lol: Pretty much a royal pain in the ass dropping an old greasy 720 5spd for such a seemingly simple piece. Waiting on little things now, then will put some pics up when it all goes together. I'm stoked :D

• 1 month later...
Guest DatsuNoob

Ok, so it's been a while since my last update. Life kinda got in the way of my projects for a while there, but I've been adding to my parts pile and here's a few pics of what I've been doing.

Clutch/flywheel bolted on, and here's the trans I got from Slodat st POTD. bell swap, countershaft bearing upgrade, new seals, shims, etc. Thx to Zuum510 for taking over on the torque wrench, my broken arm sure was feeling that 110 ft lbs:D

Justin001.jpg

Me and Joe puttin in work, he doesnt like to get his hands dirty though :lol:

Justin002.jpg

Lookin good like she should

Justin005.jpg

Cant wait to drop it in!

Justin004.jpg

Guest DatsuNoob

I hope so.... I got my fingers crossed. Motavated sent me one and I slapped it on there. The only thing is it seemed super stumpy compared to the 280zx one. We'll see how it works out though, I'm thinking I'll check it once it's in, put it in gear, give it some clutch, and hope she rolls :lol: Also, I couldn't believe the lean! When the motor sits level, the trans leans hard to the pass side. I guess I'm just used to looking at L motors. Cant wait to make those mounts though and get it in! More pics to come

Guest DatsuNoob

The guy sold them out from under me, before the time we agreed for me to pick em up. Then he gave me a long winded douchebag tale about how they got ripped off outta his backyard. It's been my experience that the longest story is the biggest lie. I hate it when people do that, I understand people gotta make money, but he could've atleast been like "hey some dude's coming over to get the wheels, you better beat him to the punch and get out here quick" or something. Lately I've been getting jerked around by craigslisters, once for the 350z seats, and now for those sweet wheels. I wish I knew where to find those wheels, I have a hard time finding 6 lugs that dont look like all out truck rims :(

Guest DatsuNoob

Yeah, I mean like offroad lookin wheels. All the 6 lugs I find look like they should be on a rock crawler or an SUV. I want something kinda sporty looking with a lip. Those ones I linked were perfect, almost looked like the Ray's nismo titans with a fat lip. Oh well, there'll be more wheels later down the road.

sorry to hear that. But on a good note, I got some sweet wheels for my Frontier! :D j/k

I had some wheels for sale before and they actually did get stolen right after I had made arrangements for someone to pick them up. hmmm... I'm not sure if my story was long or not.

Factory truck wheels generally look pretty clean but they never have a lip.

• 2 months later...
Guest DatsuNoob

Well, it's been a while since I've posted anything on my build, but got a few things done since last time. Mostly just a bit of plugging holes, welding, grinding, fine tuning. Nothing real exciting but I did do some POR-15 on the cab to get it sealed in. Here's a couple pics courtesy of Zuum510.

P5250011.jpg

P5250012.jpg

Went on a little orange peely after back rolling it, but not too shabby. Stuff is self leveling and turned out okay actually. I wouldnt knock a guy for doing a roller job if it works out this well. I also made a dauber out of a headliner rod and a bit of gauze wrapped up with solid core MIG wire to get up inside the hollow portions of the cab. It worked out pretty well, but a tip for those of you thinking of it, would be to get as high up inside 1st before painting the

"sub-rocker" portion of the cab. I got the shit in my hair's why :lol:.Did some rocker tweaking and fitting today, I'll try and get some more pics up soon

• 1 month later...
Guest DatsuNoob

Zuum510 and I built a rack out of an old canopy carport frame a couple weeks ago to work on the bed while off the frame. Works really well too.

fall111.jpg

fall109.jpg

Stitched up the rear side markers and fuel door

fall110.jpg

fall114.jpg

fall116.jpg

I fixed my corners too where they got ripped from a little excessive slide hammer action :o using the curve of a bullet line from a scrap door. Damn near perfect bend! Bed will get solvent cleaned after it's fully stripped, washed with POR-15 metal prep, then it will be getting sealed and skimmed out. Been working on getting my BMW seats in too, more pics to come.