DatsuNoob's epic 620 build thread

Guest DatsuNoob

yeah the drivers side is BAD. rotten through at one body mount and right under the pedals. and i ahve been driving it to seattle and back the last few days :D drove all over hells half acre yesterday and no problems except my air cleaner came off the carb....

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Late to this party....

Looking good, especially getting rid of those ugly-ass NHTSA-mandated side markers. Like they're gonna stop the idiots from running into each other...and US! :mad:

Nice welds. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they ain't your first. :D What welder you have?

Guest DatsuNoob

Thanks peters. I agree, sidemarkers are almost useless. Headlights and taillights are good enough at night. I've pretty much been hooked on welding since I was in jr high. I bought a Lincoln Pro-mig 140 last tax return, and have been very pleased with it's performance. It'll do 5/16" and under, which is perfect for what I want it to do. I haven't had any time to get in my garage this weekend, doing family stuff and all that. But I will get in there very soon (next couple days probably) to do a little more rust removal, prep, and sealing behind the rocker, and put that baby to bed. Next, I'll have a peek behind the driver's side. Hope it's not too bad :eek:

oh dont worry i will definatley hit ya up when i am ready. jsut need to figure out what i can use for floor boards. as for me, i am thinking about keeping my side markers but doing something a little different. 68 Chrysler markers. the round ones. plus adding in a set of euro side repeaters. i have some small square ones for an Audi A4 i would love to put in. as i stated in another thread i am so euro its sickening :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DatsuNoob

okay here are some pics of that rocker.

100_0824-1.jpg

First I used aircraft stripper to expose all spot welds which I drilled out, Then I pried the seams with a chisel.

100_0825-1.jpg

Holy Shit! Look at all that rust! :eek:

100_0827-1.jpg

Someone tried some crusty azz repair using steel wool and what appears to be poorly mixed body filler

100_0911.jpg

Here's the new one

100_0910.jpg

I rust sealed with some rust converter, scuffed that, then rustoleum primer, then new undercoating.

100_0912.jpg

Got it all ready for welds, but I'm going to wait to attach it until I locate my fenders.

• 2 months later...
Guest DatsuNoob

Ok, so I pulled the L20b today. It wasn't too fun, but wasn't too involved.

100_1408.jpg

Came out good, once I got the steering link and oil pan problem worked out. Wouldn't hurt to have an extra set of eyes to make sure PCV tube doesn't hang up on any linkages, but I didn't.

100_1409.jpg

Now that's progress.

100_1410.jpg

Here's what's going in.

100_1404.jpg

...to be continued

Guest DatsuNoob

I got the rocker from a seller on ebay that had a body shop with parts needing to be cleared out. This was one of the pieces he had, so I jumped on it. Nobody seems to make 'em anymore. I called JC Whitney and they said they are no longer available :( Sucks caused I wanted to replace my drivers side too. I actually bought the motor from Gundie's auto recycling. I swore I was gonna take it back (still might) cause they were dicks and the crank pulley is badly chipped, but they delivered to my house (they said they normally dont do home deliveries, only shops) and knocked off $50. I suppose most auto wreckers and JY dudes are dicks though :D

• 1 month later...
Guest DatsuNoob

Got some more things done early this morning. Couldn't sleep after getting home from work, so it was actually quite a productive morning. I hooked up a hose to my water heater in the garage and ran the motor outside on the stand, degreased the whole thing and blasted it with HOT azz water. I removed the SCV (flapper assy) on my 240 intake mani and related vac shtuff, separated it to replace the plenum gasket, did an EGR block off, installed my throttle body spacer, removed by broken crank pulley, and even managed to lay down a coat of engine enamel while swilling a 24oz beer for breakfast! Things are lookng pretty fair I gotta say. Ready to hit the racks right about now, I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

Guest DatsuNoob

Well, here are some long overdue pics. I called up Icehouse a while back and he had asked me to post a pic of my "goodies" I got for the swap that'll get done some day (:rolleyes:), anyway here's just a few of what I got for now.

100_1696.jpg

And the motor after a shot of degreaser, hot water, and paint. I cant decide whether to polish the valve cover, or just paint it red and pop the letters out with a sanding disc. I just went over it to remove the casting wrinkles, bumps/imperfections/etc. (Polishing is a lot of friggin work :eek:) Any ideas or suggestions?

100_1697.jpg

You win a beer if you can tell me WTF this thing is :confused::blink:? Has what appears to be a coolant line attached to it, and a couple wiring harness boots on it. Cant find it in any book, I was thinking maybe water temp sensor/guage sender? Wanting to know if it's needed or can be taken out.

100_1700.jpg

Coolant line tells the sensor what temperature your engine (or water) is and when to turn off. It is only used to bump idle up a little when the engine is cold. Good for cold starts. You can remove it. On really cold winter mornings, your engine should start up fine if it is in good tune. It may idle low... 500-600 rpm and then come up to 800 (or wherever you set it) when warm.

:D

Guest DatsuNoob

Cool, thanks Bleach. I think I'll remove it. Dont really need it for cold starts if it's gonna be garaged, and I'm a big fan of simple. My garage rarely drops below 50* with the door shut. Redeye, yeah, I got the QA1 Ultra-Ride coilovers, 300lb springs to start with, full range dampening adjustment (12 settings I wanna say?) 'Sposed to be the shit, not trying to brag, but that's why I bought 'em :D. The think they're the exact same ones as Fineline has. I'm looking into getting a set for the rear after I get the front worked out and find a pathfinder axle to 4 link. Gotta get the paint and engine phase done first though. All boils down to greenbacks and time... I think there's a big hole full of money in the garage where my truck used to be :lol::lol:

Guest DatsuNoob

A good set of coilovers are worth the extra money in my opinion. I had some shitty generic ones on a jetta once and they rode like hell. Anyway you go, you gotta get in there and make somthing for these trucks to get 'em to work (kinda sux). I've always liked the stance of your truck too btw, the mild rake makes it pretty stealthy lookin'. I think it would be nice to preserve that look but w/o torsion bars, I know I cant wait to toss mine.