Dual Mikuni Center Pull Setup

oldskoolvws

Someone say roadster linkage?

http://www.fairladyp...com/page28.html

Is this your website 69srl311? If so, please excuse me when I say that it's not the easiest site to navigate... and there aren't any instructions or indications as to how you purchase what you're looking at?

Since we're mostly not roadster guys, how would an L-series person know if they need the "early" or "late" style linkage?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thread revival:

Is the consensus that sourcing centerpull linkage is just a big goose egg?  It sounds like there isn't anything for a bolt on application.  I emailed Troy Ermish's website asking about another run of linkage kits a couple of days ago, but I haven't heard anything back yet.  It seems like the Toyota kits are a best bet, but even those must be modified, and good luck finding them?  A set on eBay recently went for $200.

My linkage is all screwy, and I'm tired of the sync being just close.  I'd like it to be dependably right on, and the centerpull setup seems to be the only way to do this.

Thread revival:

Is the consensus that sourcing centerpull linkage is just a big goose egg?  It sounds like there isn't anything for a bolt on application.  I emailed Troy Ermish's website asking about another run of linkage kits a couple of days ago, but I haven't heard anything back yet.  It seems like the Toyota kits are a best bet, but even those must be modified, and good luck finding them?  A set on eBay recently went for $200.

My linkage is all screwy, and I'm tired of the sync being just close.  I'd like it to be dependably right on, and the centerpull setup seems to be the only way to do this.

Troy's busy getting ready for the vintage 2.5 Trans Am race at Laguna Seca, so try again after the weekend. I have seen his centerpull setup and it's nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I pulled the trigger today on some Roadster linkage.

obj137geo144pg28p2_zps2888968f.jpg

I called up Gerardo Magana from fairladyparts.com, and he still has these in stock.  Technically, they are made for the roadsters, but he said they should work for L motors too.  If I have to do some light modification, that's fine.  I've decided that trying to sync my carbs with the present linkage is never going to end up how I want it.  There just are too many weaknesses in the system.

DSCN1480.jpg

When I do the install, I'll take pictures to let everyone know how things went.

Well it is pricey, but in the big picture, it's going to be worth the investment. I am comparing it to the Toyota 2TG linkage that's not even available anymore so that's a moot point. And besides, the linkage you got is soooo much nicer. It's more like the old Nissan Comp setup.

Yeah, taking all things into account, there is close to absolutely nothing available for Mikuni centerpull setups.  Before I found/decided on the above setup from fairladyparts.com, I was trying to figure out if I was going to keep an eye out for the Toyota linkage or modify the Weber setup.  The conclusion was that both of those would still be at least somewhat costly, and neither would be a bolt on solution.  The Toyota linkage is made from unobtainium ($200 give or take now? ...that is if you can find it), and the Weber setup looks like it would need major modifications to work.

I believe Gerardo at fairladyparts fabbed this linkage based off of the old Nissan comp setup, so I'm stoked about it being the right stuff.  On top of just mimicking Nissan, he made all of the parts out of stainless steel, so you don't have to worry about the pieces corroding (as bad).  I found the following picture on 311s.org, and it looks like Gerardo's kit installed. 

mikuni-center-pull_zps237f4168.jpg

As you said above, I think I'm going to keep the spring on the rear (right in picture) carb in addition to the setup above so that both sides are spring loaded.  I'm excited about actually syncing my carbs up.  It's going to be worth it.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I don't think I need to go into a raging fit on par with Bob3 or RedBanner, but it sounds like the situation is similar.  I called and spoke with Gerardo Magana of fairladyparts.com on April 9th about the availability of centerpull linkage kits mentioned above.  He was nice and cooperative on the phone.  The roadster guys (311s.org) seem to have had good dealings with him?  I sent him money via Paypal on the same day, and he told me that it would take a few days to get parts together.  The following is the email conversation we have had since:

• On 4/18/13:

Gerardo,

I know you said it would be a few days to get parts together for this order, but is there any chance this has shipped yet?

Thanks,

Mark

• On 4/25/13:
Gerardo,

Could you please give me a status of my order?  I don't care if I have to wait a little longer.  I would just like to know when to expect the Mikuni centerpull kit.

Thanks,

Mark

• On 4/26/13:

Hi Mark. I will have it out next week o. Tuesday sorry for the delay
Thanks

• Same day:

Thanks for the reply Gerardo.  No problem on the wait - I'm just trying to time out my projects.

• On 5/13/13:
Gerardo,

I'm still waiting on the carburetor linkage that I paid $165 for on April 9, 2013.  You told me over the phone that "it's going to take a few days to get parts together," and that was fine with me.  A few days has turned into more than a month, which is also somewhat understandable.  I'm sure the linkage is worth it, but I'm beginning to wonder if I'm ever going to see anything?

According to Paypal, I have 45 days in which to dispute transaction.  Past that, I have no hope for recovering my $165.  The last day for me to submit a dispute on this transaction is May 24, 2013.  Unless I receive a shipping notice from you on or before Wednesday, May 15, 2013, guaranteeing delivery on or before Tuesday, May 21, 2013, I will be forced to submit a dispute with Paypal in an effort to recover my payment.

Sincerely,

Mark

Did this guy think that I was donating to the Gerardo Magana fund?  This kind of behavior is ridiculous.  Looks like I'm going to be making friends with Paypal's dispute resolution services...

Bummer.

It's funny how many people that make real quality parts suck at communicating and delivering on time. It sucks that you need to ask for a refund to make your point. And furthermore, your point is probably totally lost on someone like that.

If you really want the part, then hold out.

Yeah, I REALLY want the linkage, but I don't see what good it's going to do me to be out $165 without any means of recovery.  If I wait past the 45 day mark, then I will have paid whether or not I ever receive anything...  I guess I'm on the hunt for something else.

Moral of the story: If you want centerpull linkage, don't give any money to Gerardo Magana or fairladyparts.com.

• 5 years later...

While searching for center linkage for Mikuni carbs, this thread kept popping up. I found another source for Mikuni center linkage from a guy who seems to also specialize in roadster stuff. The guy offers a number of variations, depending on carb type. I sent him pictures of mine for confirmation. He was very responsive, even answering questions throughout the weekend, and even in the evening. He shipped my order promptly, and it arrived as expected. It's a little pricey, but if you're looking at this thread, you know the options are limited for quality center linkage. He knows his website needs some work. 

https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/product-page/solex-center-linkage

Edited by 2wheel-lee