How to put a Weber 32/36 on that shaggin waggon

Smyrna720

First, order the carb. Then open the box. This is what you'll find.

IMAG1200.jpg

IMAG1201.jpg

IMAG1202.jpg

Here is what you get.

IMAG1204.jpg

IMAG1205.jpg

The first step is installing the SHORT studs into the adapter. I used a little locktite and screwed them in by hand flush with the bottom of the plate. Make sure the plate is correct side up, so you can install the allen head capscrews in later. Divots on top.

IMAG1208.jpg

I don't even know why I put that stupid gasket on there. I didn't even use it.

IMAG1209.jpg

Then, look at your engine longingly. Imagine what your Weber will look like here.

IMAG1210.jpg

I've removed all my emissions equipment already, so you'll probably have more stuff to disconnect than I do, but I digress. Remove negative battery cable, jack the vehicle up and remove the tires. Just kidding. Do remove the battery cable though.

Pull off the distributor vacuum advance.

IMAG1211.jpg

Next, pull off the cannon plug for the carb electronic controls if you have it, and the EFE heater plug

IMAG1212.jpg

Then, the ground wire to the intake manifold. It's 12mm, but you'll have better luck with a #3 phillips head screwdriver.

IMAG1213.jpg

Use a 10mm wrench or socket and pull off the accelerator cable mounting bracket.

IMAG1214.jpg

Pull the throttle to WOT and slide the end of the cable towards the firewall to turn it free.

IMAG1215.jpg

Drink beer, and smoke cigarettes.

Now that's done, remove the fuel line clamp. 1/4 on my removable bit screwdriver works well here.

IMAG1216.jpg

Now we can remove the mounting nuts... huh huh, nuts. That's what she said.

12mm. Use a short wrench.

One

IMAG1217.jpg

Two

IMAG1218.jpg

Three

IMAG1219.jpg

Fo.

IMAG1220.jpg

Carefully pull up on the carb, and remove the nuts that you couldn't get completely off. Gently pry on the fuel line and lift slowly. DON'T drop any nuts or washers. Turn 'er loose...

IMAG1221.jpg

WAIT! OMG WTF ARE YOU DOING? DON'T THROW THAT AWAY! ARE YOU RETARDED?

Calm yo tits fool. You might need that someday. Put it on the shelf. Dummy.

Anyways, now that that hunk of shit is off you motor, breathe a sigh of relief. you're not even halfway done.

• Like 2
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pull the EFE plate and that other plate thing off. Save it too. You never know, somebody out in California might want it.

IMAG1222.jpg

The fuel line as it sits will hit the adapter. Pry it away, but don't go too far. We'll do more with this later.

IMAG1223.jpg

Check fitment.

IMAG1224.jpg

IMAG1225.jpg

Good enough.

Next, pull the old studs out. You can do it like this:

IMAG1226.jpg

But that's not the best way. You should double nut it. Huh huh, double nut.

IMAG1227.jpg

This is why. New studs are longer.

IMAG1228.jpg

New studs in, gasket on.

IMAG1229.jpg

Adapter on

IMAG1230.jpg

Allen heads in. 5 or 6mm, I can't remember.

IMAG1231.jpg

'Nother gasket.

IMAG1232.jpg

Wait, wait, what are you doing? Put the nuts down... we're not bolting it on yet. We have fuel line issues.

GO EASY with this. Don't kink or break the line.

Pull the carb off and using a tapered punch, pull the fuel line away from the baseplate of the carb and toward the fuel inlet.

Check fit.

IMAG1233.jpg

Mess with it a little bit. Get it somewhat right. It took me 3 tries using various tools. A wrench, a punch and a dead blow hammer did it for me.

IMAG1234.jpg

Yeah, I guess that'll work.

Next, put your clamps on. BOTH of them. Tighten the bottom one and leave the top one loose.

IMAG1235.jpg

Then I guess you can tighten the top one.

IMAG1236.jpg

Still got your nuts? Good. Put the on. Things to note. #1, there are two different sizes nuts AND wave lock washers. Small silver ones on the passenger side, 7/16ths if I recall and the bigger ones on the driver side are 12mm. Why? I don't know. #2, don't forget to put that throttle return spring bracket on. Driver side rear bolt.

IMAG1237.jpg

Tighten everything down.

IMAG1238.jpg

Throw the NEW throttle cable mount on there. Check fit.

IMAG1239.jpg

Fit obviously fucking sucks.

Slide the cable in and see how bad it is.

IMAG1240.jpg

IMAG1241.jpg

Wow, shitty. We can do better than that.

Use a round file to fix the slot that won't allow the cable to slide in all the way

Then, Instead of right angles, make it look like a Z. A bench vise is helpful here

IMAG1242.jpg

Much gooder

Tighten the jam nuts. 14mm.

IMAG1243.jpg

Hook the vacuum advance back up.

IMAG1244.jpg

Not done yet. Still gotta hook up the electric choke. I wanted to maintain at least SOME professionalism, so I pulled a wire out of the cannon plug from the CARB end, and worked some magic. It's longer now, blue and has a female spade terminal on one end.

IMAG1247.jpg

Put it in the BLUE wire terminal on the 6 plug connector. That's the factory electric choke wire. Also, while you're at it, hook that ground back up. #3 phillips, remember?

IMAG1248.jpg

Might look something like this

IMAG1249.jpg

Zip tie that shizzle out of the way,

IMAG1250.jpg

Cross your fingers and pray you didn't drop something in the intake or leave a step out.

In theory, it should run.

Good luck.

Nice how to. Got my glass of Kool Aid and I'm fixin to drink it.....just lately it seems every time I turn around someone is talkin bout the Weber....time to find one for the 1200.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for reviving an older topic... but great write-up and pictorial! I wish I'd found it before installing mine, would've made it easier to follow someone else's stumbling blocks than to figure my way around them myself (bending the fuel line, bending/filing the throttle cable bracket, orientation of the throttle linkage).

I see your intake manifold is slightly different than the one on my '84 (larger carb base opening than mine). At the end of the adapter plate closest the engine, I see the manifold protrudes just a hair into the opening of the adapter... on mine, that protrusion was greater (i.e., a little "shelf" there... might be why mine is a bit noisy when opening the secondaries). I'm tempted (when time allows) to pull the manifold and hog it out with a die grinder. Your carb looks different too, I guess that's the electronically controlled one? Mine had a smaller electrical connector with only 2 wires. (anti-dieseling and choke). Perhaps the manifold difference has something to do with that too. 

• 1 month later...