Looking for my old 620.....

2HIPN2LO

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok here it is:

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii126/1BdBagr/620-engine.jpg[/img]"]http://620-engine.jpg

still a lil 1600 w/ Z car flattops, balanced complete bottom end, block relieved and painted inside, huge head work and big Web Cam. Dual Weber 40 DCOES on a Cannon manifold. Thunderbird short tube header. Chromed louvered oil pan and cam inspection plate (seriously). 280 Z 5 speed trans and Datsun Competition clutch and pressure plate.

Tim

Nice truck, Tim :) Thanks for the pics.......that tire shop is still there just west of Mountain blvd on Holt. (dig the blue truck btw)

I used to hang around that area quite a bit bitd, They had been an old Montesa (MX bike) dealer or something and had lots of parts still shelved up until the early 90's?

Anyway, we used hit Vince's and cruise Holt.......:D

--Ray

@ Ray, that WAS where they sold Montesa's...Don's Tire & Cycle! They sold it years ago.That was why i had at least 8 different wheels and tire combos, my best friends dad was Don...lol. Still hit Vinces regularily. My sign shop i own is literally a stones throw from that tire shop, straight south corner of Brooks and Mountain.

Tim

My shop:

www.artsnletters.com

haha.....yup makes sense. I had forgot "Don's", nice guys........haven't been in there since though, seems now it's an audio and tire or?

Vince's or A&W, it was always one or the other up that way...lol. :thumbup:

Hey Tim.....check this out. You did a tailgate for my pop's 4-5yrs ago, small world huh?? Haha, I also think you may know my Father in law too, Gilbert Rose??

Here's the tailgate, nice work dude :thumbup:

--Ray

Yellersgate.jpg

• Like 1

yep i remember that one, used to do a lot of those in the 80's. That is a nice lil truck. I Know Gilbert pretty well, i've lettered the last 3 of his trucks, over the last 15 years, i flamed his Peterbilt "Pinky". Gilbert is a great customer and a cool guy. Thanks for posting.

Tim

hey Tim, Hi..Hope yu find something on your old truck....again I must tell yu that i get so many compliments

on that tailgate...everyone has something to say about it.....got another one Im workin on and will be comin

back to yu nex year again................................. B)

Cool, i'll look forward to that. Reminds be of back in the day i bought 75 Taiwanese Datsun FLAT tailgates and i sold them as custom flat 'gates or i punched louvers in them. I have one i lettered a long time ago still around. Made me chuckle and think i may airbrush some old school mural on it...and hang it in my shop!

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

One of my fabricator buddies and i were shooting the shit about 620's and i mentioned sometimes i wish i could weld, cause i'd build a crazy 620 if i could. I don't know how i ever drove my old 620 in that small cab, but here's my idea: Take a king cab and convert it to a "regular cab"....lose the corner window and literally make it a large single cab. Modify a couple sets of doors and make them longer by a few inches and add a couple of inches (1.5"-2") to the actual cab, the whole key trying to make the changes more subtle than anything. It'd take a shitload of metal work and thats where i'm screwed. I can paint and design stuff as well as airbrush or even punch louvers but i cant weld. That fact would make this idea unfeasible from a cash standpoint. And my chick would disown me if i started another project between my 70 Chevy (67 nosed) halfton shortbed, my daughters 63 Nova SS, or my Harley Road King.....so i'm pretty sure this will remain a dream.

Back to topic at hand: anybody seen my old 620????

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread!! A few years ago, I picked up an old worn out ex-SCCA 510 race car in Annapolis MD. With an ex race car, you always want to know it's history for value sake. I was told that the car was campaigned out of the DC/VA area, at Summit Point Raceway in WV, and raced up & down the east coast. I placed an "Info Wanted" ad on craigslist in MD, detailing all that I knew, asking for any help identifying, or better yet finding the original builder. Well, that idea worked! Within a week, I had two guys email me, with all the info and pics from back in the day, including the builders current contact info! Maybe that would work for you......you might even consider placing an ad in AZ, to cover that rumor that your truck went there (previous post here in the thread). Just cover your butt by NOT printing your email or phone #, to keep the POS scammers away. Good luck with your search!!

• 2 weeks later...

@ Yenpit, read your cool story of hooking up a new friend at the junkyard thread that morphed into the rides at the track thread and it reminded me of a story from back in the day. Long ago i was the Pres. of a Inland Empire truck club, called Infinity Truckers. I had JUST wrecked my first 620 in a pretty horrific freeway accident coming home from Whittier Blvd crusing. Totaled the truck, i hit a diesel truck wheel tire combo, flew off the freeway right before an overpass. We launched off and LUCKILY hit three trees about 15 feet up the trunk that were maybe 20" diameter. Knocked them all out of the ground when we hit them with the front fender and roof, disippating a lot of energy and likely saving our lives. Anyway, someone in our club knew someone at Nissan/Datsun Motors and they used to sponsor a race at the Ontario Motor Speedway called the Datsun Twin 200. We organized a mini truck run where all minitrucks got into the infield to watch the races, BUT at midway point, they let ONLY the Datsuns out to make a few parade laps showing off the customized Datsun trucks to the crowd. Well, my truck was toast, i was on crutches and kinda beat up from the wreck and didn't have a vehicle to drive. Sooooooo, one of our fellow members had a built 620 that was slammed and i rode in the back of that truck....we were supposed to keep it at 55 mph LOL. Buttttt, i remember turning around and looking at the speedo thru the back window and we were going 95 MPH down the back straightaway. They only let us do two laps cause it almost turned into a race instead of a parade lap. Someone heard them telling how i wrecked my truck and was lucky to be alive over the track PA system as we hauled ass by the start finish line with me holding onto my crutches as we flew by. Like wow, i am so lucky to be alive after all the dumb ass stuff i did Driving my 620(s)....lol. I will post up pics of the wrecked truck soon after i scan them.

Tim

I bet alot of us did stuff like that.......I know I did!! There was a thread on Ratsun within the last year or two, with stories about the stupid shit we did when we were younger, with cars involved. Maybe search the word "stupid", or maybe somebody else might remember the thread!

Ya know, these "track days" go on at most regional road course tracks throughout the country, during the season, but not during a race weekend. You should check your regional track schedules, and go ahead and crash the Corvette or Porsche club events!! I attended them often over the years in Michigan (just moved to Colorado a month ago!), and always had a blast!