Looking for my old 620.....

2HIPN2LO

No, I don't have a pristine 510 that Grandpa left me or a 510 with dual sidedrafts...lol. But i DID have a unique Datsun 620 from the early 90's that i'm wondering if it's ever surfaced. I think it had likely the most louvers ever punched in a Datsun 620. Had 192 in the hood alone. Welded / shaved door handles, tailgate, roll pan, filled/welded bed hooks, shaved markers, turn signals, shaved rain gutters and PORSCHE 5 spoke Fuchs alloys ala Cal Look bugs. Scanning some pics and will post in a bit.

Tim

ex-cheese grater of all parts automotive.....

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a frame off re-do on it, shaved the spare mount, ground all the welds on the frame, molded them, painted it black Centari acrylic enamel with pinstriping. Had a z-car 5 speed with the beefed clutch and pressure plate, chromed leaf springs, gas tank and rear end. Had a LOUVERED chromed oil pan, a louvered cam inspection plate, dual Weber DCOE 40's w/Cannon manifold ported and polished to match the head work, Flattop pistons, balanced bottom end, inside of block relieved and painted, big Web Cam and a Coonan valve cover. Had 741 louvers on the whole truck. all the louvers were measured from the same centerline, meaning if you looked straight down from above, all louvers lined up from hood to tailgate.

Unfortunately, i lost interest and thought WTF, it's still a DATSUN......put Porsche cookie cutter alloys on it, kept the Fuchs alloys, the Corbeau seats, the Alpine stereo system......sigh......sold it and bought a 1965 Porsche 911 and put the wheels, seats and stereo in that.

Just wondering if anyone ever finished it. I heard from someone that they swore they saw it at a show at Lake Havasu AZ.

Tim

• Like 1

if i knew then what i know now lol......that truck paved my way into Porsches but a turbo'ed 300ZX six banger in a 620 would be big fun. As it was i had one of the fastest non-V8 Datsuns in our area. I almost put a louvered Polycarbonite (lexan) rear window in it and i wanted an aluminum smooth tonneau cover with inside out louvers on that. I used to run/own Rainbow Louver Co in Montclair CA.....BEFORE "RAINBOW" TOOK ON IT'S PRESENT negative CONNOTATION....lol. Rainbow because i airbrushed, custom painted and did signs. Now i wonder how i used to drive a single cab Datsun 620 and fit in it. Nowadays i think i'd need a King Cab.

Tim

Yes very cool story, and definitely "Old School" looking truck!

Hey Mark, "Too Hip" was not a club...It was a popular saying that they used on 95.5 KLOS FM in Los Angeles and they made tons of different stickers back then. That's probably why you saw them at all the shows because they were so popular...now they are collectors items! Just try to find a "Too Hip" sticker and you'll probably pay big bucks for it.

I had the too hip decal and i custom made one that said "TOO LOW" to go with the plates.....If you look in the hood picture you can barely see the Too Lo sticker at the top.

One of my many back windows i painted. Variegated Gold leaf.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii126/1BdBagr/infinity80.jpg[/img]"]http://infinity80.jpg

Infinity Truckers.....we used to win "Most Partying Club" quite regularily at mini truck runs back then.

Tim

What made me leave the mini truck scene.....(THE CAR , THE CARRRR lol)......my 65 911. I hate to say it but that car was one of the most fun vehicles i ever owned.....

the wheels came straight off my Datsun!lil-debbieporsche.jpg

Tim

Think thats it for the pics until i dig up some more

I will relate a couple of more features that were unique to this truck....i think i was the first to mount the mirrors off the corner of the window (off the door area where the stockers went), first or second to do Porsche Alloys, the grille.....i took a Stull round tube grille (same one as my 79 white truck above) and trimmed the core support to set the headlight assembly back about an inch and a half, THEN, i machined 1/2" clear plexiglass solid round stock down slightly to fit snugly inside the middle bars of the grille, extending them to the same length as the top and bottom tubes, creating an early phantom grille, then i dunked them in liquid window tint to make them look almost black, but transparent when lights were on. It was a unique mod and one of a kind. NOBODY had a grill like mine. Between the lightly TINTED (liquid flo-coated) WINDSHIELD, the dark remaining windows, it made for a really sneaky looking 620. Dick Dean and his son, Kid Dean did the bed welding and body work after i fabbed the metalwork with the louvers. That truck was smoooooth.......

Tim

I really like your pictures, I hope you find some more to post up. I am a sucker for the old school stuff. In fact I am redoing a Dick/Keith Dean built old school Datsun that I rescued a few years back. Good luck on getting some info or finding yoiur old truck. There are alot of people on this site that have been in the game along time. After I found and got my truck , I posted pictures and Steroid found featured in 2 magazines from early 1980s...It was great.

There was a 620 for sale in Nor Cal last summer and it reminded me of yours, not quite the same, but simular mods...but no louvers.. I think you have the record there, never seen them in the bed... Enjoy the pics

http://s243.beta.photobucket.com/user/1lo620/library/#

http://s243.beta.photobucket.com/user/1lo620/library/#

Sorry my pics didnt post up...they changed format on photobucket and I am not a computer guy... so I am back to trying to figure out how to post picks onto this site via my photobucket account.... sorry... but I guess you can click on the libary and see my whole libary and there are alot of Datsuns...

Smooth??

It had 700 something louvres :rofl:

well maybe not smoooth....talk about a motherfucker sanding louvers. But short of chopping the top, i couldn't do anymore shaving or smoothing. I actually changed the front fenders to only four louvers at the very bottom. But the truck was still pretty slick. I louvered the hell out of it because i could, naturally and as a calling card for my shop.

Tim

I see that you got a good deal at $7.95....i seen that the others were listed all at around $20 bucks! Man they use to give these stickers away for free back in the days! They also had the "Mighty Met" stickers from KMET FM

Whoo yaaa! I was always a KMET guy :)

"little bit ' a heaven, 94.7.....KMET, Tweedle Dee!"

From my stash.....yes I went.

103_9987.jpg

There was a mini truck club in San diego called TooHip..& theyre logo looked similar to the radio station decals.

I live in Bullhead city AZ & work in Havasu a few times a month. Small chance ill find it but ill look for your 620 in backyards etc...