720 4x4 front diff R180?

DREWSDIME

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but at least on the later 720's the stub axles are clip-in, not bolt in like the 510, so you either need to modify your stub axles to accept the clip ring or swap the appropriate pieces into the new R180 to accept the bolts. Scroll down on this page and it's all detailed out with pictures:

http://www.diyautoftw.com/showthread.php?203-Differential-CV-LSD-HP-Torque-R160-R180-R200-R230-Diff-Mount-FAQ

I could be mistaken but I believe the 720 r180s are snap in stub and the 510 is bolt in stub. You can convert by swapping the buttons from the stock r160. I guess you could leave it and let them float, some z guys do that but I never would. Again I could be wrong but I believe the tooth count is the same as well. Z guys call it a bolt in affair.

You can use a 4.11 from a 200sx too. I just installed one I got of ebay for 200 shipped. He had more if you want.

Ya or like matt said you can mod the shafts for clip in. What Jon is talking about in the write up is what I was referring too, swapping the buttons. I just did it to the 200sx diff I installed. Not hard if you have the proper place and tools.

From the best of my kowledge it was stock, but given the "K" R180 could be converted to use bolt in stub axles It may not have been.

I bought it from the local JY. They pulled it. The flanges for the truck half shafts were round with a bolt in the center. I never personally swapped the stub axles on it for use in a 510.

It could have been a warrantee or replacement part for a dealer repair that used a later “K” R180 in an earlier truck where the threaded spider gears inserts got installed to accept the bolt in axles. I have no the history other than that was how it came to me from the JY and I assumed it was OE.

I do not believe it was modified, but who knows. I just looked as if it was manufactured that way but without history it could well have been a replacement part.

• 1 year later...

You sure it was stock? I never heard of a bolt in K series r180 before.

Here's one of my 720 "K" series R180/4.11.....supposedly stronger than the non "K"?

The 510 R160 stubs bolt right in.......just have to swap the dust shields

P2120017_zps07ff88bd.jpg

P2120012_zps557f11a1.jpg

P2120013_zps687f2ddc.jpg

P4080007_zpsaa5b039d.jpg

P4080006_zps3e85e7c5.jpg

K refers to a 4 pinion?

I have no Z24i trucks......I believe I have other 4.11s outside with no K stamped on them, which have the non bolt in stubs.

Maybe..... :D

My 510 has the R180/4.38s...bolt in stubs.

Hmmmmm...moar investigating is needed.