Disc Brake Help

Enrique20

I have a 1972 510 and i have been looking for brakes for the longest time now about 2 weeks and cant find any! can i get some help on what brakes will fit on it, i tried centric brake parts and they dont make them anymore and no website i have been on seems to have them either. i am going nuts searching for them. any help is appreciated.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you looking for replacement parts for stock 510 brakes? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ seems to have most pieces, maybe not in stock in every store, but I suppose they can get what is on their website. They seem to have lots of stores in Cali.

If you want bigger, better brakes that bolt to 510 struts, I don't know. There may be something, just I don't have the info. Most guys switch to 280ZX (not 280Z) or Maxima struts and get bigger brakes that way. Look in the Suspension category here on Ratsun for write-ups on ZX strut swap. You end up with lower, stiffer suspension AND way better brakes.

Len

• Like 1

So i went to auto zone and i ordered the rotors and the next day i get an email saying they are out of stock and wont be able to send them and my order is canceled. But thank you for your input now i have to look for another alternative.

Are you looking for replacement parts for stock 510 brakes? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ seems to have most pieces, maybe not in stock in every store, but I suppose they can get what is on their website. They seem to have lots of stores in Cali.

If you want bigger, better brakes that bolt to 510 struts, I don't know. There may be something, just I don't have the info. Most guys switch to 280ZX (not 280Z) or Maxima struts and get bigger brakes that way. Look in the Suspension category here on Ratsun for write-ups on ZX strut swap. You end up with lower, stiffer suspension AND way better brakes.

Len

You may have to just try every auto parts store in your area and see if anyone can get them. I did look them up on the NAPA site and they show rotors:

http://www.napaonlin...5575_0148363454

but they may not actually have them available. The "Order Online" price for me here in E WA is $21.49 each plus shipping. I can't tell shipping charges without going through a registration process. You might try a NAPA store and see what they say. I believe they have a really good system for the local stores to order in parts they don't have in stock. I'll probably be in a NAPA store in a couple of days. I'll see what they say cause I'm curious now, even though I'm planning to go to bigger 280ZX struts and brakes.

Len

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help! All i am trying to do is get it working so i can get it registered and stuff, then i am planning on upgrading the to 5 lug pattern, then get an rb25det. Im going to try to make it all modern and electric hopefully itll work, ac and stuff. =]

You may have to just try every auto parts store in your area and see if anyone can get them. I did look them up on the NAPA site and they show rotors:

http://www.napaonlin...5575_0148363454

but they may not actually have them available. The "Order Online" price for me here in E WA is $21.49 each plus shipping. I can't tell shipping charges without going through a registration process. You might try a NAPA store and see what they say. I believe they have a really good system for the local stores to order in parts they don't have in stock. I'll probably be in a NAPA store in a couple of days. I'll see what they say cause I'm curious now, even though I'm planning to go to bigger 280ZX struts and brakes.

Len

the trick is to go to rockauto, get the part number, and then look for it on ebay, where itll be cheaper, and youll know it's 'in stock' or else it wouldnt be posted up for auction

I'm curious how bad your original rotors are. If they are just rusty, they can be cleaned up with sandpaper. A brake shop can lathe them if they are warped, as long as they haven't been turned down too much already. I've run badly grooved rotors on my old Chevy van and they worked fine. I'm not saying to do anything unsafe, but if you are just trying to get the car going, you might get along okay with what you have.

What struts do you plan to use for the 5-lug swap? 280ZX? You could swap in ZX struts, brakes, and 4-lug hubs with 510 springs for now. Then do coilovers, camber plates, and 5-lug hubs at a later date.

Len