Datsun down

So my 521 sits from Monday til Friday night while I'm at work. Got into tonight and she fired up normal everything was great. Threw all my shit in the cab and by the time we left the truck yard she was warmed up. Normal everything. Cruised down the freeway at 60 mph for 10 miles, everything normal when exiting freeway. Pulled away from first red light and noticed she was runnin bad, like had bad gas. Got it above 2500 and she was doin normal again.

At second light she was bogging down again, I stomped on the gas at 3000rpm and got a backfire thru carb! Nice and easy for the next mile or so. Was doin 45mph, when I here what sounds like something fell into the fan. slap slap slap slap!! Then no engine power. Coasted to side of road and starter no nothing. EVERYTHING electrical works, starter no click no nothin. When it lost power, oil psi was 50 engine temp was 180. NORMAL. No fluid leaks no wierd smells. Tried to push start it and all i gots was backfire thru carb. Dizzy moves, cam moves. Pulled all the plugs while waiting for my wife and they were all perfect! I thought maybe I dropped a valve seat or 8.

So engine won't run and starter won't do shit, evrything works. Something in the wiring????? Timing jump??

My baby is parked on side of road till daylight when I can go see whats up. Any ideas????

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Check the t-cover(dizzy to) make sure all tight and good,had this happen a few years ago, was a puzzler.

something so simple made for a long cold night..

and drag that baby home with the wifes vehicle now!

Coasted to side of road and starter no nothing. EVERYTHING electrical works, starter no click no nothin. So engine won't run and starter won't do shit, evrything works.

I take it that you mean you turn the key to start and the starter does not turn the motor over????

Try shorting across the solenoid to the battery cable where it bolts to the starter. (be sure you're out of gear) Starter should turn over at least. If you have the key on it might start...

If not do the usual check for spark...

I take it that you mean you turn the key to start and the starter does not turn the motor over????

Try shorting across the solenoid to the battery cable where it bolts to the starter. (be sure you're out of gear) Starter should turn over at least. If you have the key on it might start...

Yes turn key and nothing. I tried the screwdriver trick........still nothing, no spark nuttin :confused:

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Yes turn key and nothing. I tried the screwdriver trick........still nothing, no spark nuttin :confused:

It will be something so simple that your head will shake when it is found

• Like 1

No spark? The positive on the battery is going straight to the starter solenoid right? And the negative of the battery goes to motor and frame/body? There shouldnt be anything in the way of a starter getting power except the solenoid, which you shorted...

No spark? The positive on the battery is going straight to the starter solenoid right? And the negative of the battery goes to motor and frame/body? There shouldnt be anything in the way of a starter getting power except the solenoid, which you shorted...

What you mean I shorted solenoid?? I have started many a Datsun with a screwdriver trick and never messed up solenoid

Do 5twenty ones use the fusable link at the starter?

I dont think there is a fusible link on a 8 gauge wire... The fusible link would be after to the fusebox, or something. The starter should always be able to have power. It is pretty much the one system in any car that you can jump.

Well that's impossible.

The starter case is grounded. The positive wire goes to the lug. When you short the positive lug to the solenoid it has to kick in and starter turns. IF NOT...

Ground battery cable loose at post or head end.

Positive battery cable loose at post or starter end..

What you mean I shorted solenoid?? I have started many a Datsun with a screwdriver trick and never messed up solenoid

Screw driver trick, ie, shorting the 2 terminals on the starter solenoid (round object attached to starter motor). Nothing wrong with that. I have done it too.

But because shorting the 2 terminals didnt even make sparks. Makes me wonder what your battery cables are up to.