Classic Datsun Insurance

After reading Triple240z's comment on his insurance "Just liability......sucks......classic car insurance is expensive here." I wanted to pass this on.

My regular insurance company didn't want to insure my 72 1200 and required I have a mechanical inspection before they would even consider it. All I wanted was liability. So I called a couple classic car insurance company's, The second one I called was Hagerty. They said they don't offer liability only but would give me full coverage if the car was worth at least $3500. and it would only be $113.00 A YEAR. There is no way my car is worth $3500 but they only wanted a couple of outside pictures. So after sending them they responded they would insure it no problem. I found lots of good reveiws on them when I searched so I don't think they will shaft me if I need them. They may not do daily drivers, I didn't ask but it's worth checking.

$113 a year

NO mileage limitions

$3500 if it's get's totaled

www.hagerty.com

WINNING!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Hagerty does not insure cars for commuting. Only "classic cars", check the terms of the paperwork and you will see.

I go the same coverage through State Farm for only $12/month, after multi-car, older than 24, and safe driver discounts. It is classic car stated coverage with towing.

You need a regular commuter that is already insured for them to write you a classic car policy. I've been a customer for, hmmm, probably 10 years or so. They're the way to go. Roughly half of all classic cars are insured through them.

As for the other insurance companies, MAKE SURE that it's an AGREED value policy. If it gets totaled, they give you that figure, no games. With Hagerty your payment is based on your AGREED value.

For Hagerty you have to have a daily driver (that isnt a motorcycle) and it has to be driven less than 8 or 10,000 miles per year (thats what they told me, but cool if they said unlimited for you). and I cant remember if it was Hagerty or not...but I know one of the classic car insurers wouldnt let you insure with them if you were younger than 35!

My dad has hagerty on all the classics in the shop, you cant daily drive. If you get caught, they will cut you off. Its a great price if you got a garage car, unlike some of us who drive their datsuns alot.

Allstate i pay 15 a month for FULL COVERAGE, i could daily driver her, everything, and shes on there as a classic car, they tried getting me on hagerty because they apparently contract out to them or something, but i said no, i love driving my car all the time. When shes all fully restored maybe then, but id rather pay a few more bucks and drive it all the time.

And just so you go oh i wouldnt get caught driving every day, you wouldnt, unless you got a ticket, then they would start to investigate.

Hagerty doesn't actually have a mileage limit. They stress that they "want people to be able to drive their cars to events".

Ya I was going to say this. Idk where these misconceptions about classic insurance and not being able to drive your car a lot come from. Dif policies have different stipulations but there are plenty of cheap full coverage options that allow unlimited driving. Fact of the matter is ticket or no it would be extremely difficult for a company to prove how often a person is driving their car. It's in their best interests to actually allow unlimited as a selling point vs trying to witch hunt people.

I use American Collectors, they arent as good as Hagerty but they arent as expensive either. They require a garage but not that you own a daily, there is no mileage limit but you cant track the car. They really pushed that issue about not tracking but I wonder how many classic insurance companies are actually covering cars on the track? I know Hagerty has on option but Idk many others. It comes out to like 80 a year for full coverage with an agreed value. They tacked on a towing policy that I didnt even notice because I paid a full year up front so it came out to 100 all said and done. I dont want or need the 3 free tows or w/e but hey its there.

Being under 25 will certainly effect your rates in a big way. My rates dropped like 20% when I re-upped after turning 25. Then I switched and with a fresh policy being over 25yo they dropped even more. When I was 19 I was paying like 200 a month to fully insure a 98 explorer xlt and now I pay like 65 for liability on a 01 xterra. Seems high but these are Jersey prices, some of the highest int he country I'm told.

Also Idk how it works in cali but in NJ you can get historic or regular registration over 25 years. I'm paying 80 a year but my friend who was lazy getting reg plates is paying more like 600 for insurance.

• 2 weeks later...

For Hagerty you have to have a daily driver (that isnt a motorcycle) and it has to be driven less than 8 or 10,000 miles per year (thats what they told me, but cool if they said unlimited for you). and I cant remember if it was Hagerty or not...but I know one of the classic car insurers wouldnt let you insure with them if you were younger than 35!

Dammit I was so stoked!

I have hagerty also, but when I first insured threw them, there were mileage limits, 3500 miles a year, the vehicle had to be worth at least $3500.00, it has to be garaged, and you were supposed to own a DD that was less than 10 years old.

I tried insuring my 65 datsun L320, but they said that even a perfect one wasn't worth enough back then.

They did fudge for me though, my DD was a 1947 chevy truck with a modern drivetrain that had been insured for several years as just that, a daily, so after some indecisiveness on there end for a couple days they gave in, the buck almighty won again.