Where does the tachometer/speedometer light cable connect to in a 77 B210 Datsun

Zeek90

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the wire unplugged? How do you know this? More likely the 2 light bulbs (there are only 3 bulbs for the entire cluster, and one is over by the TEMP gauge) are burned out. If the temp gauge is lit, then the cluster is plugged in. There's no separate wires for the cluster lights- they're part of the entire cluster wiring plug, which also runs the idiot lights. Now if you have NO dash illumination lights at all, it could be many things- headlight switch bad, blown fuse (which would also knock out the running lights), or bad dimmer. Or disconnected dimmer. If the headlight switch was disconnected you wouldn't have and headlights/taillights at all.

Here's a eBay link to a B210 cluster, shows the locations of the bulbs (they're the black twist-out sockets in the printed circuit board. 4 of those are the idiot lights, though. The 2 by the speedo and the one in the top corner over the temp gauge are the illumination bulbs)

Link won't be around very long because it's an ebay link, but it's the only pic I could find fast that shows the back of the cluster:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GAUGE-CLUSTER-TEMP-FUEL-SPEEDOMETER-SPEEDO-1976-76-DATSUN-B210-B-210-/160853163986

It's a total pain in the wrist to reach the bulbs. Any guy with normal sized hands will have a hell of a time reaching, let alone removing, the bulb sockets. And expect lots of cuts from exposed screws under the dash, make sure your tetanus shots are up to date.

The tach, OTOH, has it's own harness, as it was optional. 2 bulbs attached to a pigtail (which also is the tach wiring) which plugs into the main dash harness.

Damn no fore-play at all, right down to business.... ouch!

painface-940x626.jpg

If the B-210 instrument cluster is like most, the bulbs are mounted in a plastic holder that is inserted into the circuit board by pushing in and twisting. Pull the instrument cluster out from the dash, (you'll probably have to disconnect the speedo cable to get enough slack) and have a look. The bulb may simply be burned out.

Is the wire unplugged? How do you know this? More likely the 2 light bulbs (there are only 3 bulbs for the entire cluster, and one is over by the TEMP gauge) are burned out. If the temp gauge is lit, then the cluster is plugged in. There's no separate wires for the cluster lights- they're part of the entire cluster wiring plug, which also runs the idiot lights. Now if you have NO dash illumination lights at all, it could be many things- headlight switch bad, blown fuse (which would also knock out the running lights), or bad dimmer. Or disconnected dimmer. If the headlight switch was disconnected you wouldn't have and headlights/taillights at all.

Here's a eBay link to a B210 cluster, shows the locations of the bulbs (they're the black twist-out sockets in the printed circuit board. 4 of those are the idiot lights, though. The 2 by the speedo and the one in the top corner over the temp gauge are the illumination bulbs)

Link won't be around very long because it's an ebay link, but it's the only pic I could find fast that shows the back of the cluster:

http://www.ebay.com/...0-/160853163986

It's a total pain in the wrist to reach the bulbs. Any guy with normal sized hands will have a hell of a time reaching, let alone removing, the bulb sockets. And expect lots of cuts from exposed screws under the dash, make sure your tetanus shots are up to date.

The tach, OTOH, has it's own harness, as it was optional. 2 bulbs attached to a pigtail (which also is the tach wiring) which plugs into the main dash harness.

Thanks that ebay picture helped allot. i was able to replace my burnt out alternator light buld. but thats all so far. :( its so hard to put my hands behined that cluster. and my temp gauge does not light up. only thing that lights up is my oil-p light, break light,Alt Charge light, and my headlights work even the high beam blue light lights up, blinkers even hazards. i found this 3 point female wire cable hanging unpluged around the wire harnest that runs over the steering colum. funny thing is i tested that hanging upluged wire with a light tester and i only get power when i turn on my headlights switch. when i turn off my headlights i get no power to the wire. so i assumed it was to the cluster lighting..thing is i cant find where it connects to :confused:

Damn no fore-play at all, right down to business.... ouch!

painface-940x626.jpg

If the B-210 instrument cluster is like most, the bulbs are mounted in a plastic holder that is inserted into the circuit board by pushing in and twisting. Pull the instrument cluster out from the dash, (you'll probably have to disconnect the speedo cable to get enough slack) and have a look. The bulb may simply be burned out.

i really dont want to pull the instrument cluster from the dash... but i might end up having to do so. im able to fit my hand behind the instrument cluster but its so difficult to manuver ur hand to unplug thos plastic light bulb holders. i was tho able to replace my black burnt alt charge light tho.. but i still have no cluster light.. driving at night is like just estimating how fast u are going on the hwy. and pulling out the flash light or turning on the dome light to check all that.. at night.

Heh. I borrowed a '76 AMC Hornet when I was in High School for 2 weeks. Dash lights didn't work so I bungee corded a flashlight to the headrest. I ended up fixing the lights (it was a corroded dimmer).

As for your lights, if you have a adventurous and not too prissy female significant other, they usually can reach those dash bulbs easier.

Heh. I borrowed a '76 AMC Hornet when I was in High School for 2 weeks. Dash lights didn't work so I bungee corded a flashlight to the headrest. I ended up fixing the lights (it was a corroded dimmer).

As for your lights, if you have a adventurous and not too prissy female significant other, they usually can reach those dash bulbs easier.

Yeah little hands will do the job.