emissions removal

Zlich

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

okay sealik I calculated the gears I dont think its right but I spun the 29" tires 10 times and the driveshaft spun 20 times and almost made it to a even 21. Im thinking its like 20.75 rotations on the drive shaft but I did the math and got 4:15 gearing and that doesnt sound right.

It's a 4X4, right? It has a transfer case shifter, right? They have 2H, 4H, N, 4L positions, unless it's some wonky full-time 4WD that isn't stock.

You should be turning somewhere close to 3000 RPMs at 60MPH if it's stock.

So either it's not stock, or something isn't right.

Likely cause:

1) The tach is lying.

2) The transfer case is in low range

Slightly less likely causes:

3) Your clutch is slipping beyond belief (but you won't be able to go up hills if it was slipping that badly)

Possible but improbable:

4) It has 5.11 rock crawler gears in it, in which case you should not drive it on freeways

5) Your speedometer is bad and you're really doing 90MPH.

its in N and It was driven from bend oregon to washington If my speedometer was off Im pretty sure I would have been pulled over. But I also checked and the speedometer is accurate. I have only driven it 1 time on where it needed to go 60+ the rest of the time the highest was 55. I cant remember my rpms off the top of my head.

okay sealik I calculated the gears I dont think its right but I spun the 29" tires 10 times and the driveshaft spun 20 times and almost made it to a even 21. Im thinking its like 20.75 rotations on the drive shaft but I did the math and got 4:15 gearing and that doesnt sound right.

You have 4.11s........

Better confirm that the front diff is also the same ratio.

Looks like the gears/diffs were swapped at one time....being that your ID plate states 3.89s

Yes, 4.11. If it was lsd, both wheels will turn 41 times when driveshaft is turned 10 times. For open differential one wheel stops while the other turns.

Or if the wheels spin differently, your estimate is all wrong.

well I jacked it up from the center so both wheels were in the air and I got no were so i just jacked up the passenger side rear tire and spun it forward and got the 20 3/4 of a spin. Im sure it was less than 1/4 away from being at 21 rotations. I wouldnt mind having a lsd thought. well atleast now I know I have 4.11 gears. how would I calculate my front end? I only have one cv axle right now

its in N and It was driven from bend oregon to washington If my speedometer was off Im pretty sure I would have been pulled over. But I also checked and the speedometer is accurate. I have only driven it 1 time on where it needed to go 60+ the rest of the time the highest was 55. I cant remember my rpms off the top of my head.

There's no way you could drive from Bend to Hoodsport in N. You couldn't drive 6 inches in N, unless it was all on a hill. If it's in N you shouldn't be able to drive anywhere. That's Neutral. It disconnects both front and rear driveshafts into freespin.

Since N is NOT next to 2H, I now give higher creedence that you actually have it in 4L. 720 T-cases are (from front to back) 2H, 4H, N, 4L.

Seems to me to be quite obviously in low range... Shift the transfer case lever. Whats your max speed in 1st gear, like 3 mph???

Damn...

I couldnt tell you right now it doesnt run but in 2wd its like 10 15mphs I havnt taken it out in 4wd because theirs no point I only have 1 cv axle.

I couldnt tell you right now it doesnt run but in 2wd its like 10 15mphs I havnt taken it out in 4wd because theirs no point I only have 1 cv axle.

There IS absolutely a reason to take it out of 4wd... wear and tear. No reason to have the tcase/driveline/etc spinning if it doesn't need to be. And have you ever lost a front driveline on the freeway? I have... not fun.

No point in arguing about this until you have it running, but there is NO way you are doing 5k at 55, without something being wrong. period.

There IS absolutely a reason to take it out of 4wd... wear and tear. No reason to have the tcase/driveline/etc spinning if it doesn't need to be. And have you ever lost a front driveline on the freeway? I have... not fun.

No point in arguing about this until you have it running, but there is NO way you are doing 5k at 55, without something being wrong. period.

I meant I havnt engaged the 4wd at all since I have gotten it. Its been run in 2wd since I got it running in august. I have no reason to put it IN 4wd. I dont have the driverside cv axle.