emissions removal

Zlich

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

low gearing (4.625) balances out oversize tires. So you should still get close to stock performance. Are you putting your foot down and letting it rev up to 4500 RPM? That's what Z24 engine wants. It will go faster in 4th than in 5th.

Now if you have oversize tire and high gearing (3.89 gears) then you'd need more power.

It might also have something to do with my whole carb having problems to. I'm rebuilding it here soon to get by till I can get the cash for a weber. But as far as I know it's a completely stock z24 only had 8 hours put on it when it was dropped into my truck. The only thing iv done is straight piped it to a 2" to 6" custom muffler and I have all the back pressure I need.

HORY SHET... 5k at 60? :blink: ... my 720 had 4.625 (pathfinder rear) and small tires at 70mph it was humming along at 3k rpm... so you with 33" tires and 5k at sixty sounds like 9.29 gears... and that stock carb is so much very holding your truck back... i bought the 32/36 new... and totally wished i had got the 38... you should get the 38. you have a nice header, and plenty of exhaust... the next step is a carb, then maybe an "RV" cam (they do great for wheeling) schneider or web cams has great selection, i think comp cams makes on for your truck...

as for the carb, they go new for 3 hundo. you should be able to find one used for half that (count on a rebuild kit, and rejetting it)

also check out the "weber carburetors hp book" and the "turbochargers hp book" amazon sells used books like that for about ten bucks a pop...

32/36... smaller carb, and only one barrel is open first half of throttle, secondary opens up when you get past about half way down on the pedal. 38, larger carb, more air, more gas. I can't recall but its either both barrels open or one large one?? Someone else can chime in on that. I've never owned a 38

Keep in mind, thats a Naps motor (nissan anti polution). They have poor air flow, and were never intended for high rpms or performance. Emissions based head... You get most of your performance low and mid RPMS, not a lot left at the top. So the 38 might be almost pointless.

A Weber might be the right choice. Then again, I chose to rebuild. Here's my DIY post for the carb rebuild. You definately have a Hitachi carb and the rebuild kit is pretty cheap.

http://community.rat...vy/#entry515654

Here is my guide to where all the vacuum lines go. The post used my 1986 720 with a Z24. Yours might have minor differnces. You can tell from all the vacuum line pics that it is a real mess, so go slow when examining the vacuum lines and make sure you put them back the way they came off.

Good luck!

http://www.nicoclub....pair-guide.html

What did you think of the 38 on your z24? Im trying to figure out what weber carb I should get for my truck and cant decide if I should get a 32/36 or the 38.

I put a 32/36 on my '86 720 and it's been running great for about 3 years. Lots of power for 207000+ miles on Z24. I didn't do anything special with emissions rat nest either; just plugged everything up with only carb-dist vacuum advance left hooked up. Here in Tucson, I get about 20 mpg in town and 28-30 on hwy. I just bought an '85 720 so am selling the '86 in a few days. (I didn't want to go through fixing up for emissions.) The '85 has 'ST' on the rear of the bed, I can't seem to find any info about different versions of this truck. I've seen references to 'Deluxe', 'Sport', or 'base', any idea what this means?

st is sport truck. it was the 2wd short wheelbase model Im pretty sure

and to the OP...when your truck doesnt run right due to carb issues probably isnt the best time to fuck around in the engine bay modding shit. I've found that the most reliable car is one left stock. weber would be a good place to start, you say you can't afford a $300 carburetor but youre asking about turbo setups? don't buy a turbo yet, save your money and buy that weber, used to have a weber on my dime and I kept it when I sold the old engine because they are awesome and if I ever have anything L powered again I want to have that option still open. but the point is, fix the carb issues first, then see if you can't go more than 60

ST came in 85...to 86.

Options included....PW,PL,sunroof, ST decal package, ST steering wheel, tack, clock, brushed aluminum 'facade' on dash, console with oil and volt gauges, molded armrests and upgraded interior door panels

Some STs came fully loaded......some not

Both of my 85 STs, 2 and 4WD KCs came with all the above options

HORY SHET... 5k at 60? :blink: ... my 720 had 4.625 (pathfinder rear) and small tires at 70mph it was humming along at 3k rpm... so you with 33" tires and 5k at sixty sounds like 9.29 gears... and that stock carb is so much very holding your truck back... i bought the 32/36 new... and totally wished i had got the 38... you should get the 38. you have a nice header, and plenty of exhaust... the next step is a carb, then maybe an "RV" cam (they do great for wheeling) schneider or web cams has great selection, i think comp cams makes on for your truck...

as for the carb, they go new for 3 hundo. you should be able to find one used for half that (count on a rebuild kit, and rejetting it)

also check out the "weber carburetors hp book" and the "turbochargers hp book" amazon sells used books like that for about ten bucks a pop...

Right now it has 29in tires on it. I want to throw a set of 31's under it. Iv also heard that getting a 38 makes the motor stall or something like that when you stomp the pedal down? I cant remember exactly at the moment.

st is sport truck. it was the 2wd short wheelbase model Im pretty sure

and to the OP...when your truck doesnt run right due to carb issues probably isnt the best time to fuck around in the engine bay modding shit. I've found that the most reliable car is one left stock. weber would be a good place to start, you say you can't afford a $300 carburetor but youre asking about turbo setups? don't buy a turbo yet, save your money and buy that weber, used to have a weber on my dime and I kept it when I sold the old engine because they are awesome and if I ever have anything L powered again I want to have that option still open. but the point is, fix the carb issues first, then see if you can't go more than 60

the Whole turbo thing Is just an idea at the moment Im trying to figure out what all Ill need to do it first. I am focusing on the carb the most right now and this whole post started before my carb took a dump on me. Im about to rebuild the old carb and if that doesnt work im gunna save up for a weber. dont know what size yet ether a 32/36 or a 38 for sure.

87D94F74-1ED9-499E-BA11-E9178B584A9C-2026-0000019B8F28F09D.jpg

HE38

You sure that plate hasn't been swapped from a 2WD?

(from 1981 factory service manual)

rwd manual trans: 3.889

rwd auto trans: 4.111

4wd both + rwd one ton: 4.375

All my early 4x4 720s are HF43.

The way you are revving at 60 MPH...you have at least 438s in the 'rear'

The way you are revving at 60 MPH...you have at least 438s in the 'rear'

your whole post kinda lost me. but yeah Im pretty sure its a stock 4x4 I can always run the vin# to find out for sure. and are 438s good or bad? Iv never really had to deal with gearing before and dont quite understand it. a quick rundown if you could give it on the basics would be great. this is my first truck and its gunna be around for awhile.

your whole post kinda lost me. but yeah Im pretty sure its a stock 4x4 I can always run the vin# to find out for sure. and are 438s good or bad? Iv never really had to deal with gearing before and dont quite understand it. a quick rundown if you could give it on the basics would be great. this is my first truck and its gunna be around for awhile.

The heavier 4x4 needed a lower gear ratio to get it moving...(numerically higher....ie 4.38s/4.11s)

Your truck came stock with 4.38s, thus the higher RPM at 60MPH......the lighter 2WD didn't need those gears, thus the 3.89s and or

My guess that ID plate has been replaced.......it should match the one on the dash, door well and frame

Lower gears (4.38s/4.11s)....good for bottom end.....'around town'...out of the hole.

Higher gears (3.89s > etc)...better for cruising/top end...but less torque. Not conducive for the 4x4

well I ran the vin and its a stock 4x4. but i wouldnt know if it was changed out my dad (who had the truck before me) bought it from a junkyard with a hole in the stock motor. He didnt even know about this badge untill i told him about it. so enless the guy before him that had it switched it I would belive its the stock badge.