emissions removal

Zlich

Im looking to try and remove a bunch of emissions hoses and what not from my 81 datsun. its got a z24 motor in it and I was wondering if anyone else has removed all the emissons hoses and what not from the motor. I know that I have a bunch of emissons hoses cause my old 84 nissan that I had with a bad z24 in it had all the emissons properly removed and it had a bunch of vacume lines removed that I have on my truck.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I pulled all the emissions crap off my 81... The general opinion is that if everything is working properly then leave it alone. My stock carb took a dump so I replaced out with a 38 weber. I cut the EGR tubing off at the exhaust manifold and plugged the holes. All the vacuum hoses went away with the exception of the vacuum advance line...

I was told to just bend the EGR tube to get it out of the way I had swaped my headers but kept the EGR tubing. what one is the vacuume advacne line? I was thinking just taking everything off and marking where it went and if it doesnt run right then put it back on. but I dont even know if its a stock carb or not it came off the 84 that had all the emmisions removed from it.

Here's what I did...ran the vacuum advance line from the distributor to the carb over and with the brake lines that cross the firewall. Took all of the tees and Ports that had vacuum lines off and installed pipe plugs in their place...removed the canister from the driver fenderwell and the solenoids from the passenger fenderwell. Capped off the vent tube coming from the fuel tank...capped off all the vacuum Ports on the carb except for the one that goes to the distributor. then removed the egr valve and tube. Made a blockoff plate for the intake. Also removed the two tubes from the front of the manifold that went to the air

...air cleaner. Those three tubes that came off the exhaust manifold, I removed the nuts...placed nickels underneath them in the holes on the manifold...then reinstalled the nuts without the tubes. Truck ran perfect until I blew a head gasket. Didn't change the fuel mileage at all, and gave it a little more pep. I drove it for over a year that way until I decided to twist it a little too tight one day lol...

A2EBFABB-8505-4918-9AEF-EF0698D22541-3562-000002A928AC3947.jpg716FE5AC-BF73-44E2-8DD0-A36187A2C8A2-3562-000002A91C657B16.jpg6EEF52B8-8544-4173-AE2C-2C6F8EBC089D-3599-000002AACEA22635.jpg084E9D64-06E8-43A1-8C15-3AE20203DCF2-3599-000002AAD8A1B7C5.jpg3E021AB6-7BC6-40A9-AB38-92DB82AFEDB2-3599-000002AADE92522C.jpgF5B5B9A9-6DE8-4D65-B45C-5B46000622E4-3599-000002AAE4C13F62.jpg

I think Im missing the one from the distributor to the carburator. let me know also does anyone have a good carburator for a 1984 z24 motor that doesnt need a rebuild? cause mines kinda toast right now and my truck will have to sit till I can get the money to fix it :( But I got my hands on some 2inch pipe thats gunna be used to build a stack for my truck.

your distributor advance is one of the metal tubes running across the front of your engine. it also attaches to a two ish inch tall temp switch on your intake manifold... to clean that mess up you need simple green, and a weber dgev (i suggest 38)

what mine looks like...

polishedcamcov1.jpg

DSCF2163.jpg

personally I think you need to bite the bullet and get a weber on it. Lot less headache and you go from this:

IMAG0132.jpg

to this:

IMAG0196.jpg

pulling the emissions did nothing but fracked up my gas mileage and I had to get a weber anyway. You can check out my thread if you need a good laugh.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/18069-my-lil-mule/

Iv been actually looking around to get a weber since the carburator I have took a dump on me. I just dont have the funds right now to buy one so a rebuild kit is what im doing right now till I get the money for a weber. any of you guys know where to find one for cheap? and the emmissons removal is just something I wanna do so I can clean up my engine compartment some. It was a pain when I un plugged a bunch of vaccume lines while replacing my starter just to find out I dont even need them.

alright. Iv also been looking around and havnt found a diy of bolting a turbo onto a z24. Iv seen videos of it done and I wouldnt mind doing it if anyone has done it or can point me into a good direction of where to get started. I was thinking of picking up a turbo kit for a 240sx. I know i need a different exhaust manifold and some other things I cant remeber off the top of my head.

I pulled all the emissions crap off my 81... The general opinion is that if everything is working properly then leave it alone. My stock carb took a dump so I replaced out with a 38 weber. I cut the EGR tubing off at the exhaust manifold and plugged the holes. All the vacuum hoses went away with the exception of the vacuum advance line...

What did you think of the 38 on your z24? Im trying to figure out what weber carb I should get for my truck and cant decide if I should get a 32/36 or the 38.
  • Like 1

Im not planning on pulling anything if I was Id get a fullsize. I wanna get speed just for driving cause as it is I can barely hit 60 and I plan on doing alot of offroading so I think itd be a good thing to have. and how would you find out if the radiator is plugged? dont really know how this came into this though lol