To stretch or not to stretch

The widened steely look is starting to grow on me, i have 2 sets of stock 13 inch rims for my 510, so i kinda want to see how it would look. I dont know very much about the doing it though (i know a shop must do it). Should i not do it? do i need special tires? maximum stretch without fender flares? opinions? or photos of this already done?

thanks!!

This is what they look like...

P8270083.jpg

i like DRW wheels also..

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to look back in 5 years and think to yourself "I can't believe I followed that retarded trend" then go for it.

Your car, stretch to your hearts content. Stance it out and enjoy buying tires every 6 months.

Haha I already go through tires like that, my Ek and 240 are slammed on there nuts and have both have pretty aggressive camber. I guess I did ask for opinions, and I know a lot of people don't like that kinda of look but I have 3 510's and steelies out the ass so I figured I'd give it a shot

Sorry Wolfman, going to hijack your thread here because I'm in a similar spot, though I don't want to stretch for cosmetic reasons. My wheels just have a bit of poke.

Maybe folks can use this thread since stretching seems like a hot topic these days.

I currently have 15x6 with 205/60 in front and 14x7 with 235x60 in rear - Running 15s in front to clear Wilwoods. I prefer the height of the 15s (14s are slightly shorter) and don't want to lose the height, mainly because I want a usable 5th gear, and I like how the truck rides. This my current set up:

620_valance.jpg

I'm going to be switching over to some 15x8.5 - these have about 2" of poke all around. I really don't want a crazy stretch, but wanted to see what your guy's opinion was on doing a mild stretch to clear my fenders. Thinking about going with flares, possibly. I was leaning towards sticking with a 205/60, but was also thinking about 195/60. Opinions?

New wheel mounted:

photo-6.jpg

IMO, 205/60 would look okay and probably fit okay. I have my 15x10's with 205/60 on the rear, but it's too much stretch for me... gonna go with 225/50 soon.

My 15x8's with a 205/60/15 would have cleared the fenders with a slight roll/pull. Very minimal

STRETCH ALL THE TIRES

Only an idiot would think that tire stretching is just a fad.

It will always look better than some balloon looking tires. (no stretch only looks good on sub 40-series tires)

Federal makes 205/60-13. you could do 13x9 or 10 depending on how much calculating and measuring you do to get the offset perfect. However, widened steelies is kind of lame. I highly reccomend getting cool wheels and having them re-lipped/barreled.

The only difficult part about stretching tires is getting them mounted. Only because of ignorant people thinking that stretching tires is dangerous and not willing to do it. Just find a cheap no-name tire shop and they'll typically do it for you.

Would like to note: stretching tires has nothing to do with tire wear.

I'd like to see someone autocross on really stretched tires.

I've seen it done.

A lot actually. And never seen anyone have an issue, in fact it seems like some of the fastest cars that I've seen Auto-X has had stretched tires. Nothing obnoxious like a 195/50 on a 10 inch wheel