DIY Free Autocheck!

metalmonkey47

Ever been curious about your Datsuns history???

Well, here's a simple guide to learning a little bit about where your Datsun has been:

1: Go to Google.
2: Search "dealer autocheck inurl:vin"
3. Find the first result with a car dealer site.
4. Go to the link, and replace the VIN at the end with the vin of your Datsun and... VIOLA! You have a basic history report.

This is my 620!

http://www.edmunds.com/api/inventory/findexperianbyvin?vin=WAUBFAFL1CN012452&franchiseId=755328&siteid=3400&timeout=1000

Feel free to post yours up. I like seeing the history on some of these. Interesting read sometimes...

9/17/13

EDIT: Looks like they found a way to lock us out. I'm gonna try and find a window around it now. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's funny. I ran the one VIN I have a photo of (my mom's '73 620) and it showed mostly OK, except that someone miskeyed the miles when it had its last emissions test in 1999. Milage went from 96,000 in 1994, to 99,000 in 1997, to 200,000 in 1999. It has like 102,000 on it at best. She's owned it since new.

My '78 620 4X4 comes up as invalid.

My '68 520, which has a typo in the VIN on the title (instead of L520 it is listed as 1520) actually comes up using the incorrect VIN. It comes up as a Volkswagen, but it shows the mileage reports and registration dates from my title transfer and tab renewals so it really is the vehicle history of my 520.

My Chevy is a bit inaccurate. It has the type correct (right down to being a Military truck, which it was), and has the title transfer and registrations right. But it has a glaring issue in the "Government Use" column, considering that one of the entries for 1997 was when it was LEASED from the US Forest Service to the Lincoln County Fire Protection District #8. That's... Government use. And I bought it directly from the Federal GSA. So it missed that one, even though it clearly had data on it.

The linked site didn't ask me for any money. Or name. Just put the VIN in the URL.

Well, I checked almost everything I have. The 320, the Roadster, my '79 Longbed, and BOTH of my Datsun 4X4s come up as invalid. Everything else came up with data. NONE show any hits except the '83 KC which shows "odometer in excess of mechanical limits" which wasn't true- it read true mileage when I titled it.

What I found out is that my DD '76 KC was reported as having 300,000 miles in 1996 and 332,000 in 1998. I bought it in '09 and the odometer read under 35,000, which matches the oil change tags on the windshield that read 134,000 for 1998. I thought it had 134,000. Guess that was 200,000 miles off. Well, looks like it has 403,000 on it now (I have since rolled the odometer over again). But can't trust those miles- it's whatever the owner reported when taking it through emissions.

This is bullshit! What site are you guys using I just got charged money and than they said vin is invalid!

What did you click on dude??

All you had to do was click my link in the first post and change the VIN in the URL to your VIN :confused:

FYI guys, that link won't be good forever, it's eventually gonna drop. Use the first two steps to generate another.

ran a few of mine through it works but only back to about 97 ,,,and it doesn't show any activity for a few i ran through that have been scrapped..

Yes i can positively say they were scrapped because they were put on the pile using a giant claw..

I ran four of my vehicles, a 1974 Ford F250, A 1996 Ford Aerostar, and two of my Datsun pickups. It mainly listed some but not all of the registration dates on the Datsuns, It did not list the year, country of origin, or engine in the Datsuns.

Autocheck probably used the standardized 17 digit VIN number to get some vehicle information, and accesses some DMV records. It might be that some states do not report DMV records to Autocheck.

I had the "invalid" come back on the first time I checked the Aerostar, but I had one number wrong, and the letters were lower case. Try putting all the letters of the VIN in upper case. (ALL CAPITALS) Not Yelling, just demonstrating.

Took me a little bit to get it through my thick cranium but I got it....LOL.....not much to see on my '74 pickup, I bought summer 2000 from the orig owner and they screwed up the mileage the last emissions inspection it had to go through two yrs later...lol.

http://www.fordofkirkland.com/autocheck.aspx?vin=PL620411476#section-vehicle-glossary

• 4 weeks later...

Every other dealer site I try through google the page either says, "Report Not FoundVIN is not valid for this dealer.", "Vehicle not present in inventory", or I get a MySQL database error... Enjoy the Ford of Kirkland one while you can :P

I ran my Camaro vin number just for the hell of it... Clean, one owner car :thumbup: :rofl:

Neat! Earliest records it shows on my 510 are from Jan 97. Only odometer reading is from when I got it and registered it on 08. God knows how many miles are on my car.

i dont think mine has d complete record. The earliest was 98 & the last was 2002 & theyre all "PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION".

Did they used to do emission on 74 vehicles?

This is bullsghit! What site are you guys using I just got charged money and than they said vin is invalid!

How d hell did you do that? You must've purchased yourself an autocheck for a month if it charged you.

I admit, I ran a few of my vehicles through this, and got results.

This is what I believe.

Newer vehicles with a standardized 17 digit it can get a lot of information on. Older vehicles, it cannot. For example, it does not know the age of two PL521 trucks I ran through it.

On older vehicles, it accesses some states DMV records.

For example, one Datsun truck shows one owner, and I bought it used. It had to have at least two owners.

The other Datsun truck, shows two owners, but no mention of it being in California. It was sold out of a San Diego dealership.

I am pretty sure this is not a free service. I do not know if the dealer you use to access has to pay a flat fee, or a per vehicle check fee.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...