'80 720 needs updating

datsunpickupboy

I recently bought a 720 King cab and quickly developed a love/hate thing with it. I love the size and shape, the visibilty it gives you when you're parking and..uh...uh...well, maybe that's about it.

The engine, even though it's just a little over 100K miles, gets about the same mpg for oil as it does for gas. And the valves sound like they're getting no oil at all. Also, now I remember why I hated carburetors.

I'd like to keep it as my driver and fix it up a little bit at a time. First I'd like to deal with the cosmetic stuff, and get the holes in the floors welded up. Then maybe see if I can figure out a cheap but acceptable way to fix up the dash pad (which is really really disgusting.)

But I'd like to upgrade the engine and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions about a good swap. Economy would be nice, but my standard isn't high. Right now it only gets about 21 or so and I think that's easy to match or beat. But if it could have just a little more power that would be nice too.

Also, it's manual steering and I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on putting power steering in it. Is it practical to try that?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It'd be easier finding a later model 720... they had power steering, naps z24 motor. which you can throw in a truck KA. bolts right to your stock trans, too.

If it were me id just fix w/e is wrong with it and drive the shit out of it and enjoy it. 21 isn't that bad, really..

Tighten up all the cam cover, water pump, and fuel pump bolts/nuts. That fixed alot of my oil usage. Probably need valves adjusted if they're that loud. Weber makes a great bolt on replacement carb if you got the cash (won't help economy much though)

I bought a 50$ plastic dash cap at jcwhitney and It looks awesome, carpet ones can be had for around 20$

I agree with Izzo though, swaps aren't cheap, or easy, especially if your on a timeline (that why I gave up on mine right now). Throw a tune up at it, I get about 23-24 in mine.

Just my thoughts...

Any power steering gear will bolt right up to the frame and connect to a power steering column, but you will have to fabricate a mount for the pump, I like the newer nissan sentra pumps, but the 720 pump will also work, as that is what I have in my 1980 720.

This sentra pump is a great compact pump.

DSCN1094.jpg

Mounted on the driverside.

DSCN0760.jpg

The bracket I made.

DSCN0740.jpg

I recently bought a 720 King cab and quickly developed a love/hate thing with it. I love the size and shape, the visibilty it gives you when you're parking and..uh...uh...well, maybe that's about it.

The engine, even though it's just a little over 100K miles, gets about the same mpg for oil as it does for gas. And the valves sound like they're getting no oil at all. Also, now I remember why I hated carburetors.

I'd like to keep it as my driver and fix it up a little bit at a time. First I'd like to deal with the cosmetic stuff, and get the holes in the floors welded up. Then maybe see if I can figure out a cheap but acceptable way to fix up the dash pad (which is really really disgusting.)

But I'd like to upgrade the engine and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions about a good swap. Economy would be nice, but my standard isn't high. Right now it only gets about 21 or so and I think that's easy to match or beat. But if it could have just a little more power that would be nice too.

Also, it's manual steering and I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on putting power steering in it. Is it practical to try that?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Adding power steering is easy. The hard part would be to find a donor vehicle that has all of the parts. Depending on ones abilities, The job should take no more than a few hours.

Adding power steering is easy. The hard part would be to find a donor vehicle that has all of the parts. Depending on ones abilities, The job should take no more than a few hours.

Rubbish!!!!

If you had a second 720 with all the PS stuff on it you couldn't. It would take that long to remove everything needed. The L20B never had PS so you would have to make something up to hold the pump and tension the belt.

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to swim in the 'do as little as possible' current. I appreciate all the ideas and thanks for posting the pictures too. But now that I'm thinking about it, I like the idea of using it for awhile with just fixing the worst stuff (good advice about tightening all the bolts) and get a later one when I get the chance. It's getting me around and 21 or so on gas really isn't terrible.

Again, thanks for the quick responses,

Girlyman Datsunboy

• Like 1