Tell me about the Nissan 3.3 supercharged engine

We are looking into adding an Xterra type vehicle to the family fleet. I've seen several with the supercharged engine, many have well over 100k miles. Is there a good reason to consider one or stay away from the forced intake version?

Thanks for opinions

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an n/a xterra with 4:11 air locker gear set, 6" lift etc... I decided against the supercharged model because the hp/tq gain to price/mileage ratio wasnt good enough. I thought about a 3.3 sc swap on my d21 before the X too but instead went with a 2ng gen z31 W motor and was way happier, anything was better then the vg30i lol.

Have towed 4k+ without any problems in the n/a x. It pulls hard with 4.11 gears too and I still get 21+mpg on the highway when I just hang out in 5th. What a great truck, nothing but love since the day I got it like 3 years ago. SC or NA get one and you'll be happy.

The SC motor has its place I guess. For me though owning a Z and dedicated that to speed its not worth it to me to have the mpg go to hell and purchase and maint prices go way up for the slight gain. Especially when the reg 3.3 already gets it done.

395228_10150574234028173_611048172_9164357_1367199295_n1-1.jpg

I'm not a fan of the pathys. While the 1st gen Xterra is built on the same strong platform the frontier the pathy has a weaker, softer suspension more like a car then a truck. Thats the same reason my old laredo got beat to hell too, suvs with bs suspension...

We have found an 04 Xterra, NA V-6 with 5 speed and under 60k, but the owner wants $10K for it. Other than that all of the 1st gen Xterra's are pushing well over 100k and I'm not wanting a project, just reliable transportation.

Royal Sierra, you are the 2nd person to tell me that the auto's are garbage, I was told 04-05, are those the one's or the entire 1st gen automatics?

Im at 140k on the bod and 60ish on the engine. The syncros in 1st are iffy sometimes but both are because the asshat PO was running nox shots. The evap is sending a code but it still runs problem free all in all. I need to do a lot of suspension work but that the nature of the beast.

10k is steep even with those super low miles. I think I would find a higher mileage 2nd gen if I was going to spend that much. I paid 4k for mine with 100k on it, already with most of the off road stuff on it. Cali spec too its got like 4 cats lol. I dont even have to cheat emissions here.

Try a pathfinder first imo..i got to drive a new exterra for a couple weeks and hated it. No offense to the guy above. The trans shifted slowly and it was gutless. There was no room front or rear even with my seat all the way back. Also I talked to a guy at a trans shop and he said it has to do with splines stripping out. Cant remember exactly on what but it is too common.

No offense taken, dif people like dif things. An acquaintance of mine was going to get the 2nd gen pathy but hated it and got the previous years with was the last of the 1st gen instead. I was actually looking for a pathy after the d21 until I started test driving them.

Not the exact same, but pretty much the same. I've got an '04 Frontier KC XE V6 4x4. Love the truck. I went with the auto since it has a higher towing capacity over the 5 speed, plus I lived/worked downtown and didn't want to deal with the 5-speed everyday. Truck is about to hit 100,000 (only 25,000 is mine). I love her, she tows great and rides good. Only reason we want to get rid of her is we need more room (looking Titan)