nissan hardbody frame vs nissan 720 frame

91b22

tried doin a little research on this but came up empty handed. Does any one know if the 1987ish Nissan Hardbodys frame is the same as the late modle 720? Just asking to see how easy it will be to take the V6 out of a hard body and throw it in the 720. Thanks in advance!

-Brad

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i was hoping th 86.5 hardbody frame would be close enough to the 86 720 frame so it would just drop right in. still thinking about doing the swap tho. something about a V6 in my 720 just sounds so damned appealing lol.

Hi, new here.

I have been watching for a while, but just joined to answer your question.

I am in Australia and have a custom Nissan 720 fitted with a Commodore 3.8 litre V6 (Buick style motor in the US) with 4 speed auto. I fitted Navara power steering to it and thats when I noticed the Navara has a larger hump in the frame over the front suspension than the 720 does. The power steering still fitted, but only 2 bolt holes line up and the chassis needs to be notched etc for the other 2. I don't know about over there, but here you need it engineered. The engineer told me the vented disc brakes are fine up to a 5.8 litre motor in Aus, but I didn't need the fuel bill with petrol prices so high over here.

If you fitting a V6 you will need to make new engine mounts and maybe move the gearbox cross member like I had to.

Using this motor and gearbox combo, I found the diesel diffs worked out the right ratio with 31's. I did have 29's at the beginning and it launched great off the line, but over reved down the free way.

I do have the whole build pictures which was done around 8 years ago, but I need to scan them onto my computer.

IM000733.jpg

img017Large.jpg

Dave

• Like 1

Nice truck man! Yeah I don't need to worry about oversized tires. I figured I was going to just get all the stuff I need for the swap and just go from there. I figured the new motor mounts were a must and the transmission cross member would be an issues.

Hey Dave, Are the crew cab (4 doors) 720's common down under?? How much do they usually cost over there? I'd like to get one shipped to the states.

You see them come up on ebay AU every once in a while, I wouldn't call them common over there, but there are a lot more of them over there than here. :lol:

Here are a couple for sale now on ebay au.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/85-Nissan-720-Dual-Cab-Diesel-4WD-/261109581084?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item3ccb58051c

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Datsun-720-4x4-crewcab-pre-navara-/120996139379?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item1c2bee9173

Nice truck man! Yeah I don't need to worry about oversized tires. I figured I was going to just get all the stuff I need for the swap and just go from there. I figured the new motor mounts were a must and the transmission cross member would be an issues.

Thanks, it was 3 1/2 years work and finished about 7-8 years ago.

Sounds like you know what you need to do. Just make sure you keep the motor centered by measuring from the crankshaft pulley to each side frame, and the same for the gearbox.

The gearbox cross member is not held on by much, so no real issue moving it backward or forward. If this is a 4wd 720 you will probably need to shorten or mod the tail shaft, I did mine in my workshop and it ended up 100mm long instead of 200mm long. I took it for balancing after woods, but the guy told me it was spot on as it was, so no cost. If your doing the tail shaft yourself, just make sure you line up the uni's before welding.

With the tires, you can play with sizes when your done to get the right ratio.

Dave

Hey Dave, Are the crew cab (4 doors) 720's common down under?? How much do they usually cost over there? I'd like to get one shipped to the states.

Hi,

I would say the dual cabs are common here, maybe even just as common than the single cab. The king cabs are a bit harder to come by and still bring good prices because of the mini truck market over here. The dual cabs are not really up there in the mini trucks.

As far as price anything from around $500 to $3000 plus. I have picked up a few for spares when I was building this one, but the latest was around 5 years ago and I picked up one without a motor for spares for $300 with no to bad of a body. You would be better off with a 2wd dual cab as they haven't been on the beach and rusted to bad like the 4wd ones have.

Mine was a 2wd when it started out, then I switched the body onto the 4wd chassis as everything fits the same. I kept the 2wd doors with no quarter windows in the front doors as I like them better, and it is also no so expensive to replace all the rubbers when I replaced them all.

img04120Large.jpg

It's funny you looking down here to buy one, where I buy a lot of gear from over in the US for my truck. I am still chasing a few chrome grills (a couple for spares) and even though it's free postage they will not send them here. I have to go through a second agent and have them sent there, which then costs a fortune to post them here from these guys.

Dave

• Like 1