Newbie introducing himself

glorydime

my_datsun_002-2.jpgmy_datsun_004-1.jpgmy_datsun_005.jpgmy_datsun_006.jpgI just recently started reading this great site and decided to join up. I bought my lil dotty around three years ago, off a rancher out side of fort worth TX. The truck has literally given me almost no issues, I plan on lowering her a little, but keeping the engine very stock. Why improve something that seems perfect. The only issue I have had with this truck is that recently coming out of first the truck shakes ALOT right about when the clutch disengages. No biggie though I'll figure it out hopefully. here is a few photos of when I bought the Datsun and I'll upload some current ones soon. I have really done nothing except take off the rack the original owner had over the cab and all of the diamond plating he had everywhere. Ohh and I just finished putting the stock tailights in which the original owner was running what i think were caprice lights.

my_datsun_001-1.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Naw it was red originally, but I think there was a factory color close to this "sea foam" green. The color is cool, but the paint job it self is really poor. The interior as you can tell is still red along with all of the door jams. Man you guys are great on here, I am also a record collector along with car tinkerier. No one ever replies this fast on record message boards. :thumbup:

Wow great first post with pics. Nice looking truck clean and straight. You have the same tach as I do and the same cup holder. Hehe. How about a engine bay pic? If you could take one of those floor mats out and just take a pic of the whole thing I'd be interested in knowing if they've been cut down or if they have a brand name at all.

Welcome to Ratsun friend. :thumbup:

alright, here is some more quikie shots including the engine bay and the up close of the floor mat. I don't collect 80s at all, Im a 50s and 60s collector mainly 45s, anyways back to this green lady here. Here is a photo of the floor mats, I also included some photos of what she looks like today with the stock tailights and the rack off and all of the diamond plating off. The tail gate has some rust through but I think it adds a little character at least for now.

image-1.jpeg

image-2.jpeg

image-3.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

can anyone give me some advice for lowering her a little, I would love to put airbags in but dont have the money right now. I dont want to go too low but she is too high right now and would look great dropped a bit. Thoughts feedback or let me know problems or successes yall have had.

Michael

just unscrew the square bolts on the torsion bars. look in center you see the bolts. Loosen the jam nut then turn bolt out. I think there is 2 nuts so go far as you can but keep the nuts on the threads.

do this in a safe manner. also you might want to remove the rubber bump stop buy the shock. it think its just a 12 or 14mm nut or bolt.

the rear I buy Belltech blocks.

if you lower the front record the difference.

But I got 3 inch 2 deg rake for the rear part number is 6202 i belive. it helps relive the stress on the carrier bearing.

Maening it help point the drive shaft down, so put it in right.

PS why you gwt rid of the whit walls It look better with them More period correct!!!!!!!!hopefully you didnt paint them black!

INsteas of getitng airbags lets clean up the engine bay and save up of a electronic ignition unless your got at trouble shooting points on the side of the road.

Get soem good at least crafts man tools and brake wrench set ,timming light ect......New clean baterry hold doown and new red/blk batt cables

Buy spare brake, clutch and slave cylinder and wheels cylinder when possible. when they go they go and no parts stores have them locally esp in texas. Rockauto.com 2 of each would be better as the new taiwan ones dont last. Buy jap if you can find them $$$$

I will just lower with blocks, airbag is too much. I am planning on going with the electric ignition as soon as this one goes out. I have replaced the points once and she has been running perfect ever since. Why fix her is if she aint broke yet :angel: . I have had to replace the slave cylinder right when I bought the truck, but I was able to find the parts at car quest.

The rust under the diamond was a disappointment but ill tend to it in due time. So glad to see that lowering this truck is an easy job that will increase the look ten fold. I wanted to keep the white walls and will go back to them eventually, however when I purchased these I was trying to save money and a friend had the black walls barely used so I took them for free.

carquest has the better stuff so far that I have seen. However its a cut throat market and soon enought I bet they start getting cheap parts.

the Belltech brand blocks fit perfect just to let you know.

point distributor over time will become bad news. the bushing wear, xauses the point to fire whn you dont want to and the condensore also.

Remeber to keep the stock coil with points ,do not buy a GOFASTER BLING coils of the wrong resisitance. Those fry point before you get down the block!!!!!!!!seen to many kids do this

thanks man, you recommend any certain electric route as in brand? or any other advice on that realm, being that the lowering will be so cheap I will have the money to go electric sooner than I thought. :rofl: I am not looking to hot rod at all, I find the stock set up of this truck just fine, I have a ford with a small block in it to worry about power, not this little dude. I just want it lowered and running like a top every day. Thanks for all the advice.

So my choke has always been a bit of an issue, the man I bought the truck from put an aftermarket one on that wasnt really correct for this truck. It always sticks and has caused me problems since I got this truck. I wanted some advise, I assume my truck had a manual choke originally and I would like to keep it that way. Where is the best place to snag a choke for this truck? parts stores dont have anything that seems to work? any help would be great even some info would be amazing.

late 71/72 521 do have eleltric choke on the stock carbs.

I persoannly adjusted one way back when and it never really works right after that. It either stayed on too long or not long enough.

They make a little plastic cap for a pull cable choke( Manual).just wrap it around the pull lever and that will control the choke. I assume youll pull the heater coil out of it. you see it at sa parts store. ck ask some body thats good about a manual pull choke adapter cable set up.