New Owner Need Help please

DanMan

Im pretty sure its an L20b but when i look near the #4 spark plug i dont see any engine info.

Look behind the dip stick just below the head where it meets the block. It's the flat area in the picture below. Use wire brush for rust.

LseriesID-1.jpg

I didnt change the points, just the rotor .....

The '76 California 620 should have an electronic ignition without points.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok sounds good.

your a mighty quick replier and extremely helpful, thanks datsun mechanic

I am actually "wayno", datsun mechanic is a generic banner that is given for reasons that are unknown to me, as you have "newbie" above your generic avatar which is what you are until it is determined you will be something else.

I am sure you will find a way to get your engine to TDC, lets just hope it is the one you need, as the cam rotates once for every two turns of the crank.

Did you ever verify if you have spark? Cause all this playing around with firing order wont mean much without spark. Even with the firing order being off it will still do something if the engine has fuel, air and spark. So dont jump too far ahead, back to the smoke thats not a great sign distributors are not supposed to smoke. This truck would not have points correct? It would be some kind of early electronic ignition like a 710? Someone correct me if I am wrong. Have you cranked the engine with the coil wire out of the coil and see if you have spark at the coil?

OK haha got it, the name is wayno!!

YA there is spark- i tested it from the distributor near ground and there was definite spark

As far as the points go- i didnt touch anything in the distributor besides the rotor. Looked too confusing for me just reading it in the maual so not sure if its points or something else.

Thanks for the pic King Rat but even in that pic i dont see the engine # an that is exactly how mine looks with alot more grease and dirt around it haha

So much info in this picture.

IMG_4466_zps9dbddaa0.jpg

The coil has a ballast resistor next to it. That would lead me to thinking is is a points distributor.

Number one spark plug wire is coming across the front of the engine, and connected to the distributor cap closest to the radiator.

IMG_4466_zps9dbddaa0.jpg

The coil has a ballast resistor next to it. That would lead me to thinking is is a points distributor.

Number one spark plug wire is coming across the front of the engine, and connected to the distributor cap closest to the radiator.

Yea I noticed this also, it is wired like an L16 might be wired spark plug wise.

This issue needs to be remedied by turning the engine to TDC and setting it up properly, any other way will be a shot in the dark.

IMG_4466_zps9dbddaa0.jpg

A compelling argument, Daniel. I suppose the transistor ignition for the California motors may not be high voltage and simply be 'breakerless"? lol. The dizzy for this California EI is like the later '78 remote igniter but the remote box is finned. Still learning about them. Yes, probably points.

Thanks for the pic King Rat but even in that pic i dont see the engine # an that is exactly how mine looks with alot more grease and dirt around it haha

enginenumberL20B002Large-1.jpg

Just move # 1 wire where it is now move to to # 4 position.

and then reassign 3 4 2 counter clock wise. fire order. take photos and try to start it.

you really need to learn about Datsuns FASTas if your not that mech inclined thisa is not the rig for you.

These things are comming to 40yrs old. things break ALOT and just wear out.

as for turning the crank. just unplug the center coil wire. hit the starter till you see the lobe close to about 9 oclock thru the oil cap hole. if you can use your hand to spin the crank pully clockwise. to get lobe to the 10 oclock position but no matter ,look where the rotor is pointing. If its pointing the total oppisite way its obvios you have it 180deg off. if its close to the #1 wire then the fire order is most likely correct.

Did you try what datzenmike suggested?

Did you try what hainz suggested above?

You really need to get it to TDC, it's just the easiest way to get it right the first time and not worry about it being flooded and not hitting and then going past the correct configuration.

Haniz, I know what you are saying, but we are talking about things that you and I take for granted that this guy doesn't even know, if he removes the valve cover and sees the lobes, then keeps hitting the starter till the lobes are close, then he won't pass the TDC we are looking for, he could also do it with the rotor, but we don't know what he has, L16?, L20b?, number 1 position is differant on the cap on them two engines.

Sure he can start moving the wires around one by one, but if it is flooded, he will be screwed, because it won't start flooded.

I suggest it be done so there is no question that it is set up correctly, TDC, lobes at 10am and 2pm, rotor at 4pm(L20b), firing order 1, 3, 4, 2 counter clockwise, it will fire if it was running before as long as nothing else was changed.

"OK so ive tried every which way to move the engine to TDC.

That thing is tough. Doesn't budge an inch.

Any other advice or tips for getting it to TDC??

Im trying to stay postive but im thinking maybe im in over my head here"

You are not in over your head, you are just on the steep part of the learning curve.

If the engine does not want to turn, is it in gear? Make sure it is in neutral. Remove the spark plugs, all four of them.

Make sure the key is off! Try to grab the plastic fan, and turn it clockwise. If the belt slips, tighten up the belt by loosening the top bolt on the alternator, and using a crowbar, pry the alternator away from the engine a little, and while holding the alternator away, tighten up the top alternator bolt again. Now turn the fan again. Watch for the timing marks to come together. When the one big mark meets the pointer, stop.

Look into the oil cap hole, and see if the camshaft lobes for the front cylinder are at about 10:00 and 2:00. If you are not sure, remove the cam cover, and look at the front cylinder, and the back cylinder. One set of lobes will be up, and one set of lobes will be down. If the back set of lobes is up, turn the engine 360 crankshaft degrees again.

Take a little bit of oil, or spark plug anti seize and put it on the spark plug threads. Put all four spark plugs back in the engine.

Now, take the distributor cap off the distributor. Mark where the rotor is pointing on the side of the distributor. Put the cap back on. the tower by the mark you made is number one tower. The spark plug wire goes from that tower to number one spark plug. Going counter clockwise around the distributor cap, 1, 3, 4, 2.

Now the engine should run.

Thanks for the detailed instructions DanC. the positivity is awesome!!!

i just have a question-

the plastic fan is the one behind the radiator? It spins freely without any resistance but doesn't move any belts. Is that normal?

I can feel im getting close

Im determined to get this so ill try again in the morning tomorrow before work

Twistin' the fan ain't gonna do it, he has a clutch fan.

On the crank pulley, can you see any white marks or slots up near where the belt rides, Dan? Have ya found the timing tab on your front cover??

Maybe pull the valve cover and (with the plugs out) rotate the engine up to TDC using a socket on the cam drive.

You are close Dan!!

Well its runnin now.....but i had someone come out and check it for me haha

Thanks for all the help everyone!!!!

Really an awesome forum with very informative and friendly people

Got a few more things to fix so i may be posting a bit more :) but i will be more careful next time

Thanks again