Jay Leno goes to Japan to talk about a possible new FairladyZ!

72240z

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully a retro 70's look with competition for the FR-86.

I really think a modern inline-6 2.4 would be a great simple design to make a new great sports chassis.

@JoeCool, it seems once nissan introduced the turbo Z in 81, and then higher powered Z31 and Z32, they where focusing more on super sports performance, rather than fun and affordability.

Ya affordability was on the back burner once they saw they could really compete on the street and track with world leaders. I pray for an inline 6 but I think the odds are slim to none. Nissan doesnt even use them anymore do they? I would bet on a small v6, or i4 n/a or T. I think v6 isnt even as likely if they are trying to distance the model from the current z line up. If they make a cheap v6 z all they will be doing is undercutting themselves.

Its an easy task for nissan. Take a modern s series chassis, make it look like a s30 only retro and price it under 25k lol. Done.

Meh..... here's the problem.

240Z = 2.4

260Z = 2.6

280Z = 2.8

300ZX=3.0

350Z = 3.5

370Z = 3.7

If they dropped the displacement, IMO it would just kill the car to me. For so long it's been a progressive thing. I think a high revving, 4.0L V8 would be great. But that right there kills affordability.

The Nissan Patrol which is only in the middle east I believe has a 5 or 6 liter straight six that makes a ton of power, I think a lightweight straight six powered affordable version of a new Z would be great to compete with the FRS/BRZ, but most likely wouldn't happen since they most likely sell enough of the 370z.

It's a 4.8 L6 but they make stroker kits to 5.2 apparently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDm6sqrw4h0&feature=related

Meh..... here's the problem.

240Z = 2.4

260Z = 2.6

280Z = 2.8

300ZX=3.0

350Z = 3.5

370Z = 3.7

If they dropped the displacement, IMO it would just kill the car to me. For so long it's been a progressive thing. I think a high revving, 4.0L V8 would be great. But that right there kills affordability.

Check the car weights. They need a 3.7 to haul that pig around. Going to be hard to design a car that can be run on the streets today.

I think some of you guys may be missing the point. v8? lol really? The whole idea is going back to their roots in celebration of their anniversary, as they say in the video. It wouldnt be rocket science for them to put a 2.4 inline 4 into a light simple chassis call it a 240z price it under 25k to compete with the already extremely successful frs, mx5, genesis etc.... sit back and count the money.

Think about how popular a 2.4 kade 240sx grocery getter became here. Stock its got nearly the same 0-60, 1/4, 2 passenger curb weight and after inflation the same affordability as the 240z. Its like they already did it by accident 20 years ago.

Like Mike said wouldnt hold my breath or place bets. After the 350z abortion anything is possible from them. It gives me hope though.....

They will most likely use an engine that is already available in a different vehicle, rather than make a brand new model. Although, many car companies are partnering up now to build a unique car. Scion and Subaru, Mazda and Alpha Romeo. Perhaps Nissan will partner up with a company and use someone else's engine design in a nissan chassis. Probably not, but that would open up the options quite a bit.

Talk is cheap and gets you in print or on the news. Any publicity is good publicity. Remember that story about reviving the Datsun name??? and how it was a waste of time? What about that Nissan aerodynamic race car that was half the weight half the hp??? Yeah what ever happened to that????

Beware what you wish for or you'll end uop with an HL510 type Fairlady. I don't think you could build one today, things have changed too much. You would have to pass a crash test, crumple zones, probably anti lock brakes, air bags, tons of electronics/EFI, emissions... stuff I haven't thought of.... and it all adds weight. Good luck coming in under 3,000 pounds. Then it has to appeal to the widest market so it ends up watered down. No one knows about the Fairlady today, it's ancient history. Young people want new.

Talk is cheap and gets you in print or on the news. Any publicity is good publicity. Remember that story about reviving the Datsun name??? and how it was a waste of time? What about that Nissan aerodynamic race car that was half the weight half the hp??? Yeah what ever happened to that????

Beware what you wish for or you'll end uop with an HL510 type Fairlady. I don't think you could build one today, things have changed too much. You would have to pass a crash test, crumple zones, probably anti lock brakes, air bags, tons of electronics/EFI, emissions... stuff I haven't thought of.... and it all adds weight. Good luck coming in under 3,000 pounds. Then it has to appeal to the widest market so it ends up watered down. No one knows about the Fairlady today, it's ancient history. Young people want new.

I agree. There is a chance Nissan could get it right. But I wouldn't count on it. They will design something, then once it gets though all the safety and smog stuff it's either going to be a different car or cost $40k. It's a cool thought however.

I love straight sixes. Had several BMW 3 series with them and my DD Cherokee has one. V6's aren't as smooth and torquey but they are lighter, smaller, cheaper to build and still can be very impressive so there is no going back. Toyota sure did some great things with them though.

As far as light we require and expect to much from a car for them to ever be light again (I love the Ariel Atom but don't consider it a real car). The Canadian's make some two seater side by side three wheel vehicles that I believe are regulated as motorcycles. I think that is where the future of light sports cars is.

I usually can't afford anything until it is 10+ yrs old so I don't get to excited about new cars but wish Nissan the best.

Scion FR-S curb weight is 2,758 LBS according to the scion website. Its a 2+2 with a 4cyl RWD 6 spd, AC, air bags, ect... A similar chassis Honda S2000 is rated at 2,864 lb.

Compare to the 240z at 2,355 lb, 260z at 2,450 lb, 280z at 2,875 lb and 280zx at 2,824 lb ... the FRS is lighter than the late model S30 and S130, with all the modern equipment and regulation stuff.

IMO it should be easy for nissan to make a competitive chassis within similar weight limits.

Scion FR-S curb weight is 2,758 LBS according to the scion website. Its a 2+2 with a 4cyl RWD 6 spd, AC, air bags, ect... A similar chassis Honda S2000 is rated at 2,864 lb.

Compare to the 240z at 2,355 lb, 260z at 2,450 lb, 280z at 2,875 lb and 280zx at 2,824 lb ... the FRS is lighter than the late model S30 and S130, with all the modern equipment and regulation stuff.

IMO it should be easy for nissan to make a competitive chassis within similar weight limits.

Absolutely, its not a question of if they can, they and other manufacturers already did numerous times. The issues as I see it is will Renault let them do it that way and if they do can they use the kiss method and leave it affordable.

Who wants it to be the same? I dont. It could be better..... s30 is an icon but its far from perfect.

My personal hopes only get as high as wanting to see a revival of the car AND market lol. I would never buy a new car....unless I hit the lotto or something.