620 Tranny info wanted

559_620

I am new to the 620 trucks been wanting one for a while but had been working on a 2000 single cab chevy. I now have a 73 620 with the manual tranny that needs a clutch. The truck also needed a fender repaired and while looking for it I found a 77 KC 620 with an automatic so Im wondering If it would be practical for me to swap the trannies put the auto in the 73. Would I have more/less power, would I have any drive line issues. Thanks in advance I am a noob to these trucks.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than the expense of a new clutch, it would be easiest to pull the transmission to replace it. With a complete '77 for all the parts you would need, it could be done. The rad w/coolant lines to the transmission, the automatic transmission itself w/torque converter, the drive plate (do not forget the small adapter/spacer plate on the end of the crank!), you may need the drive shaft if the KC is different length than the '73 you have, floor shift and linkage, vacuum line from trans to the source for the power brake booster.

I seriously doubt you will have more power, it will seem sluggish... at ALL times I'm afraid. Would rather have a standard but have driven many makes of automatics and understand their advantages and shortcomings. I even have an L4N71B that I might like to try on a larger Z24 engine with a low 3.90/3.70? rear end. I wonder what cruise would be like when I switch the locking torque converter to ON.