Japans online Auto sale

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I live here in japan. Goo-net is cool, they have an android app too but its all in nihongo kanji stuffs. they have english on their site, but in order to check out some of them your japanese must be pretty good. most places dont have an english speaker there.

also, in general i would say that the classics are mostly good 10ft cars, up close you will find some horrorshow rust repairs. one shop that is on there that flex auto review, i went to it in yokohama a little subway ride from my apartment. the old skylines looked good, but upon further inspection were terrible basket cases covered up with packed in bondo. we are talking the bottom of the door and body below the door stuffed with filler and bondo, the trunk was made of fiberglass because the original had rusted away. it looked like a spare tire would fall through the floorboard of the trunk.

not all shops are like this, but i believe that many believe that the look is more important than the function and how safe or solid the cars are.

IMHO

I live here in japan. Goo-net is cool, they have an android app too but its all in nihongo kanji stuffs. they have english on their site, but in order to check out some of them your japanese must be pretty good. most places dont have an english speaker there.

also, in general i would say that the classics are mostly good 10ft cars, up close you will find some horrorshow rust repairs. one shop that is on there that flex auto review, i went to it in yokohama a little subway ride from my apartment. the old skylines looked good, but upon further inspection were terrible basket cases covered up with packed in bondo. we are talking the bottom of the door and body below the door stuffed with filler and bondo, the trunk was made of fiberglass because the original had rusted away. it looked like a spare tire would fall through the floorboard of the trunk.

not all shops are like this, but i believe that many believe that the look is more important than the function and how safe or solid the cars are.

IMHO

Dude you should offer a service where you go and check out cars for people they are interested in having exported make some cash check out some cars doesn't sound like a bad gig to me... They have some awesome stuff on that site. but i would have a hard time paying for a car like that w/o seeing it in person.. or at least having someone who can check it out and give you a honest unbiased opinion..

i think the market for actual interest (money available + interest) is very small. then when you factor in the fee to transport a car back to the US it is very high, costly.

maybe more money in sourcing used/rare performance parts from UpGarage. I dont have a car though, just a motorcycle, so getting parts then getting them shipped is kinda a pia. my japanese is poor so searching the site for up garage to find whatever im looking for and which location it is at sucks too.

apparently they have autobacs used store like up garage but im unsure where it is.

http://importmonster.com.au is an Australian company that acts as a middleman for non-Japanese buyers. Based in victoria, but they'll ship anywhere. Shipping is ridiculous, but the prices you can get parts on yahoo auctions Japan offsets the cost of shipping.

I priced out a few sets of cool old school truck wheels, and after fees and shipping, average costs were around $1100 to $1500. Not bad for a set of wheels that you otherwise couldn't get here in the west. You can bid on cars, of course, but import, EPA, customs would most like be a pain in the ass.

Importing an engine was sort of frustrating till I started ignoring everyone that stuck out there hands for money, it was actually amazing how many were sticking out there hands, saying it needed to be paid before it went any further.

What needs to be done is have the whole shipping cost paid at the starting point, say leaving Japan for LA, then after it gets to LA, make sure they understand that you want it delivered to portland OR, and pay for it before you it leaves Japan, or in my case australia.

I had all sorts of people asking for money, saying I needed to pay truck box cleaning fees, and all these other fees, they had a freaking list, instead of arguing with them, I just told them I had paid for delivery to portland oregon, and let me know when it gets there and hung up, I had to pay customs, and a local forklift fee, that was it.

This was a couple years ago, but recently I had the shipping company calling me asking if I needed anything shipped, and they would give me reasonable prices, that no one else was going to beat, but I had nothing I needed shipped. :( :crying:

It sounded like they were looking to fill up containers/ships to me.

It cost me under a thousand dollars to buy and ship a diesel engine/trans. from brisbane AU to portland OR, including customs and local forklift fee.