Curious what type of oil everyone is using

DREWSDIME

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last oil change I did I used Redline 10w 30 with a Baldwin... That was at 269k... I'm now almost at 278k..... Shit still looks/smells good :thumbup:

But I did buy some Mobil 1 synthetic of the same viscosity yesterday, K&N filter... Oil change scheduled for tomorrow morning

• 8 months later...
  • 8 years later...

Hey guys.  New to the forum and excited to be here.  I just recently purchased a nice 1984 720 with 92k and a rebuilt motor.  The cool thing is that I'm the second owner.  Anyhow, the motor only had 150 miles on it when I purchased so I'm approaching this subject of oil with much caution. 

The last post here was 2013 and a lot of things have changed and one of those things is oil.  The only oil I can find on the shelf with ZDDP is Valvoline VR1 20w50.  I cannot find the suggest oils (Rotella T 15w40 or Delo 400 w/zinc) on the shelves.  So my next option would be using the mfg recommended oil weight (5w30, 10w40 or 10w30 depending on temps) with a ZDDP additive.  Any guidance or opinions would be great!

I've found it difficult to get accurate/concrete facts about the amount of ZDDP in oils. ZDDP was removed because it ruins catalytic converters and can cause cat failures before OEM emissions warranties (100k?) expired. 

I would look for an explicit claim of ZDDP levels, or use an additive. I don't trust that some of the previous oils that used to have sufficient ZDDP still do.

Never use anything with a 5 weight. The 'weight' is based on the lowest average temperature you expect before the next oil change. 10w30 is good to just below freezing. A few days at -5 won't harm anything.

On 1/7/2022 at 6:56 AM, Edward Stills said:

The last post here was 2013 and a lot of things have changed and one of those things is oil.  The only oil I can find on the shelf with ZDDP is Valvoline VR1 20w50.  I cannot find the suggest oils (Rotella T 15w40 or Delo 400 w/zinc) on the shelves.  So my next option would be using the mfg recommended oil weight (5w30, 10w40 or 10w30 depending on temps) with a ZDDP additive.  Any guidance or opinions would be great!

There must be diesel trucks in SC, impossible that there are not. They all need oil so ask them where Shell Rotella T4 is sold or try a Shell service station. Chevron Delo 400 is same, try Chevron station, Esso also makes one can't remember name. Any after market 'racing oil' such as made by Valvoline and others will also do. Go to the counterman and ask for an oil with high ZDDP for your 'flat tappet' chev/ford/dodge circle track car. He'll now what you need and want.