Headgasket. Copper coat or No copper coat.

Dat Lurka

8 members have voted

1. 1. Coppercoat the head gasket?

• Yes!
    • No!

Good stuff, its more for peace of mind. If block and head r machined it isnt needed. Can also help hold gaskets in place during assembly. Im all for preventing problems, cheaper than another head gasket a week later. Actually reused week old hg with this stuff,100k miles and good to go another 100k

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just replaced my HG this past weekend. It had some imperfections on both the block and head. nothing major, just tiny bits of pitty and scratches.

I used copper coat on both sides of the head gasket... 

Started right up and ran better than ever and i've already put 200 miles on it with no issue. 

Moral of the story: if you have 2 perfect surfaces, dont bother using it. If you need to fill (minor) gaps in the surface, use a bit. If you've got major damage and you're cheap, slather it in copper coat but dont ever expect to get them apart again lol

Expect the gasket to come right off if you used K&W Copper Coat Gasket Compound.

If you use some other copper coat, maybe its not so good.

If you want to simplify coppercoating, drop a margerine "tub" into each bore, spray, remove tubs and position the gasket.  Return margerine tubs to bore, respray, remove the tubs, then don't drop the head on the floor as you place it into position.