Had a 79 620 king cab 18 yrs ago, looking for another one...

BarryA

and climbing the learning curve.

If I'm making the correct assumptions from reading the various brake & suspension threads, the change-over from front drums to discs between the 1977 & 1978 model years also included a front suspension system change from king pins to ball joints, and the two suspension systems are essentially 100% non-interchangeable, correct?

Since I'm in shopping mode at this point, it's a critical distinction, as I'd really prefer to start out with discs (and a ball joint front end) rather than have to go into major modifications almost immediately following a purchase.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you seem to have understood it all correctly. 78 and 79 both got disc brakes. Yes they stop better, when they are working good. Even this 78/79 system needs upgrading in my opinion. Yes the system are basically not interchangeable, however it is possible to adapt parts of the later truck to the earlier truck with the addition of some custom parts also.

You are in california though. Dont you have to smog test those years? How about a 74 or 73 that does not need smog checked? Cant get a king cab in those years though.

OH, and welcome to the forum.

Jason

that's the direction I'd be headed, but since they're not, I'll deal with the smog issues. Never had any problems getting the 79 I had before smogged, and as long as I can find one with all the emissions stuff intact, it still shouldn't be a problem.

I prefer the king cab's proportions to start with, and at 6'1" & 200+ lbs, I like having the additional stretch-out room.

Thanks for the verification - I won't turn down a really nice, original 77, but all things being equal, I think a 78/79 is going to work better for my purposes.....

Good luck finding one with emissions still hooked up correctly . I feel your pain I wish that the king cabs were available in those pre smog years . I am 6'5" and 200+ lbs also and still fit in a regular cab albeit when I sit up straight my head is up in the headliner . I am planning on putting a grant wheel and some buckets to free up some space . Still won't be able to stretch out though . :(