Looking for '65 L320 parts

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Wayno,

My '65 doesn't have a motor/trans. Also, the fenders need to be replaced, bed front is bowed forward, doors need attention, brakes are near original in condition..... you get the idea.

I am thinking that someone might have a donor vehicle or a bunch of parts leftover from a re-do....... or maybe a handful of bits and pieces. I had tried to sell the whole truck - but have decided that this orphan needs to be put back on the road. Got frustrated with all the low ball responses so my 'plan' has changed. Actually have seen an ad for a J13 motor/trans within 100 miles of me, but don't know if that would be a good choice for transplanting.I seem to be about as far away as i could be from a Datsun parts supply.

Hope this is a little more than my earlier post....... just seem to need 'everything' at this point...

Hi Wayno,

My '65 doesn't have a motor/trans. Also, the fenders need to be replaced, bed front is bowed forward, doors need attention, brakes are near original in condition..... you get the idea.

I am thinking that someone might have a donor vehicle or a bunch of parts leftover from a re-do....... or maybe a handful of bits and pieces. I had tried to sell the whole truck - but have decided that this orphan needs to be put back on the road. Got frustrated with all the low ball responses so my 'plan' has changed. Actually have seen an ad for a J13 motor/trans within 100 miles of me, but don't know if that would be a good choice for transplanting.I seem to be about as far away as i could be from a Datsun parts supply.

Hope this is a little more than my earlier post....... just seem to need 'everything' at this point...

If the J13/tranny is available, I would jump on it if it is good and runs, you will also need the complete engine mount hardware from the frame to the engine(it unbolts from the frame), and the tranny mount hardware(it also unbolts from the frame), otherwise you are going to have to make it all as the E1 and J13 mounts are at differant angles.

If you get all the hardware I mentioned above, it will bolt in to your truck as far as I know.

At this point I can't see shipping an engine/tranny across the country, the 210/b210 A series(specifically the A14/15 block) engines will also fit into your truck and give you more power, better mileage, parts availability, and it is likely you might have them for sale over there, if you were to buy a totally rusted out car, you could transfer everything to your truck, including the wiring harness if you want, I have done this swap, and since you have the 65 L320, you can actually use your 65 wiring harness, as it is a negative ground truck, I used my 65 wiring harness also, but when I do it again, I will use the 210 wiring harness.

You would have to make your engine and tranny mounts to install the A series engine/tranny, you would also need to change the stock 320 idler are out for a modern 521 idler arm, but this also bolts right in like it is stock.

The box is going to be an issue for you, if it isn't rusted out, I would bend it(the front piece) back using pieces of heavy metal square tubes/channel by sandwiching them together from the outside and inside by squeezing them together, if I had to I would drill holes in the box so I could put a few long bolts threw the metal on both sides and tighten then together till it held the metal straight, and then I would leave it like that for a while till it takes a set(month or more), otherwise I would find a old chevy stepside truck and cut the box to fit the truck, and then cut the fenders to make them look size correct.

Sort of like this, but these fenders are wrong.

IMG00375-20100925-1608-1.jpg

See the stepside 320 in the back, I will look for better photos of it.

08082010781.jpg

Here it is, but it is a theme truck.

08082010796.jpg

Here is a link to a bunch of photos of it at another site.

http://rides.minitruckinweb.com/ride/1001674/dat-o-lantern/1964/datsun/pickup/index.html

He cut the 47-53 chevy truck fenders to make them smaller, more size appropriate, and then welded them back together.

Take a look at the link and tell me what you think, I have to ,leave the house for a while and will be back in an hour or two.

Hi,

Here is the link to my '65.........

http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/lylesphotobucket/My%201965%20Datsun%20L320/

The bed (other than the front) isn't too bad. Ironically, I have several stepside beds that could be converted. I don't plan on a concours style resto. A theme truck or rat rod isn't out of the question. I plan on repairing / replacing rusty or dented tin and the powerplant issue remains. I had an A15 w trans (pix in album) but sold it :confused: ......... The J13 is running & has less than 40K original. As you can see, a lot to ponder......

Was the A15 in it, and you removed it?

I would have used the A series, to bad it's gone. :(

Your truck may be a 65, but it originally had a 4 speed on the column, as that is the dash/instrument cluster that is in it anyway.

You also have the early 65 grill/turn signals.

That bed front is beat, at least on the passenger side it is, not sure how easy it will be to fix that.

101811pix013_zpsdd57d83d.jpg

This is a late 620 wheel/rim.

IMG00813-20111125-1528_zps12fe80b9.jpg

Good stuff Wayno, I appreciate the input. Had to raise some cash at the time, so I sold the A15 to a racer in Mass and sold/shipped the 5spd to a resto company in Calif. I have the opportunity to buy a starts/runs/drives 320 in New England for $2,500 & I'm wondering if this is a better option. Then part out MY 320s useable parts to help fund the purchase, especially considering it seems to have been 'cobbled together'.

Good stuff Wayno, I appreciate the input. Had to raise some cash at the time, so I sold the A15 to a racer in Mass and sold/shipped the 5spd to a resto company in Calif. I have the opportunity to buy a starts/runs/drives 320 in New England for $2,500 & I'm wondering if this is a better option. Then part out MY 320s useable parts to help fund the purchase, especially considering it seems to have been 'cobbled together'.

Fact is if you can buy a decent 1963-65 L320 that starts, runs, and drives, and you just have to have one, get it fast and drive away with a big smile on your face.

If it is a rust bucket, I would run away.

$2500.00 is a lot of money for an L320 unless it looks good, good meaning you don't have to put any substantial money into it at all, if the windshield is broke, offer $500.00 less, as that is what it will likely cost to replace it minimum, unless you can find a decent used one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.