Has anybody attempted this...?

zerow

I have my L20B resting comfortably in the parts car, which is without a transmission.

My Question: Has anybody ran a motor without a transmission attached to it? I have a spare auto trans bellhousing to hold the starter. And I need to bolt on the flexplate (so starter can go). I have SUs, I want to do the final tuning on them and an electronic distributor to get installed.

The reason why I ask is I have always run an engine attached to the trans, and I guess its my mind telling me that it needs the driveline for reducing the inertia, whether it be the clutch or the torque converter, they have weight enough to slow down the flywheel speed as it is running.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Run it if you want, as long as it has a flywheel.

The reduced intertia from the lack of clutch will just make it rev faster, like a car with a lightened flywheel.

Are you having trouble sourcing a transmission? In my neck of the woods, there is no shortage of 4-spd slush boxes.

Run it if you want, as long as it has a flywheel.

The reduced intertia from the lack of clutch will just make it rev faster, like a car with a lightened flywheel.

Are you having trouble sourcing a transmission? In my neck of the woods, there is no shortage of 4-spd slush boxes.

Compression,

I'm good to go on the 4-speed auto, just trying to figure out how I'm going to mount the beast. I got it from an '84 Maxima, and (Bonus!) somewhere in it's 24 years, the PO had a Japanese engine swap done, but they dorked it - They put an L20A in it instead of a L24, so I got the added luck of a 6 bolt flexplate with my very clean looking 4 speed auto. I am more familiar with the mounting for the 3 speed, just behind the pan, but the 4 speed is stubbier and I'm thinking maybe mounting it near the back, by the tailshaft.

Except he isn't planning to put a flywheel on- just a lightweight sheet steel flexplate.

I'd use a flywheel, or at least bolt an empty torque converter to the flexplate. The reason is you won't get a realistic tune with no flywheel weight. But it won't damage the engine unless you overspeed it.

Except he isn't planning to put a flywheel on- just a lightweight sheet steel flexplate.

I'd use a flywheel, or at least bolt an empty torque converter to the flexplate. The reason is you won't get a realistic tune with no flywheel weight. But it won't damage the engine unless you overspeed it.

Just what I was thinking... as long as you bolt up the converter, your good! :D