72 1200 with h145 rear end noise

hurricane14

so, we got the project on the road last week and things were ok for the first couple days. then starting getting a noise from the rear end, at higher speeds first, then gradually worse at most all speeds. everything shifts and drives fine, no shakes or anything. i checked and driveshaft and u-joints seem ok. i am thinking wheel (axle) bearings.....?? there is plenty of fluid in the diff and it looks ok (not too dirty or burnt) so we just parked it again and are going to try and look at it this weekend.

any ideas or advice before we get into it? hoping to get it driveable to continue working out the kinks and have reliable for my son's daily to school and around town before moving on to larger portions of replacing whole component, upgrades, etc.

skib, feel free to come back in the restaurant. i've got a few pints for you..........to make up for some basic questions... :P

i did search, but found mostly driveshaft, u-joint, or rear end swap info.... not much on h145.... maybe i need to modify how i am searching....???

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so, we got the project on the road last week and things were ok for the first couple days. then starting getting a noise from the rear end, at higher speeds first, then gradually worse at most all speeds. everything shifts and drives fine, no shakes or anything. i checked and driveshaft and u-joints seem ok. i am thinking wheel (axle) bearings.....?? there is plenty of fluid in the diff and it looks ok (not too dirty or burnt) so we just parked it again and are going to try and look at it this weekend.

any ideas or advice before we get into it? hoping to get it driveable to continue working out the kinks and have reliable for my son's daily to school and around town before moving on to larger portions of replacing whole component, upgrades, etc.

skib, feel free to come back in the restaurant. i've got a few pints for you..........to make up for some basic questions... :P

i did search, but found mostly driveshaft, u-joint, or rear end swap info.... not much on h145.... maybe i need to modify how i am searching....???

Doublecheck the driveshaft, loosen at the diff and check for stiffness of the u-joints without pulling out of the trans. I had very similar symptoms to what you described that ended up being a stiff u-joint, and it was not obvious until the driveshaft was pulled (we thought it was a bad trans).

ok, so dropped the rear end, pulled the axles and wheel/axle bearings are not totally wasted, but bad enough, and diff is tight and looks good, so pretty sure that is our noise (hoping). found diff and pinion bearings at napa so going to do those since we have it out. found the wheel oil seals and bearing collars online, should be here today.

however, having a hard time finding the actual bearings themselves either by year/model or part number cross over. all numbers i've found from 1200.com lead to some places online, even o'reilly, but once i actually get them to place the order, they all come back with N.L.A. :confused: .

so, taking them down to a local bearing shop and see if they can match them up.......?? i will get some pics and an update hopefully soon.

also thinking of getting the rear leaf bushings that morrisun had made up since we have everything out right now and wrap up the whole rear section.

it's at my buddy's shop who is a mechanic and a hundred times more knowledgable than me, so we'll see where that goes.

on a good note, my son just left the bearing place and picked up a pair of bearings that should work for the axles. :thumbup:

cross our fingers..........

• 2 weeks later...

well........... turned out the bearings were wrong :mad: .............just before trying to order from AUS/NZ/?? i tried the dealer one last time. maita on auburn blvd is a waste of space, future in roseville was helpful enough to at least look at the factory and other dealers and lookey here, vallejo has 10!!!! :w00t: . called vallejo nissan and john estrada in parts was very helpful and shipped them ups to my house. turns out they are a group of "crusty old parts guys" that supply robello racing and are more than willing to take the time and talk with you and go the extra mile to look for any parts you may be trying to find, so a little plug for them. :thumbup:

anyway, got one side done and in last night, finished the metal chasis bushings we got from morrisun, and other rubber bushings ordered online so need to do the other side tonight. also got new brake master and swapped a wheel cylinder from an old 510 so hope to be done soon and new build thread with pics of everything next week or so. oh, and the diff was felt pretty good so we left that, just need to track down a pinion seal as it looked like it may be leaking a bit.