transmission information help...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The simplest/easiest/cheapest would be the 71B transmission as it was used on the L28 anyway. The FS5W71B from the '80-'83 280zx has the better gear set for the larger L28E motor and a monster overdrive 5th gear for cruise economy. The same L series transmission is used in the '77-'78 280z and '79280zx, '79-'84 810/Maxima, '77-'79 620 truck and '80 720 2wd truck but with a variety of wide and mid ratio gear sets. It should fit the early 240z without drive shaft mods but only if it is about 31.5" long. The rear trans mount will possibly need modifying. You will need a release bearing collar that is matched to what ever pressure plate is on your L28 now.

I doubt the FS5R90A T-5 will fit the 240z tunnel without cutting. It is large, heavy and not really that strong. You definitely will have to cut the driveshaft. It may even have a different spline count on the output.

What year of 240z do you have ?

combine the FS5W17B with a 3.90 R200 and SCOOT with a drop in rpm's due to the .74 over-drive gear ! Woot !!!

3.54 diff's work just fine as well (factory default)

You may want to avoid 1975 280z R200 3.54 differential's .. they have a differential pinion-flange cup size than the others R200's I believe ?

They are just fine to use mechanically it's simply a flange matchup issue.

*The early 240z's have a driveshaft almost 2" shorter. This is due to the mustache bar locating the differential 2" farther forward.

*If you have an early 240z and converting to an open R200 differential ... you will need a 280z mustache bar and a correct length later 240z (72-73) driveshaft ...

even a coupe 280z driveshaft will work fine ( but has swedged u-joints that need to be cut/pressed out by a driveshaft place ... they will also install replaceable u-joints in )

*Also you can use the rear mount on the 280z is thicker gauge steel ... and has a larger cut-out for the larger exhaust ... your current 240z one will work just fine though (it's thinner) !

80-83 Nissan 5spd + 280z R200(3.90) + p195/60/14 or p205/60/14 tires = scooting fun

80-83 Nissan 5spd + 280z R200 or 240z R180 (3.54) p195/60/14 or p205/60/14 tires = economical scooting ,,, but still fun ! ;) ((( R180 3.54 diff's come from auto-tragic 240z's )))

read this = http://www.zhome.com...GearRatios.html :)

remember ... the zcar doesn't start to come alive until about 3,000 rpm's (think freeway and calculate rpm's with your setup's)

decide gas mileage or fun ... :lol:

good luck !

The 80-83 280zx transmission are the best, when my 81 zx was stock i loved the longer gears now that i have a 83 zxt drivetrain L28ET & T-5 the only thing i could say i hate is the T-5 really short gears i wouldn't mind if i was racing it or what not but i don't so wish i would have just kept my N/A transmission.

The 80-83 280zx transmission are the best, when my 81 zx was stock i loved the longer gears now that i have a 83 zxt drivetrain L28ET & T-5 the only thing i could say i hate is the T-5 really short gears i wouldn't mind if i was racing it or what not but i don't so wish i would have just kept my N/A transmission.

yeah i just found a 80-83 5 speed for $120 about an hour from me.. Going to snag it tommorow!!:)