Little video of my 280zx

DevilZX

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can i get the suspension setup? nice zx!

Just the basic Tokico HP shocks/spring combo all the way around. ST stabilizer bars front and rear. Poly bushings in the front (have to do rear still. Have aluminum subframe bushings to install). I slotted the front strut tower for more camber and caster. Rota RB-R 17x9 (215/50R17...Ford Focus tires... just for daily driving and mucking about..Free!) in front and 17x9.5 rear (255/40R17).

Plans for some Koni race valve shocks/struts in a coilover setup in the future. Also, fender flares and adding a few inches to the lips of the rims...

• 4 weeks later...

I love the ZX (which is something I don't particularly say too often).

One thing that kind of bothered me about how the rolling shots were, was it faded in before he started moving. I feel like beginning your pan, then having the video fade in is a bit cleaner. Just my .02, I'm not a film student or anything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
On 10/19/2012 at 10:14 PM, FricFrac said:

Nice 🙂 More S130 love! The Rota's are the cat's ass for these cars... I'm running 17x9.5 on all four corners 235/255 and Yasin is braver than I running 255/275 and they look amazing!

For the love of God, could you, or someone, anyone tell me how tall of tires you guys are running?  235, 255/40r17?   275/35r17?  

My 1979 is lowered, I'm gong to roll the fenders and need to pick tires.  Please help.

What rim size are you planning? The largest optional rim was 15" on the zx. Too large a rim looks goofy in the wheel wells but if you were born after 95 you're probably used to goofy rims and rubber bands for tires. Rim size has nothing to do with width or height, that's all in the tire you choose. You can get the same width and height tires on a 17" as a 14", just the rim is larger. If you go taller you will upset the gear ratio the engine 'sees' and the speedometer will read wrong and your acceleration be more sluggish.

The largest factory mag for the zx was a 205/60R15 being 8" wide and 24.7" tall. A 205/50R17 is the same width and only a 1/4" taller. So again find out what you have (probably 195/70R14) about 7" wide and 24.7" tall.

Look at what you have now for rim and tire and see how much room wider you can go. Rim off set is probably the most important thing to watch out for. Off set is the in and out position of the rim and tire when mounted.  

Make the tires fit the car... not the car fit the tires. Don't 'roll the fenders' it looks bad and removes the fender rigidity.  Do your own homework on this and you should be able to fit nice ride rubber that doesn't rub.

On January 6, 2021 at 10:52 PM, tylerkck said:

For the love of God, could you, or someone, anyone tell me how tall of tires you guys are running?  235, 255/40r17?   275/35r17?  

My 1979 is lowered, I'm gong to roll the fenders and need to pick tires.  Please help.

You can run pretty wide what suspension and wheel size.  Wheel offset has a lot to do with it as well.

I know, I know, I did that, I know.  I think these fine young men's cars look great.  You get that great looking stance with lowered springs, usually coil-overs, fender rolling and stuffing a lot of tire in there.  I bet they're running 255/40R17 which is 25" tall, as I don't think the next size down exists (35) and the next size up (45) is 26" tall, but maybe.

Yasin fit 275's on the rear of his ZX, are they 35's or 40's!?    Did he fit 25.7" tall tires on the rear or 24.6?