carrier bearing or rubber shot?

travis06lly

Well monday night i got my 620 back together n did a little burnout in my driveway and ended up screwing up my carrier bearing. Ive been reading on here that the bearings hardly ever fail that its just the rubber around the bearing! So people r saying they just get some real think rubber to wrap around the bearing it self but non of the pictures are working or i cant see them. Can somebody please post up a picture on how in the world they fid this. Do u just wrap the bearing with rubber inbetween the metal loop and bearing or what?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The outside of the driveshaft around the bearing doesn't move. The driveshaft and the bearing turn inside this. The rubber strip, about an inch wide, can be wrapped around this part like a jelly role and built up to take the place of the missing isolator. You may have to glue it and let set or wire it in place. When installed there is a two piece 'cage' that supports the old isolator that wraps around the new rubber and clamps it in place. It's a lot of fitting and trying but it will work as long as it is snug when finished.

I did this for a temp fix but it worked so well I left it for years. I didn't take a picture of it. The rubber isolator looks like this:

620dsisolator002Large.jpg

620driveshaft003Large.jpg

The small metal ring can be left off of your 'roll'.

The outside of the driveshaft around the bearing doesn't move. The driveshaft and the bearing turn inside this. The rubber strip, about an inch wide, can be wrapped around this part like a jelly role and built up to take the place of the missing isolator. You may have to glue it and let set or wire it in place. When installed there is a two piece 'cage' that supports the old isolator that wraps around the new rubber and clamps it in place. It's a lot of fitting and trying but it will work as long as it is snug when finished.

I did this for a temp fix but it worked so well I left it for years. I didn't take a picture of it. The rubber isolator looks like this:

620dsisolator002Large.jpg

620driveshaft003Large.jpg

So are you saying for instance the top picture that whole metal ring thing comes off then u wrap rubber around it the tighten it back into the metal loop piece Thats bolted down on the frame?

The small metal ring can be left off of your 'roll'.