How to find a drive shaft for a '71 PL 521 ?

jbellows75

hi there all, i'm very new to this forum but am super stoked to see that such a cool community exists! That said, i have a problem. I was making a round trip from Los Angeles to Omaha and ran into a bit of trouble in Las Vegas. My truck started making a strange, low pitched vibration, stronger or weaker, depending upon the amount of throttle pressure I'm using. In Vegas a very loud "CLUNK" put a sudden stop to my trip. When i looked under the truck I found there was no drive shaft under there anymore. Crud! Does anyone have a resource for old Datsun drive shafts?

Thank you for your consideration, rock on ratsuns

jake

p.s. please let me know if i've posted this in the wrong area, as I said, I'm a new recruit. B)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look in a Vegas area junk yard. There is a very slim possibility a driveshaft from a 620 shortbed may fit. You could not have possibily gotr to far without it. Look back in the road where you lost it.

Google "driveshaft", and "Los Vegas" and see what pops up. Most midsized to larger citys have drive shaft repair shops.

Thank you for the reply. I was in a pinch and my friend,(another datsun owner) borrowed and truck and we got the vehicle back to los angeles. I did find the drive shaft, but it had been completely ruined by a rough exchange with a semi truck. I'll look into the possible shortbox 620 option, thanks!

check out the Pick n pull website's inventory feature for your area. I've had a lot of luck finding 521's in my area. But that will require some patience. If it's your DD I would do as Draker suggested, or get a custom one-piece aluminum one made. Probly between $200-300. A shop up here quoted me $280 for a custom shaft.

damn, i just checked for L.A. locations and there aren't any PnP's down there. lame nvm. good luck

Edited by skyblue521

Sorry but the 620 driveshaft isn't going to work.

The 521 uses a splined 'slip yoke' that allows the driveshaft to collapse and expand as the rear end moves forward or back. Something like the picture below. If you have the yokes but the tube is bent/destroyed it can be renewed. but $$$ The best thing is a used one from a '70 and on 521.

1350%20Slip%20Yoke.jpg