Any one use a Steering Stabilizer

mrbigtanker

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I replaced my entire front end and still wasnt happy with how the steering felt, I added the monroe universal stabilizer from rock auto and it helped quite a bit. The stabilizer is NOT used for fighting harmonics, it is used to prevent sudden unneeded movements of the steering, such as hitting a rut or an un even place in the road.

They are much like a shock absorber. One end to the body or frame and the other to the steering cross rod. In no way must the damper top or bottom out and limit the full travel of the steering. Not really needed on cars and trucks on pavement. Off road or gravel/dirt roads perhaps. It smooths sudden jars on manual steering. Power steering seems (to me) to already be dampened.

These will never feel like a modern car's steering. I don't even notice it until I have to turn 1/4 turn to keep from drifting around in the lanes. A stabilizer won't help take up slop. You'll either still have the slop at the wheel, but it'll be harder to turn, or the slop feel goes away at the steering wheel but the tires still wander around. It might mask it, but the problem is still there. Plus the added tension will actually speed up wear on the steering gearbox.