Update DYNO at Canby 2008

Mods, sorry for starting another Canby thread, but I wanted people to see this. This is a great opportunity to test and tune your car.

Cox Performance Motorsports is bringing a dyno to the show for both days!

Dyno_pics_005.109210928_std.jpg

For those who dont know, a dyno is a tool to measure the horsepower and torque at your drive wheels. You strap your car to it, and do a full throttle run, usually in 3rd gear. Horsepower and torque is measured and plotted out across the RPM range. Pretty safe and fun stuff.

Special show prices are:

* 2 runs for $40

* 1 drag run for $35

or

* 2 runs and 1 drag run for $50

All runs come with certificates of HP and Torque and times

Got a friend with BS stories about how fast his car is? 200? 300 hp? 12 second quarters? whatever, here is your chance to make him prove it!

:D

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always heard that your 1:1 ratio gear is the one you use on a Dyno.

I have done HP/Torque pulls on two different dynojets, third gear was used both times. If you wanted a top speed reading, 4th could be used. You could even do all the gears, if you wanted to know different speeds through the gears, although math would work just fine for that also.

From what I could tell, if you want to map your power throughout the RPM range, you basically want a gear that will give a long slow pull from as low of an RPM as possible. 1st or 2nd will be too spikey, and with a taller gear like 4th or 5th, you may not be able to get the rollers going at a low enough RPM.

Now for just a max power or dragstrip pull, things may be different. Also, there are different models of dynos too. I guess we will see how the Cox guys do theirs.

Bleach, how long has your avatar been animated? I just noticed. :)

Its been animated for about 3 months now.

Back in 99 when I dynoed my 280ZX they told me 4th gear only. I did 3 pulls.

Recently I dynoed my 350Z and they did a couple 4th gear pulls (I thought for warmup, since 5th is the 1:1 ratio) and then one 5th gear pull. (its a 6-speed) 1:1 gear produced a more smooth curve and slightly more torque. Just wondering though. I'm not a dyno expert. My car is still stock though so I wont' be needing another pull.

If I bring an electric car, we can do a 4th gear pull right from a dead stop! :D

See if it can live up to the 60hp badge on the fender
60 HP is at the flywheel, where manufacturers measure HP.

The dyno will measure HP at the wheels, expect less than the flywheel rating. Newer cars with updated SAE specifications have a closer figure, about 1/3 down at the wheels...they say it is the drivetrain (gear mesh, transmission oil, etc) that takes the HP away.

Expect a top E12 Datsun 320 engine to be around 30 HP at the wheels.

60 HP is at the flywheel, where manufacturers measure HP.

The dyno will measure HP at the wheels, expect less than the flywheel rating. Newer cars with updated SAE specifications have a closer figure, about 1/3 down at the wheels...they say it is the drivetrain (gear mesh, transmission oil, etc) that takes the HP away.

Expect a top E12 Datsun 320 engine to be around 30 HP at the wheels.

The Canadian datto dude's dynoed a 100% stock 510 and found that at worste the 510 drive train loss is about 17% not to bad I though. Now if you add a ford 9" and some other hard to turn bits I can see added loss.

Sure, 17% of net, e.g. 1973 510 ratings. But 1968 ratings were not SAE net, they were GROSS which were higher, less accurate ratings. So expect a big difference at the rear wheels.

Somewhere between late 60s and early 70s the measurements change from GROSS to NET. For american manufacturers as I recall it was 1971.

• 2 weeks later...