New to club with '72 1200

EPTXDatsun

I recently picked up a 1200 sedan in Tucson. I'd been wanting a 1200 for awhile and did a CL search out of the blue and this one came up. I called the dude and it soudned good so I made plans to pick it up a few days later. It was pretty much original one-owner car with the exception of some minor crappy bondo work on the passenger side. It had original paint and engine, etc. Suspension seems pretty solid too. My plans are up in the air at this time. However, the first stop was the body shop to get it to look good. While patina is cool, I decided to take a different route with this one. I am having it repainted in the original orange color. I am also going to get the bumpers and trim repaired and chrome dipped. I would like to lower it a bit and throw some rims on it ASAP. I found a set of 14x6.5 mesh wheels I had on my AE86 Corolla at one time which will have some 185/55R14 tires mounted shortly. Long term plans are an engine and drivetrain swap. Not sure which to go with, though. I like the idea of a 13BT or an SR20DET, but I have an F20C sitting at my warehouse that would still give me good economy and plenty of power. Choices, choices.

Here's some pics:

Previous owner sent me this one:

92BC7754-AF38-4B19-ABD2-15297657C64B-12705-000006BDAF6E42E1.jpg

I never got to take any decent pics before the shop started tearing into it. Here it is at the bodyshop:

B3479EF8-203C-4720-A9F5-A5F436EEB2A7-12705-000006BDA65EB7C9.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently picked up a 1200 sedan in Tucson. I'd been wanting a 1200 for awhile and did a CL search out of the blue and this one came up. I called the dude and it soudned good so I made plans to pick it up a few days later. It was pretty much original one-owner car << SNIP

Dang, so you took another 1200 out of Arizona!!!! We need all the Datsun's we find in this state! JK B) LOL. Nice looking sedan though. Looking forward to seeing more about it.

Possible the front valence was replaced at some point? :confused:

Another tip-off is if it has the little "fasten seat belts" light on the top center of the dash? Or wiper/headlight knobs that light up? Got either of those?

My 72' Coupe has the "fasten seat belts" light on top of the dash, but I don't have lighted knobs. So maybe some of the years got mixed in???? B)

Dale - AZ

int2.jpg

• Like 1

Dang, so you took another 1200 out of Arizona!!!! We need all the Datsun's we find in this state! JK B) LOL. Nice looking sedan though. Looking forward to seeing more about it.

My 72' Coupe has the "fasten seat belts" light on top of the dash, but I don't have lighted knobs. So maybe some of the years got mixed in???? B)

Dale - AZ

int2.jpg

Same here, my '72 has a build date of 1/72, no lighted knobs, but a "Fasten Seat Belts" light on top of the dash.

Same with my 72....Fasten seat belt deal on the dash and no lighted knobs, build date 4/72......can neither confirm nor deny that the dash is original, ya'll know how it goes right?

• 3 weeks later...

I got some185/55R14 tires and mounted them on a set of Perrier Mesh 14x6.5 +10 I had previously on my AE86.

BB87A0F7-FAF7-46E0-A38A-725EEC1F89C6-123-0000000A576BDA88.jpg

I needed more power, but how to go about it was the question. Originally, I was thinking SR20DET or 13BT. However, I had a F20C engine/tranny combo laying around that I planned to install in my AE86. Well, after going to my warehouse and starting the Corolla up, I couldn't bring myself to take out the perfectly running 235k mile 4AGE. My decision was made for me and I decided to do the F20C swap in the 1200.

After chatting with Ricardo Ramirez at the JCCS, I asked who did the swap on his SR20DET powered 1200 and he told me Wrench-Pro in Santa Fe Springs, CA. Well, after seeing the work on his car and asking if he recommended them (he did-highly), I decided they would be the shop to go to. I spoke with them and decided to take the plunge and ship it over from TX to CA. I pulled it out of the body shop halfway through the body/paint work to get the engine swap done. I had it dropped off yesterday and they were wrenching on it today:

EC45A59E-1A0D-47E2-9E62-D5A997079C7E-123-0000000A3B7959A5.jpg

Now all I need is a damn windshield!

Hrm... Not sure what to think. I love the sunny, but I'm not a huge fan of bastardized swaps. I'm sure it will be fun to drive though.. so good luck!!

I appreciate the sentiment. I know some purists will frown on the build. It's all hardware to me, and while I have my limits (I wouldn't put an LSX in my Porsches no matter how powerful!) the F20C is an engine I have been wanting to sample. I've never been a big fan of the S2000, but really love the specs of the powertrain.

Fun and reliability are key for me on this car so originality never factored in. I'm a lover of all cars, so this car is an experiment as I have never cross-bred platforms and drivetrains before. I plan to install A/C in it and drive it as often as possible. I normally trailer my cars to shows, but this one will be driven to JCCS '13.

Is that a S2000 motor? It looks like it fits nice, and having a rocket ship 1200 sounds cool to me! It's your car, have fun with it.

Yup, S2000 engine. Thanks, it fits surprisingly well. I'm also having portions of the body stitch welded to better cope with the added power. Should be a nice little combo with the light weight of the 1200 and high revving nature of the F20C. Long term plans include a turbo setup and standalone. However, I want to see how it copes with 200whp and stock ecu, etc. before I go crazy down the road.

Nice job so far. But please tell me your going to clean up that engine bay. I hate to see people go thru all that work and just settle for a black spray can engine bay.

With that little car and that motor I don't see the need for a turbo. Unless you have a death wish. :rofl:

Nice job so far. But please tell me your going to clean up that engine bay. I hate to see people go thru all that work and just settle for a black spray can engine bay.

With that little car and that motor I don't see the need for a turbo. Unless you have a death wish. :rofl:

Yes, that was just a test fit. The engine bay is going to be sprayed the same color as the body. I'm not in a huge rush to turbo it...yet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...