My first Datsun - '71 510 4D

qwk_snd

Picked this bad boy up over the weekend... Drove all the way to San Diego, from Tulsa, to get it, IN ONE WEEKEND! lol

Has a FRESHLY rebuilt, break-in miles only, L16 motor with 240z flat top pistons, U67 2.0l Ed Hale ported head with cam, rare NISMO adjustable top timing gear, dual SU carberators (also from the NISMO catalog), an SSS distributor and Energy suspension lowering coils, paired with 5way adjustable Tokiko 280z strut inserts in shortened, 2" diameter strut casings and bump spacers. ALL BRAND NEW polyurathane front bushings and tie rods and center controll assembly, ball joints and New Nissan strut to body bushings. Brand New adjustable T/C rod from TECHNO TOY TUNING. New alignment. Brand New idler arm, Brand New motor mounts. motor compartment sandblasted and re-painted. new clutch. Brand New rear engine mount, also new brakes and hoses. Nissan alt and starter. Electronic ignition. Brand new 3row aluminum radiator, Electric fans. Electric fuel pump. Freshly re-covered seats. Heater and everything else works. GT steering wheel. Shortened shifter. New exhaust system, Original low miles(39,000). New carpet. Four speed installed but came with a five speed 280z transmission and a TON of other parts as well.

321801_10151402696126982_123669259_o.jpg

192971_10151403987946982_555003247_o.jpg

202729_10151402116621982_84914533_o.jpg

201101_10151404497351982_2069689016_o.jpg

IMAG0289.jpg

IMAG0290.jpg

IMAG0292.jpg

IMG_1517_2.jpg

IMG_8748_2.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys! Eric, the previous owner, was VERY passionate about this car. Hell, he cried as I drove away in it! I can promise that I will contine to build and restore this car with the same kind of passion that Eric had for it. I can't wait to start ordering parts!

What all are you planning on doing to this?

I'd like to upgrade the rear suspension, then just start replacing all of the window/door seals and all of the rubber that's old and dry rotted, have the dent's fixed via paintless dent repair, then have all of the trim and other pieces rechromed/restrored to look factory original. I want to keep it close to original, but at the same time make it my own. Trust this though, I am VERY tasteful with my mods, so anything that is done will be done right and look great. My favorite saying is, "KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid".

Sounds like a great plan to me. As for the trim parts, stainless can't be rechromed but polished, and any pot-metal and aluminum will be pricey, just for friendly FYI. I used to work for a chrome shop here and Utah, but can get you set up through them still if you were interested

Sounds like a great plan to me. As for the trim parts, stainless can't be rechromed but polished, and any pot-metal and aluminum will be pricey, just for friendly FYI. I used to work for a chrome shop here and Utah, but can get you set up through them still if you were interested

I will definitely be interested in having some chrome work done. I'm HOPING that I can find someone local to do it for reasonable rate, but if I can't, I'll be hitting you up! Thanks man!

I will definitely be interested in having some chrome work done. I'm HOPING that I can find someone local to do it for reasonable rate, but if I can't, I'll be hitting you up! Thanks man!

Well they're called Ogden Chrome, (801-394-9449) and they pay for shipping both ways. Call 'em up and say that you've got X amount of boxes this size and approx. weight, and they'll have FedEx come and pick it up from your house. Then they'll get a price put together and call you for your approval. They can do your bumpers as well if you needed.

Nothing really to upgrade on the rear .

I got koni shocks and some Suspension techniq springs in the rear ,Im calling it good.

those T3 tension rods up front are the shit. My car drives really straight now with them stop straight also.

You could maybe lower the front abit. Crap just cut a coil.If you dont have coil overs already

Well, I crawled under it tonight and discovered it has spacers under the struts up front. Will it hurt anything to take those out? I'd like to bring it down some more, definitely in the front! The rear rides REALLY soft and I'd like to stiffen it up some for sure.

Well they're called Ogden Chrome, (801-394-9449) and they pay for shipping both ways. Call 'em up and say that you've got X amount of boxes this size and approx. weight, and they'll have FedEx come and pick it up from your house. Then they'll get a price put together and call you for your approval. They can do your bumpers as well if you needed.

AWESOME. Thanks for the info man! Greatly appreciated!

Nice score. I'm in OC and check Craigslist all the time. How did you find this car?

It was on craigslist! I did a nationwide craigslist search and came across this in San Diego/Santee area.

I wouldn't say coilovers would be the best option for only an inch. For a single inch, I would say cut springs would be perfect. Then after that I would choose lowering springs, then cut and reweld the perches, then coilovers. I would not spend nearly $1000 just to lower a car an inch.

I would start at cutting the stock springs. It's free and you can see if you like it. After that you can move up the chain of work and price.

I agree with the grind! I cut the welds on my front spring perches, ground the leftover welds off of the strut tube, used a "split collar" slid down the strut tube a little lower, and cut my springs 1-1/2 coils. Car had a nice stance, not too low, rode pretty well, with new strut inserts/shocks. If you do that, remember that the spring perch will "rotate" on the split collar when you put it all back together (it just sits on top of the collar), so be sure that the "highest point" of that perch is facing the tire, so you get all the tire clearance you can!

Well, the car has "Energy suspension lowering coils, paired with 5way adjustable Tokiko 280z strut inserts in shortened, 2" diameter strut casings and bump spacers." That's directly from the previous owner. I don't want to sacrifice ride quality at all, as I plan on actually auto-crossing this thing!