1970 521 for my first car

shnobs521

Im looking at buying a 521 for $2200. Its got a new paint job with new rims. Overall the body is fine along with slight rust and tear in the interior. The only problem I've ran into with buying it is that it has 600,000 miles on it. Could any body help me out with making my decision or tell me if it will be able to run much longer without having to put too much work into it?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need help making my final decision on buying a 521 for $2200. A buddy of mine is selling it to me, it has a new paint job, new rims, new tires, and is also lowered. This will be my first car but the only problems with it is it has 600,000 miles along with slight rusted interior. Other than that it runs fine. Could anybody tell me how long these models usually run for? And if buying this truck is a good idea or not?

oics and status of motor? if the owner has put new rims and paint on it ...the motor should run, and if it does well its a coin toss it might be held together with chewing gum paper clips and leather belts, or its strong, he might just want his money back for the paint and rims, either way look at a swap or rebuild in the near future !!

Even if the motor's ready to die, that's a good deal for the mechanical type, assuming you love the paint and wheels. Bought mine for 1000 with barely running motor, bad paint, crap tires, and the only good wheel set had two bent to fuck rims. No I couldn't sell it for what I put into it, but you add it up over the next 300,000 miles or so, and your cost per mile is LOW, and my enjoyment is off the charts high. It's important it's actually being driven till now, no surprise problems like master, slave and wheel cylinders, frozen parts, etc. I drive my 521 because it's what I like, but it gets sooo much attention. the honking, and people yelling random shit, thumbs up, and buying offers take some getting used to, but I like it.

600k miles.????????????

I dont believe it. The guy must be rich to take care of this rig this long with this many miles.

Datdoug and RickRat have a crew of Datsun guys in your area.Get ahold of them.

My personal belief is if you dont have a 400 pc Crafts mans set and a multimeter this rig is not for you.

They aare 40years old and they break.

I got my 521 for 1000$ and the list of what I replaced is 2 pages long. in 10years of owner ship. But so much has been replaced on it. for 2200 It better be on the better side .

You got a garage?

datsuns are a Hobby now for us. I daily drive a 521 but I have 2 other Datsuns and have had 2 go down at once.

i got my truck for 800 bucks when i was 17 and had only a 200 piece set and no garage. you can do it if you know what you are doing, datsuns are not complicated vehicles, you just gotta have the love for it. if you dont really care about the truck or any desire to learn automotive stuff, then this is not the vehicle for you. good luck!

• Like 1

I would like to see some pictures of the truck. Show pictures of the engine.

Heed the advise about having backup transportation. For what it is worth, new paint does not make a truck run better, or more reliably.

Now, you are driving a 40 plus year old truck. A truck that required maintenance every 3000 miles if you follow the factory schedule, WHEN IT WAS NEW! It needs a minor tune up every 3000 mines. Brakes adjusted, lube job. It needs a major tuneup every 12000 miles.

The new paint tells me somebody cared for this truck, if the paint job is a good one. But, if the paint job was a quick one, they person who had the truck painted is trying to hide something.

Lowering the truck to me is a red flag. What else did they do to the truck?

• Like 1

I would like to see some pictures of the truck. Show pictures of the engine.

Heed the advise about having backup transportation. For what it is worth, new paint does not make a truck run better, or more reliably.

Now, you are driving a 40 plus year old truck. A truck that required maintenance every 3000 miles if you follow the factory schedule, WHEN IT WAS NEW! It needs a minor tune up every 3000 mines. Brakes adjusted, lube job. It needs a major tuneup every 12000 miles.

The new paint tells me somebody cared for this truck, if the paint job is a good one. But, if the paint job was a quick one, they person who had the truck painted is trying to hide something.

Lowering the truck to me is a red flag. What else did they do to the truck?

hahaha my truck had a few other owners and

At a ponit in her life someone looked at her nice green color and said to themselves

"Imma not sand a thing on this truck and paint it" bolts an all! Engine in bay it seems lke.

He was covering up the bad...

this sounds suspicious. <_< pics or GTFO.

kidding. these guys are all on point with the advice. there's not much i can say that they haven't other than we need pics of said 521. oh wait Daniel said that already.